Hello from Asheville

EvilleApplePie

Reaction score
I'm a 31 year old hearing woman. When I was in middle school my best friend was a deaf boy whose parents were trying to mainstream him. His interpreter taught us all signed english so that we could communicate with him better and he was thinking of getting an implant. Awhile later in high school he decided he did not want the implant and decided to go back to deaf school. I was happy for him but we soon lost touch after I moved far away. This was before the ease of video chat. Over the years I've thought of him often and the window I had into the Deaf community through him and as an adult suffering with increasing and serious hearing loss I've started learning ASL. I don't wish to have to wear hearing aids or have implants as my career does not require me to be able to hear and my ears don't like things to be inside of them. I would, however, love to make some d/Deaf friends and learn more about the culture. The more I read about it the more I love it and want to be part of it as much as possible.

Welcome aboard!....NC Native myself, and Asheville is really beautiful in the fall months.

My parents grew up in Lenoir, and met at Hibriten HS, I was born in Hendersonville!

My parents grew up in Lenoir, and met at Hibriten HS, I was born in Hendersonville!

EWWWWW the Panthers!!!! I went to West Caldwell lol but actually "graduated"at Hibriten. Had to go to summer school at Hibriten because I lacked 1 credit so we had the graduation ceremony at Hibriten. So I guess I graduated at Hibriten from West??? And the black and blue game was last week I think it was Hibriten won :( how old are your parents? I probably ran across some of them at some point.

Welcome aboard!....NC Native myself, and Asheville is really beautiful in the fall months.

Really? Lived in Asheville for a few years before moving to New Mexico. I agree. Fall months are really nice in the mountains which was my office. LOL.

I was born here but was a military brat and lived all over before finally getting to come back home only to leave again for awhile and then return again. I always come back to the mountains, I love all of the seasons here. But you are right, the fall is amazing!

I was born here but was a military brat and lived all over before finally getting to come back home only to leave again for awhile and then return again. I always come back to the mountains, I love all of the seasons here. But you are right, the fall is amazing!

Went to school in MOrganton...my home town was Wilmington and the Beaches....now living in Florida since '74....I do go back to the Carolinas (both S. and N.) to visit family/friends several times a year tho'.

Hiya, Robin!!!! Thot you fell in the canal.....:lol:

:giggle:....'twas a wonder I wasn't in jail for driving without a license....:giggle:...good to be back tho'...hard to find the time to post as much...of course, age creeps upon ya...you wake up from a Nap...and wonder...where did all the time go?....whaaaa?....

They are 43 and 40

I'm 41 I've probably ran across them at some point. Maybe at a game or in town or something. And some of my cousins went to Hibriten too. Small world isn't it?

Went to school in MOrganton...my home town was Wilmington and the Beaches....now living in Florida since '74....I do go back to the Carolinas (both S. and N.) to visit family/friends several times a year tho'.

Ah I love the beaches of this state, surprisingly enough I've never actually been to the Wilmington area but I would love to go check it out. My sister used to hang around down there with her friends all the time and loved it.

Ah I love the beaches of this state, surprisingly enough I've never actually been to the Wilmington area but I would love to go check it out. My sister used to hang around down there with her friends all the time and loved it.

Feel you would fall in love with Wilmington...only 15 miles from the Beaches and Fort Fisher....and some of the "cleanest" beaches ever!....close to the Navy and Marine base in Jacksonville, N.C. too....

Back