Hello, New Here

Mary Gorton

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Mary. I'm 36 years old and I lost hearing in my left ear due to a partial tumor resection on my 8th cranial nerve. I lost my hearing, had facial paralysis, and balance issues. My face has gotten a lot better, but will never be the same. My balance is better, but it's not the same either. I was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis type 2. So I have another tumor on the other side that is stable and we are watching it for now. I know when we deal with it, I will be completely deaf at some point. I had a cochlear implant put in 3 1/2 weeks ago, and went in for activation last week. No luck. My auditory nerve is too damaged. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow and will discuss explantation. It's pretty bulky and it sits right under the arm of my glasses. If it's not functioning, I don't really want it there. I have a daughter who is 10, and I am a tennis professional. My tennis has suffered since surgery, but I'm not going to give up. I don't know how long I'll be competing, but plan on teaching, specifically to the hearing impaired. I just started ASL, but need a lot more education before I can be competent with it

Welcome to allDeaf Mary.
did you knwo king henryviii played tennis in what became the chapel in the house of commons?

Great your learning sign..

just a heads up
Deaf don't use the term hearing impaired and we shun it. Deaf for us isnt an impairment at all, so i knwo you didn't know this, all cool
trust me, the last thing you want to be doing while teaching tennis to Deaf in ASL is use that term..

all cool
and great your learning sign.

Greetings, Mary and best of luck. I dig tennis. I have not played since I as in my teens. Am 55 now, however, I do enjoy ping-pong!

HI ! I hope everything will go OK for you with the surgeon tomorrow . You dog is very cute ! :)

Last edited:
Back