hello..Introductions always make me feel cheesy.

PinkKiwi

Reaction score
Hi, Im Caroline , 25 and married. Living in a small town in upstate NY but planning on moving to KY soon. (wishing it was Danville, but cant get a job transfer there lol)

I have alot of social anxieties, so I tend to be a computer person and less face-to-face. and even then Im more of a reader than a poster. I've been teaching myself sign language, mostly through lifeprint. I thought I was doing well, and could carry on basic convos until I meet up with a local ASL group. I had gotten side-tracked from my learning for a week or 2 , panicked and my brain completely froze. I could barely introduce myself. I have prosopagnosia, or simply put face-blindness. Its a neurological disorder that makes it hard for me to tell people apart by their faces. I generally use other cues such as mannerisms, hair , stature ect. (side note - If anyone has suggestions on how to explain this in ASL Id appreciate it. right now I try to say: my brain doesn't work - people look the same.)

So why am I learning ASL? I've always been around the deaf, learned some really basic sign in grade school and been interested but lacked self-confidence to try to learn. Truthfully it started out more as a hobby. But then it stated to become more than that. I appreciate that the majority of deaf people take such efforts to communicate with the hearing world - but why should that be a one way street? Beyond that Im truly loving the language and culture. It might sound cliche, but I really wish I was brought up in deaf culture. I dont mean to be writing a novel here so Ill try to keep it short. I've always had the openness and hated that people were not that way (and that people thought I was strange for telling them to much) I love simple communication, using just a word or 2 to convey a simple thought. I was the one who always just said "look" and pointed. ( Don't meant to say that ASL is a simple language, rather that it allows for simplicity more than English with all its proper grammar.) hopefully this doesn't offend anyone =\ I tend to have poor social etiquette.

Anything else?

Back