HelP!

mykel

Reaction score
My wife is hearing impaired and we are trying to adopt a child. Our agency has met with us on two different occassions, at our home, at they have never mentioned any concerns with my wife's condition. My character references have been contacted with questionaires and also phone interviews. Yesterday the agency conducted another phone interview and asked the same questions they originally asked, including concerns with my wife's ability to parent with her dissability. I am pissed! I feel this is discrimination. Should I contact a lawyer. I feel with this line of questioning, never mentioned to us, is out of line as far as for the adoption of a child and could be interpereted as a means of weeding us out.

I don't see what's wrong with a deaf couple being foster parents. There are a lot of deaf couples with their own kids. If they can do it, why can't other deaf couples foster kids?

I know a deaf guy who was adopted by deaf parents who were also adopted themselves.

I don't see what's wrong with a deaf couple being foster parents. There are a lot of deaf couples with their own kids. If they can do it, why can't other deaf couples foster kids?

I know a deaf guy who was adopted by deaf parents who were also adopted themselves.

you are correct

My husband and I are both deaf and also licensed foster parents. Our deafness was never perceived as an obstacle (at least not stated so to us). I don't remember any questions regarding our deafness.

I am guessing that the agency you are working with is ignorant in regards to deafness. If they are asking how your wife would do this or that, I would go ahead and answer them and explain it would be the same as any hearing person. If you are looking to adopt a baby and they're worried about not hearing the baby cry, explain the technology available to make a deaf person alert to the crying, etc.. I would also ask the agency what their exact concerns are regarding your wife's ability to parent. That would allow you and your wife the opportunity to address and disprove each and every one of their concerns.

I assume the two of you had your physical/medical clearance by your doctors. (My husband and I had to do that). On that form, the doctor is required to list any medical conditions. He/she may have listed your wife's deafness. However, on that same paper, there should also be a statement that declares your wife fit to be a parent. Point that out to the agency; perhaps that may help.

As frustrating and offensive the agency's line of questioning is, I would save the lawyer until you are denied a child based on your wife's deafness. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not sure they're breaking the law up until they deny you a child based on deafness.

Best of luck to you. Let us all know what happens.

Back