Here we go

Taking it to due process is generally the way these things get accomplished, unfortunately. It was that way 20 years ago with my own son, and it is still true today.

Ugh, you're right -- I've heard this. I'm just so glad it's not yet gotten brutal. I've heard that once you establish out of district placement, it's a lot more difficult to reverse that decision.

Ugh, you're right -- I've heard this. I'm just so glad it's not yet gotten brutal. I've heard that once you establish out of district placement, it's a lot more difficult to reverse that decision.

Absolutely. The fact that you have managed to get out of district placement approved, usually by an administrative law judge, discourages the school system from going against that ruling. Just a shame that it has to be done because of a legal ruling rather than true concern for the well being of the child.

We agreed to transport her the first year (we'd been driving her to and from their daycare center there for the 2 years prior, so not a big change for us), and that made a $25K difference to the school budget
OT, but I wonder if arrangments like this might help with out of district placements for parents who can afford it. It does seem like weird incidental things like transportation etc are the big things that really eat up a school budget.

I'm just flabbergasted about the teacher communicating with her students through an interpreter. It makes me wonder who is going into deaf education these days-- hope the meeting goes/went well!

Flabbergasted - I'll give you another fine example of schools shafting our kids. The only interpreter in Virginia going through training to work with deaf/blind students is being fired at the end of this school year. She currently works with a multi handicapped deaf/blind student who will then be stuck without the necessary support..........and no one gives a crap!!!

Flabbergasted - I'll give you another fine example of schools shafting our kids. The only interpreter in Virginia going through training to work with deaf/blind students is being fired at the end of this school year. She currently works with a multi handicapped deaf/blind student who will then be stuck without the necessary support..........and no one gives a crap!!!

Virginia Project for Children and Youth with Deaf-Blindness

Check your facts.

I'm just flabbergasted about the teacher communicating with her students through an interpreter. It makes me wonder who is going into deaf education these days-- hope the meeting goes/went well!

So am I!!! how on earth can a "teacher for the Deaf" NOT be expected to be FLUENT in ASL?????? WTH????

I did.....they were the ones who informed me that this one interpreter is the one and only interpreter in the state of Virginia taking the college courses that is providing her with the knowledge to work with deaf/blind students. My grandson is also registered with the Deaf/Blind Project.

So Bottesini what exactly is your point?

Oh, and they are an informative group and not a group permitted to advocate.

Last edited:
So am I!!! how on earth can a "teacher for the Deaf" NOT be expected to be FLUENT in ASL?????? WTH????

Look at Virginia law.

LIS > Administrative Code > 8VAC20-542-460

Don't let the word proficiency throw you. It is up to each district to decide what is proficient. Each district gets to decide who evaluates the teacher if at all. No reporting to the state is required as to "proficiency".

I did.....they were the ones who informed me that this one interpreter is the one and only interpreter in the state of Virginia taking the college courses that is providing her with the knowledge to work with deaf/blind students. My grandson is also registered with the Deaf/Blind Project.

So Bottesini what exactly is your point?

Oh, and they are an informative group and not a group permitted to advocate.

That you made it seem as if there was only one deaf/blind interpreter will to gain knowledge to work with deaf/blind students.

Reading my link would provide you with more information on the topic.

The only interpreter in Virginia going through training to work with deaf/blind students is being fired at the end of this school year. She currently works with a multi handicapped deaf/blind student who will then be stuck without the necessary support..........and no one gives a crap!!!
Why is she being fired? I wonder if the funders think "oh very very small population, not worth it to fund them." Unfortunatly for pediatric deaf blind kids, most of them tend to be multihandicapped (but all along the spectrum from mild to profound) so that is a very difficult niche to educate. I remember reading that only a small percentage of kids have deafblindness as their primary disabilty. Like most deafblind are actually severely multihandicapped, and need teachers who are experianced in teaching kids with severe disabilites, rather then an intervenor.
So am I!!! how on earth can a "teacher for the Deaf" NOT be expected to be FLUENT in ASL??????
Oh trust me, it happens ALL the time! Even at state schools for the Deaf, it happens. I know for sure Lousinana School for the Deaf, and West Virgina School for the Deaf have TODs who are NOT fluent in ASL.

Sorry for not getting back in regards to the meeting. They are still pushing for CAPS program and I'll be damned if that actually happens. Funny thing is they questioned if I would atleast go look at the program , I said "Sure - but I would also like you to go look at TLC's program as well?!" and I got "Well I need to ask my boss if that is possible" Give me a break - we did some camparisons while she was here with TLC and this CAP program they want to put her in. CAPP - 2 students TLC - 37 students CAPP- 1 teacher w/ two interpretors TLC- 4 teachers with 4 teachers Aides CAPP 1 Speech Therapist TLC- 5 Speech Therapist along with Phsycologist- Physical therapist - Multitude of Interpretors (if needed) so on so on and so on. Obviously TLC has the upper hand and if their smart they will see this and not fight me on this- other wise we will be entering mediation w/ a multitude of professionals sitting beside me! Grrrrrrrrr- momma Bear on the prowl! lol

Why is she being fired? I wonder if the funders think "oh very very small population, not worth it to fund them." Unfortunatly for pediatric deaf blind kids, most of them tend to be multihandicapped (but all along the spectrum from mild to profound) so that is a very difficult niche to educate. I remember reading that only a small percentage of kids have deafblindness as their primary disabilty. Like most deafblind are actually severely multihandicapped, and need teachers who are experianced in teaching kids with severe disabilites, rather then an intervenor.
Oh trust me, it happens ALL the time! Even at state schools for the Deaf, it happens. I know for sure Lousinana School for the Deaf, and West Virgina School for the Deaf have TODs who are NOT fluent in ASL.

Yep. I remember people complaining about Gally professerors not knowing much ASL. After meeting with some of them, I have to sympathize with the students there. That was years ago, dunno if it's true now.

ASL Momma, only TWO students in the program?!?! Would that be including Sadie? Maybe they're trying to save the program....god that is a TINY TINY preschool program?!?! I was looking at the site. It looks like it's for dhh kids who need to catch up on language aquastion (sp?) Sadie does not need ASL instruction or anything..she needs talented speech therapists who are experianced in teaching dhh kids.

ASL Momma, one idea. Have you mentioned that your other daughter also goes to TLC? Point out that Sadie can simply hitch a ride with your other daughter to TLC. Stuff like transportation can REALLY drive up costs....but maybe if they understand that they would be saving on transportation. Also looking at the CAPPS program.....it does seem like its for dhh preschoolers who haven't had a lot of exposure to ASL, and need exposure....

yeah...the laws vary...some states require that students be given the same access (even if they have to try very hard), others say that they should have every single accomodation and not cause stress on a student.

good luck.

(though if i were that teacher, i'd feel like SHIT!)

but I thought the law says qualified interpreter? not instructor? *confused*

Back