Hello,

angelt

Reaction score
good afternoon all, my name is Angel I live in maple ridge bc and worked very briefly at the deaf centre in wpg as a nurse on call.I have been drawn to learning asl.I am not deaf nor are any of my family members.When my little girl was born i decided to teach her asl,she is almost 2 now and has an asl vocab of about 40 words.We met a little boy and his mom at the park neither one of them spoke english but our babies both knew ASL! what a joy!!!!!I started reading books and took an asl course and am just starting to teach a baby signing class!!!I have no one to practice with so at night while regular people are sleeping im practiceing in the mirror..lol.I just thought id say hi and maybe make some more friends

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

im looking to make new friends,I love learning asl its like an art,glad to meet you

It is not art to us, Deafies and HOH. It is a language that we need very badly to understand with visually. Trying to understand hearing with or without lipreading is very hard on us so we need ASL to communicate and to understand ASL. Without ASL, we will be lost and very frustrated plus being sooo unhappy. A lot of hearing people don't want to write down for us to understand them. Not a good life to have without ASL. So it is not a art at all. Sorry if you think of ASL as a art. :(

Hello and it's nice to see a parent teaching their child ASL at an early age.

ASL itself is a language, and it's like learning any other language. ASL has it's own grammar and sentence structure. However, there are some ASL forms created to be art (poetry, storytelling, etc.).

Back