Help finding an ASL video "pen-pal" for my signing daughter

PeteQ

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find an ASL video pen-pal for my 14-year old daughter (she's bored signing with me!). She's taken the first ASL course and goes to a weekly ASL meet-up and can hold/follow conversations. Are there ways to do this safely, either through this site or another?

If you have a child who might be interested, please send me an email and we can try to arrange it.

Thanks, Pete

You're joking I hope . What parents in their right mind would give their child email address to a total stranger ???

To clarify...I was hoping for an address of the parent!

Sorry if the message was confusing - I intended to get the email of a parent so that we could work something out, then let the kids meet. I certainly wouldn't let my child contact people online herself, and I would hope that others wouldn't either.

I have never heard of having pen pal for your daughter unless your daughter is hearing, not deaf. If your daughter is hearing, she can have pen pal with the school teacher to help her find one from different country like England or France, etc.

But for a Deaf child at 14 years old (teenager), she can have Deaf events no matter how old she is. As for e-mail trying to meet up with other teens (teenagers), that can be a dangerous way to have e-mail online.

I don't understand why she get tired of communicating with you signing ASL. If this is her first ASL class (I assume that she is hearing), then she would sign with them in class and also attend the Deaf events if the Deaf teachers has information on where to go for young teens. This is no excuse for her to be bored with. :(

She can go to Deaf Chat Coffee. Look it up and find of there's one near where you live.

Contact Deaf school to see if they know anything about teen Deaf club for kids to meet up. I used to have a teen Deaf club in my hometown many years ago. Good luck.

Thanks for suggestions

Thanks for the ideas. We have been going to ASL night at a local coffee shop and she's met a few older kids there; that is a lot of fun. I hadn't thought about looking into a deaf club for teenagers - I'll ask at the Deaf Community Services.

Back