Hello.

Good answer, how do you teach it? Do you speak and read lips well? I do not speak at all in my ASL classes.

Well, to start the class, I use ASL and fingerspellings until 10 minutes before the closing time, then I use my voice to communicate with these students who have a countless questions to ask me. :)

Yes, I speak well and lipread well. Most of these students were shocked to hear my voice, because they thought I can't speak well since I cannot hear anything at all. One student asked me if I can hear a train going by inches away from me, and I said no. The class was like "WHOAH!"

:laugh2: Thank you for putting funny imagination into my mind of you saying "HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!" ;)

Originally posted by ChelEler
:bump: :mrgreen: Heh, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me... I may answer, may not answer. :dance:

LOL you took that quote from me. its cool. HMM - I dont know much about you......... lets see......... I think you said you taught an ASL class?? if I am wrong then tell me what do you think about the Deaf Culture.

Yeah, I am teaching Beginning ASL class at the college locally. :)

I think Deaf Culture is really cool and very comfortable for me to socialize in, since I am deaf and know what's going on. There are some disadvantages and advantages of being in the Deaf Culture, same with Hearing World. :)

Being an ASL instructor is so much fun!! Recently, I got an email from a student, and it says:

First of all, I want to tell you how much I am enjoying your Sign Language Class! You have a wonderful sense of humor and I am sure we will learn a lot from you.

Yes, I have other career interest, and it's an office mangement. I love to keep business in order and that's a tough job. That's what I'm working right now. :) (I have two jobs, one is ASL instructor, and the other one is service coordinator. :) )

HOW did you get the job? I am thinking about being an assistant since it would look nice for experience and I could practice my ASL more...some students had problems with their professors who dont talk at all. it made asking questions difficult....... cuz they are beginnners....

I simply went to the administrative team at the local college, and let them know that I'm available to teach simple ASL class for those who are interested in learning them from a deaf person. Also, I told them that I simply learned sign language when I was a frosh in HS, and have been using sign language ever since then. BAM! They hired me. :dunno: Actually, my class are just community interest class, and it doesn't have any credit because I don't have my degree in Education. Also, they are desperately in need to find a good instructor, so here I am. :)

My class is beginning too... almost no one knows any sign language, but yet, they understand what I'm trying to tell them to do. ;) I must have this special gift in sixth sense. Heh.

Originally posted by ChelEler
I simply went to the administrative team at the local college, and let them know that I'm available to teach simple ASL class for those who are interested in learning them from a deaf person. Also, I told them that I simply learned sign language when I was a frosh in HS, and have been using sign language ever since then. BAM! They hired me. :dunno: Actually, my class are just community interest class, and it doesn't have any credit because I don't have my degree in Education. Also, they are desperately in need to find a good instructor, so here I am. :)

My class is beginning too... almost no one knows any sign language, but yet, they understand what I'm trying to tell them to do. ;) I must have this special gift in sixth sense. Heh.

but does it require to get degree for teachin sign language or no? :)

I teach 3 ASL classes too, and I don't have a degree in it either.
I have tutored ppl in ASL for years, and I used that as my experience on résumé too. What do you think would be the hardest part of teaching ASL class? Curious to know what you think.

Originally posted by kuifje75
I teach 3 ASL classes too, and I don't have a degree in it either.
I have tutored ppl in ASL for years, and I used that as my experience on résumé too. What do you think would be the hardest part of teaching ASL class? Curious to know what you think.

comin up with which easy or hard to teach first and make homework for it that wud be complicated for me :eek: but it's interestin to know some teachers teach without a degree u know? :)

Well, as far as I know, there is no specific degree for "ASL instructor." The only way to have something is to be part of ASLTA certification, and in order to do that, you need to have at least 150 hours of teaching before you can apply for one. I already have a degree but not in Deaf studies or anything. I know a lot of other countries who hire Americans to teach English as Second Language even though they dont have degrees.

Edited to add more answer about the hardest part:
I think the hardest part is planning for the classes to suit the students' levels. I have two ASL I classes, one in morning for age 7 to 11 and one in afternoon for age 12 to 16. So, ofc the lessons are different for both classes, older one moves faster and the younger one moves slower. Also, I have to come up with songs and games to keep them motivated. Lots of work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as far as I know, there is no specific degree for "ASL instructor." The only way to have something is to be part of ASLTA certification, and in order to do that, you need to have at least 150 hours of teaching before you can apply for one. I already have a degree but not in Deaf studies or anything. I know a lot of other countries who hire Americans to teach English as Second Language even though they dont have degrees.

Edited to add more answer about the hardest part:
I think the hardest part is planning for the classes to suit the students' levels. I have two ASL I classes, one in morning for age 7 to 11 and one in afternoon for age 12 to 16. So, ofc the lessons are different for both classes, older one moves faster and the younger one moves slower. Also, I have to come up with songs and games to keep them motivated. Lots of work :)

wow that sure keep u busy? something to do that makes u proud of yourself right? ;)

Not really. I only teach one day a week for 3 ASL classes.

We're going off the thread here, he he he... Back to ChelEler!
ChelEler, what do you find the hardest about teaching ASL classes?

Prettybebe78, if u want, we can start a new thread on ASL instruction.

Not really. I only teach one day a week for 3 ASL classes.

We're going off the thread here, he he he... Back to ChelEler!
ChelEler, what do you find the hardest about teaching ASL classes?

Prettybebe78, if u want, we can start a new thread on ASL instruction.

Hey Kuifje75-

the new thread is in EDUCATION if u can find it :mrgreen:

Originally posted by prettybebe78
but does it require to get degree for teachin sign language or no? :)

Well, actually for a credit class, probably. But I only teach non-credit community interest class for the college. The administrative team did not say or ask if I have any degree in teaching ASL. Maybe you can do some research locally to find out.

Back