Hello from Pittsburgh!

Pythias

Reaction score
Hello All! I'm a newbie to the site, and quite enjoying it.

I am a grad student studying the molecular biology of the innate immune system, and am (what feels like) forever away from completing my PhD. I like martial arts, cooking, playing the piano and guitar (badly), taking pictures, playing with my dogs, crocheting, gardening, brewing mead, watching television, riding my bike, and learning.

Deafness-wise:

I'm hard of hearing. I had scarlet fever when I was 3 and again at 5, and ear infections most of my childhood, so my hearing loss occurred sometime when I was really young, but after I learned to speak.

I was raised entirely orally, with an FM system/HA's, after my hearing status was determined a few years down the road. When I went to college I got some 1st gen digital HA's, but they didn't really work for me (mostly I think my ear molds didn't fit right, causing the sound to be transmitted improperly). I went a few years wearing them off and on until I finally (I'm bad about going to doctors) went back to an audiologist and got some nice new earmolds (they're blue!) that allow the HA's to function much better.

I enjoy the benefits of being HOH (like reading people's expressions and body language very well) and manage the disadvantages (like missing important info every now and again), but I'm in my 20's, so at this point it's really just part of what makes me a whole me. Everybody has things they are good at and things that are challenges for them.

I always wanted to learn ASL and interact with the Deaf Community, but from what I had read, I thought that proper Deaf people wouldn't like that I used "assistive technology," so I didn't pursue it. Now that I'm older, though, I decided that I didn't care and started classes at the local Deaf School, and everyone is so nice! I had no need to worry. There are even students and teachers who wear HA's and CI's. I'm loving it and have quickly shifted to using it quite a bit at home (with my hearing husband who is picking it up rather well). It's so relaxing and more visually interesting to communicate by sign!

Anyway, I'm babbling a bit now, but I just wanted to say, "Hi!" :wave:

I always wanted to learn ASL and interact with the Deaf Community, but from what I had read, I thought that proper Deaf people wouldn't like that I used "assistive technology," so I didn't pursue it.

That may have been the case (in some locations) 20 or 30 years ago, but it's certainly not the case today (or for the last 15 or more years).

Most of the Hoh/Deaf people I know who are involved int eh Deaf community (and well respected within the community) use various ALDs, HAs etc.

The most important thing is that you are open and willing to learn about the unique values of the Deaf Community - and that you don't have any type of "Hoh are better than deaf", or "It's important to be able to speak" etc type Hearing Views.

Within the Deaf Community there's a wide range of amounts of Hearing loss and deafness, there's a wide range of "back stories" (some grew up oral then learned ASL, some are Deaf of Deaf, etc). As long as you are open, honest and willing to learn, you'll do just fine :)

FWIW - I thought similar things growing up. I was raised oral only, despite wanting to learn ASL (and trying to learn it on my own secretly). Once I signed up for some ASL classes at my Deaf Centre, I discovered that I was JUST as welcome being Hoh (capital "H") and if I was bilaterally +100db deaf.

ASL was one of, if not the BEST thing that I did for MYSELF!

hi Pythias, welcome to AD!

And i thought i was the only pittsburgher in here! :D

Hi JDHammer! Thanks for the welcome- always nice to run into another Pittsburgher! :)

Seconded....that's the worst myth ever, that Deaf culture is only for voice off Deafies! Deaf culture is for EVERYONE whether they're voice off or use hearing aids or whatever.

Most of us have been excluded by others, so we don't want to exclude each other. Welcome to AllDeaf!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Isabella8688 said:
Hello Anij! Thank you for your response!

hello, i am new here, i am very happy come here , nice to meet you .

Just so you know, we don't allow illegal adverts (like yours regarding illegally watching an in-theatre moving online)

Please remove this from your sign line, or members will report you to the mods for breah of "terms of use"

Hi Pythias! Welcome to the site. I am new here also. I've been browsing the site for a few weeks, but recently just started posting. I am hearing, but have family who is HOH and I absolutely love ASL and the Deaf community. I hope everything works out for you in learning ASL. Sounds like you're doing great! Keep it up, and keep using it so you don't forget it! =)

Back