Hello To All

lindsay_f3

Reaction score
My name is lindsay and i am a hearing student. I am currently going to school for Deaf Education and cant wait to someday have my own classroom! I have been signing now for a while and like to think of myself as pretty proficient! Ive never been on one of these sites so how does it work what do i do if anyone can help me learn i would love it!!!
-lindsay

:wiggle:

Hi and :welcome: to AD! Glad to hear that you enjoy signing and good luck with your chosen career.

Just go to 'Sign Language and Oralism' forum and have a read thru' the posts to gain insights from other ADers. There are other interesting topics as well, so enjoy! :)

Good luck in your schooling, studies, and teaching. We need more dedicated teachers. A few find riches more valuable than money.

Hi and :welcome: to AD! I am a Deaf Ed teacher myself for 5 and half years. :)

Please don't be like the teacher in the movie of "Children of lesser God" wanting us Deafies to talk and lipread. Let us learn the education by sign language or ASL and not have to try to talk as we are not perfect. We can make it in the world better than hearing people. Just don't look down on us. Anyway, :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Please don't be like the teacher in the movie of "Children of lesser God" wanting us Deafies to talk and lipread. Let us learn the education by sign language or ASL and not have to try to talk as we are not perfect. We can make it in the world better than hearing people. Just don't look down on us. Anyway, :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

I am with you on that one. :)

Hello,
I agree with you opinion i find it sickening that ASL is not encourage in some schools and that it is the oral method winning out... its not right or fair....
-lindsay

Really? Where do you teach what grade? if you dont mind can i ask you a few questions... maybe more like 50 or a million?
-Lindsay!

Really? Where do you teach what grade? if you dont mind can i ask you a few questions... maybe more like 50 or a million?
-Lindsay!

Wellll every year, I have been moved from grade to grade depending on the number of students. My first year, I taught PreK kids with severe additional needs especially behavior disorders, 2nd year..taught 3rd graders with moderate to provode MR/austism, 3rd year...taught 1st graders with language delays, 4th year..taught 2nd graders with language delays, 5th year..taught 1st graders with language delays and this year 3rd graders who do not have additional needs nor language delays. It was a nice change this year to really see kids learn and just teach the material no more than 2 times while in the past, I taught the same thing over and over again in different ways. Ha! :)

Wellll every year, I have been moved from grade to grade depending on the number of students. My first year, I taught PreK kids with severe additional needs especially behavior disorders, 2nd year..taught 3rd graders with moderate to provode MR/austism, 3rd year...taught 1st graders with language delays, 4th year..taught 2nd graders with language delays, 5th year..taught 1st graders with language delays and this year 3rd graders who do not have additional needs nor language delays. It was a nice change this year to really see kids learn and just teach the material no more than 2 times while in the past, I taught the same thing over and over again in different ways. Ha! :)
I am going to be getting my masters in special ed i hope to do what you did move around but i can see how its hard to teach the same thing over and over again in different ways.... I am looking into doing 2nd grade bc the kids will already be able to read and i remember falling in love with books in the 2nd grade. I have always had a great vision of taking a chapter book and adapting a lesson plan in all subjects around that book science and math and social studies even in PE maybe and health...that way children can see language ( english that is the second language ) in many different aspects...

Good luck in your schooling, studies, and teaching. We need more dedicated teachers. A few find riches more valuable than money.
i think children are worth more then their weight in gold! and i cannot wait to watch their eyes grow wide when i show them all i can about the world!!!

I am going to be getting my masters in special ed i hope to do what you did move around but i can see how its hard to teach the same thing over and over again in different ways.... I am looking into doing 2nd grade bc the kids will already be able to read and i remember falling in love with books in the 2nd grade. I have always had a great vision of taking a chapter book and adapting a lesson plan in all subjects around that book science and math and social studies even in PE maybe and health...that way children can see language ( english that is the second language ) in many different aspects...

Good luck and that sounds like a great idea! I have brought that idea up at the reading action plan meetings. We may start that this fall. :)

Hope to see u in the other threads!

Back