Hello

CC9920

Reaction score
Hi! I was wanting to make some friends and thought I'd give this place a try. I am a happily married mom of four and live in the Pittsburgh area of PA. I am not deaf however my second oldest is hearing impaired. I would like to make friends with other people who share the same interests as me.

I also had a question for you...and I'd really like honest answers. I really enjoying signing and learning about the Deaf community. I have always wanted to become a Deaf Education teacher but there are no school nearby to pursue my dream. However there is a school here that offers a Educational Interpreting Program and I thought about applying. My only hesitation is I am visually impaired and worry I may not be able to keep up with the fast pace of signing. Do you think its something I should persue regardless of my disabilty? With my disabilty I have to have things close to see and I have no center vision, so although I am looking at you it looks like I am looking to the right slighty. It takes a little getting use to but once people know me its no big deal. I only mentioned my disabilty because I know that eye contact is important.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

CC

Hi! I was wanting to make some friends and thought I'd give this place a try. I am a happily married mom of four and live in the Pittsburgh area of PA. I am not deaf however my second oldest is hearing impaired. I would like to make friends with other people who share the same interests as me.

I also had a question for you...and I'd really like honest answers. I really enjoying signing and learning about the Deaf community. I have always wanted to become a Deaf Education teacher but there are no school nearby to pursue my dream. However there is a school here that offers a Educational Interpreting Program and I thought about applying. My only hesitation is I am visually impaired and worry I may not be able to keep up with the fast pace of signing. Do you think its something I should persue regardless of my disabilty? With my disabilty I have to have things close to see and I have no center vision, so although I am looking at you it looks like I am looking to the right slighty. It takes a little getting use to but once people know me its no big deal. I only mentioned my disabilty because I know that eye contact is important.

CC

Hello CC9920! :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf What are some of your interests. More than likely that there are a few that share your interests.

I don't think your vision should be a deterrent to your achieving your dreams. If you want to be a deaf educator, this is a great place to start. Learn about the Deaf community and learn sign language! I've had a few friends in college (Gallaudet University) that had vision problems. They communicated just fine once we knew how to accommodate their vision needs. I even knew a couple blind Deaf persons that use tactile sign language.

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Oh Gosh, I have tons of interests! I love reading, cooking, bowling,and traveling. I'd like to start scrapbooking as soon as I can find some time. I have four little ones ages 12-2 so I stay pretty busy with them! How about you? How is Baltimore? Are you enjoying the warm weather like I am? We were just there for my hubby's cousin's wedding.

Welcome. I am legally blind with a syndrome that has taken the central vision, and I think it will be practically impossible for you to do interpreting. Sorry to say it, but it's going to move too fast for you to get it all if you see only from the periphery of your eyes.

Thanks for your honesty! I think I am still going to give it a try. If I can't I can't but at least I tried. I have taken ASL 1-3 and did well that so we'll see.

Thanks for your honesty! I think I am still going to give it a try. If I can't I can't but at least I tried. I have taken ASL 1-3 and did well that so we'll see.

I've always been HOH. I went to S. Korea as an exchange student and got involved with the Deaf over there. When I returned, I wanted to become an ASL interpreter. I got all the way through the 2 year AA program and could not complete the final class (actual interpreting work). I dropped out. I just did not have enough hearing anymore to do that job. I went on to Gallaudet and it turns out I was really good with computers. Who knew??? :) My point is, follow your heart. See how far it will take you. It just might lead to something you are really good at doing (even if it's not what you started out with). Who knows, you might even surprise yourself!

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Oh Gosh, I have tons of interests! I love reading, cooking, bowling,and traveling. I'd like to start scrapbooking as soon as I can find some time. I have four little ones ages 12-2 so I stay pretty busy with them! How about you? How is Baltimore? Are you enjoying the warm weather like I am? We were just there for my hubby's cousin's wedding.

My girlfriend and I LOVE to travel. I enjoy bowling (was on a league for a few years). and I really do not enjoy cooking, I just want to pull something off the shelf or out of the refrigerator and eat it. No preparation required! I have a really good friend that LOVES scrapbooking. She is such a bundle of energy, I don't know how she sits there scrapbooking... :dunno2:

The warm weather??? no, I'm not enjoying it. It's hot and humid.... did I mention hot??? just checking! :lol:

Hello welcome to Alldeaf :) enjoy fun posts anytime I can help you :D

however my second oldest is hearing impaired. I would like to make friends with other people who share the same interests as me.

I also had a question for you...and I'd really like honest answers. I really enjoying signing and learning about the Deaf community. I have always wanted to become a Deaf Education teacher but there are no school nearby to pursue my dream.
Is your second oldest in a Deaf Ed program? Just wondering.......I love it when hearing parents get really into the whole Deaf culture thing! :D

Hi deafdyke thanks for replying. No he isn't in any deaf ed programs at school. Well actually I take that back this coming up school year he will be fitted with an FM system so they will pull him out of class once a month to teach him about it and tips for becoming a self advocate. He was born with bilateral conductive hearing loss but the doctors don't know why. They said they could perform exploratory surgery to try and find the cause but it could cause more damage so I said no. He never had ear infections as a baby etc. He is on his 5th set of PT tube too. He doesn't know sign language except for what I teach him. He used to have speech isses as well but went through intensive speech therapy and now days you would never know he once couldn't talk. He is our little chatterbox! :) I'll have to post pictures as soon as I figure this site out!

Hi Cheetah! Where all have you traveled? I have grown up in a military family and eventually married into it so I have been to a few places. There are still many more places though I'd like to see. I've lived in England, Washington, grew up in Florida, was born and visited Japan, and now reside in PA. I like the warm weather over the cold but my favorite is the fall time. :) I like to cook but I don't know if I am any good at it. My family never likes eating the leftovers so maybe thats a sign! :) I grew up bowling...I was on a bowling league from 5 to 18 and then again for a year when we lived in WA. But now I just go when I can. I haven't attempted scrapbooking but I do want to try. I might end up like you and not have the patience for it. Right now my problem is finding the space and time to do it. I am sure as I get everything layed out my little tornado will be in to destroy it so I'll wait. What's another few more years right? I've been saying I am going to do it for a few years! :)

CC

Hello CC,
I am new to AllDeaf.com as well. I'm in Greenville,NC but I welcome friends from all over the world. I am hearing w/ early Meniere's and I have a 5 year old daughter who is hearing. my Grandfather was deaf in left ear from the age of 11 or 12. I also had some friends in school who were deaf. I'm trying to improve my ASL skills they are limited and a bit rusty. I'm considering going back to college to become and ASL Interpreter.

Well, TTYL, hopefully....
Candice :wave: :welcome:

Hi Candice,

Glad to hear from you! That is neat that you started the ASL Club at your HS. We never had one at mine but I bet if we had it would have been a popular one. I like you, have also decided to go back to school. I was debating to go for my Master's but I thnk I will give this AS in educational interpreting a try instead. Like you my ASL skills are a biit rusty, I don't have anyone to practice with! ;(
You mentioned you are considering going back to school....what did you major in the first time around? How do you like living in NC? I have only been to Ashboro. I thought it was nice though. I would like to check out Willmington, I read a lot of Nicholas Sparks books and he seems to always set the stories in NC. What is your daugher's name? Kids are great aren't they?! Mine make me tired and cause me gray hair but I love them to death! ;) Well I am glad you wrote and look forward to hearing from you again.

Hi Candice,

Glad to hear from you! That is neat that you started the ASL Club at your HS. We never had one at mine but I bet if we had it would have been a popular one. I like you, have also decided to go back to school. I was debating to go for my Master's but I thnk I will give this AS in educational interpreting a try instead. Like you my ASL skills are a biit rusty, I don't have anyone to practice with! ;(
You mentioned you are considering going back to school....what did you major in the first time around? How do you like living in NC? I have only been to Ashboro. I thought it was nice though. I would like to check out Willmington, I read a lot of Nicholas Sparks books and he seems to always set the stories in NC. What is your daugher's name? Kids are great aren't they?! Mine make me tired and cause me gray hair but I love them to death! ;) Well I am glad you wrote and look forward to hearing from you again.

Yeah it was nice I co-founded it with a hearing friend of mine b/c we had a deaf student start attending our school. I've had 3 deaf friends and have made some acquaintances. like this one time this past January 2011, I went to Raleigh with mom for her surgery(she's okay) and we had to stay the night before at a hotel. When we got up that morning I went down to get breakfast at the hotel "cafeteria" and as I was leaving a lady came in. I noticed she was trying to ask the attendant something and the attendant had no clue. So I stepped in and told the lady that I knew a little ASL. she was grateful and to be honest I mostly finger-spelled b/c it had been so long since I had used ASL. Anyways, I was able to help her get what she needed and wanted to eat and drink. After she was settled I went back to my hotel room and told my mom about it, and how it made me feel good to have been able to help someone out. That's one reason I'm considering going back to school. About what I studied before, well I originally was going to go for Business but I dropped out after my 1st semester. So I have no credits and will be starting from scratch. I'm gonna do my first 2 years at my local Community College and get my Associate of Art in Pre-Liberal Arts for University Transfer.

*Its kinda funny that u mentioned u wanna visit Wilmington b/c I actually grew up about 30 minutes south of Wilmington. In Southport, NC. In Brunswick County.

*nice to hear from you and :ty: for replying to me!!!! TYL

Hi Cheetah! Where all have you traveled? I have grown up in a military family and eventually married into it so I have been to a few places. There are still many more places though I'd like to see. I've lived in England, Washington, grew up in Florida, was born and visited Japan, and now reside in PA. I like the warm weather over the cold but my favorite is the fall time. :) I like to cook but I don't know if I am any good at it. My family never likes eating the leftovers so maybe thats a sign! :) I grew up bowling...I was on a bowling league from 5 to 18 and then again for a year when we lived in WA. But now I just go when I can. I haven't attempted scrapbooking but I do want to try. I might end up like you and not have the patience for it. Right now my problem is finding the space and time to do it. I am sure as I get everything layed out my little tornado will be in to destroy it so I'll wait. What's another few more years right? I've been saying I am going to do it for a few years! :)

Let's see... I've been to South Korea (Exchange student for a year), Japan, Hawaii (wait, I don't think that counts?), Canada, and Mexico. I am planning on going to Australia, England, and perhaps a tour of some EU countries. I doubt your left overs are really that bad. My Dad grew up in the great depression so he eats anything. He absolutely refuses to let food go to waste. He often put out left overs and that was that... no discussion.

I do not have any kids, so I will live vicariously through any stories you wish to share here (and I hope you do share). I grew up in Northern Michigan so I know what you mean about fall - absolutely awesome! Now I am in Maryland in the D.C. area.

I grew up HOH and was mainstreamed most of my life (I now have a CI). I (and many others here) do understand what your HOH son is going through. If you have any questions or he has any questions, let us know!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Wow, lots of interesting threads here. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Hi deafdyke thanks for replying. No he isn't in any deaf ed programs at school. Well actually I take that back this coming up school year he will be fitted with an FM system so they will pull him out of class once a month to teach him about it and tips for becoming a self advocate. He was born with bilateral conductive hearing loss but the doctors don't know why. They said they could perform exploratory surgery to try and find the cause but it could cause more damage so I said no. He never had ear infections as a baby etc. He is on his 5th set of PT tube too. He doesn't know sign language except for what I teach him. He used to have speech isses as well but went through intensive speech therapy and now days you would never know he once couldn't talk. He is our little chatterbox! :) I'll have to post pictures as soon as I figure this site out!

Oh......did you know that he is eligable for them? How old is he? He may need deaf ed when he's a little older. It's fairly common for hoh kids to do awesome in early grades and then start struggling. I know when I was a kid, I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing as schools and programs for dhh kids.....and believe it or not, hoh kids are accepted in Deaf Ed. Especially now, that a lot of deaf kids are now more functionally hoh (with CIs) You should check out Western PA School for the Deaf.....it is an AMAZING school.....maybe he could learn ASL or go to Deaf camps or whatever. Seriously, don't worry about whether or not he's "deaf enough" for Deaf stuff. I think you would be very surprised at what's out there. He might really enjoy going to a Deaf School or a regional dhh program (can be a really good placement for hoh kids, who may not need the intensity of a deaf school, but who also shouldn't experiance their education as a solotaire) He might not cotton to it....but who knows?

Hi deafdyke,

Thanks for all the information you gave. Andy, is about to be 11. He does fine in the school he is in now. If down the road he needs more services we'll cross that road when we get to it. He does really well with his hearing aides for now.:)

Just wanted to give you guys an update! I enrolled in the educational interpreting program I was telling y'all about. I start on the 7 Sept. 2011. I'm a little nervous but excited. I should know after the first week or two if it will be a struggle for me. But I am determined to succeed (hmmm that does not look like its spelled right) so here goes nothing! :)

Back