help!!!am in a dilemma!!!am not allowed to drive

mativu

Reaction score
i enrolled i a driving school and passed the driving test and after proceeding to the traffic headquaters for a final test and hence a dl,they deny me a chance for a driving test claiming that since am deaf,am a danger to other road users.:shock::wave:
this is not the case since i drive my paps car and now i dont know what to do since i want to get my own but then will i have to be driven and denied to get behind the driving wheel of my own car.:hmm:
i believet that this is a great setback for the deaf in my country.
what do i do???????????:shock:

wtf? they have no rights to do that. that is clearly a discrimination. If i have a bum leg or wear thick glasses, am i a danger to other road users??? go back again and demand to speak to their supervisor and if the supervisor said same thing - tell him that discrimination is a federal violation and you will sue them (just a threat so use your serious poker face) if they do not cooperate.

BTW - bring the witness (your dad or any hearing person) and use tape recorder to record the conversation. make sure you get him to clearly identify himself.

ok
but then agai they might claim that they are following the law of the land.
in the traffic act there is a clause which says something like-the traffic officer ca deny any dl candidate a chance to get a dl when the feel that the candidate has a disability/sickness that can cause danger to other road users.
now, i wonder, can deafness be termed as a disability as far as driving is concerned???????????
i think i shoul go to a court of law.

This is not unheard. This is something deaf individuals have to face in their countries like China. Would East Africa have something like a disability rights organisation that you could get help to get your rights to drive?

ok
but then agai they might claim that they are following the law of the land.
in the traffic act there is a clause which says something like-the traffic officer ca deny any dl candidate a chance to get a dl when the feel that the candidate has a disability/sickness that can cause danger to other road users.
now, i wonder, can deafness be termed as a disability as far as driving is concerned???????????
i think i shoul go to a court of law.

oh I'm sorry! I didn't realize you reside in Africa. I thought you're American. hhmmm well I don't know what can I say for your situation. I suppose it is good idea to consult with your lawyer about this matter.

ok

This is not unheard. This is something deaf individuals have to face in their countries like China. Would East Africa have something like a disability rights organisation that you could get help to get your rights to drive?

you are right.
i have contacted some disability advocators but they are kind of weak.
i believe interational ones ca do better since in their respective countries they have deaf drivers.
but i aint giving up i will drive.
am sure of it.
its just that this is a great setback to the deaf in my country and many others.

Just a question.

Is there are other Deaf people driving in your country? If there is Deaf people who do have driver license perhaps you could ask them for advices? How they got their driver license in Africa?

Wow ... interesting read this thread.. i have no word say to you but Good luck :)

yes

Just a question.

Is there are other Deaf people driving in your country? If there is Deaf people who do have driver license perhaps you could ask them for advices? How they got their driver license in Africa?

imagine i have oly met oe in my city and possibly the only one. he is a foriger possibly from america but has acquired kenyan citizenship.
he told me that for him it was a bit simpler since he had his american dl which he simply used to acquire a kenya one without undergoing a dl test.

i am yet to meet ay other. i have also heard the only few who have have been unable to access it the right channel and thus used maybe the back door to get oe. although i can get one through the same means i dont want to since i believe that i have a right to drive and in any case i want to give hope to many potential deaf drivers and deaf kids to know that one day they can also drive if they work hard enough.

I am so sorry. I don't think most Americans understand how good we have it as far as simple priviledges like driving. :hugs:

imagine i have oly met oe in my city and possibly the only one. he is a foriger possibly from america but has acquired kenyan citizenship.
he told me that for him it was a bit simpler since he had his american dl which he simply used to acquire a kenya one without undergoing a dl test.

i am yet to meet ay other. i have also heard the only few who have have been unable to access it the right channel and thus used maybe the back door to get oe. although i can get one through the same means i dont want to since i believe that i have a right to drive and in any case i want to give hope to many potential deaf drivers and deaf kids to know that one day they can also drive if they work hard enough.

I am with you on this. Is there a deaf organization that can do something about it? If the reason is the deaf might have accident, it imply that the hearing people never had a car accident. We know that hearing people do have car accidents.

Mativu, I forgot to ask you if you paid for driving school, etc. If you did, you might want to ask for the money back since they should have told you in the first place that the deaf people aren't allowed to drive.

oh yes!!!!!!!!!!! i did

Mativu, I forgot to ask you if you paid for driving school, etc. If you did, you might want to ask for the money back since they should have told you in the first place that the deaf people aren't allowed to drive.

i paid the driving school money.all of it.
i also paid the govenment's kenya revenue authority a drivng test fee and a fee for an interim driving licence which i have.
its just too discouraging for success of deaf around here but i dont mind since i have a strong feeling that we will manage.

there was

I am with you on this. Is there a deaf organization that can do something about it? If the reason is the deaf might have accident, it imply that the hearing people never had a car accident. We know that hearing people do have car accidents.

we had the kenya national association of the deaf but since 2003 it became dormant and early this year it was closed. now the other deaf associations are weak and lack funding.
the one which are better are generally disabilityu associations.
it a pity in my country for the deaf since the deaf are very illiterate and thus they dont do much to improve their general welfare. this can be attributed to unaccommodating education systems.

am sure this wwont last long since there are high hopes that things will change.

anyway am grateful for all the support you people are showing

love you all:P

Sorry to hear about your situation but before we proceed, what is the current law on this?

here

Sorry to hear about your situation but before we proceed, what is the current law on this?

something like the testing officer has a right to deny a test anyone he/she feels has a disability or disease which might cause a danger to other roads users. i will try and get the original one once i get the full traffic act.

maybe its the law or wrong interpretation of the law.
what do you think?

Your profile says you're from Kenya. That's probably a different story since they probably don't follow equal rights as we do here in America.

Back