Hello from Arkansas!

sheen_ah

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! :wave: (I like these smilies)

This is my first day on the forum, and I'm looking forward to meeting new people. I'm currently taking American Sign Language, and find it amazing and interesting! I'm actually starting to incorporate ASL into my daily conversations. This is my first semester in ASL, and I plan on spending two more semesters learning more of this language :)

Now, on to my biography...

My name is Sheena Vang. I'm twenty-two years old, currently attending UALR in Little Rock, Arkansas. I'm a junior in college. I live with my family. I have three brothers and two sisters. I have fish. I like to read and write. I do things alone sometimes...or maybe all the time :hmm:

Okay, short and simple, right?

I was wondering...

Would anyone like to Skype sometime? As a student studying ASL, I would like to get to know those in the deaf community to chat and interact with. I always fantasized (hopefully you don't find this word creepy) about getting to know those in the deaf community. ASL is such a beautiful language; it actually enhances more of a person's meaning! I want to be able to meet new people and make new friends. I'm still new to ASL, so maybe as I get to know some of you guys, I can gradually improve in my signing and deaf culture knowledge :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Yes, it is a beautiful language but we look at the way we want to communicate so that we can understand. Without ASL, we definitely get lost not understanding by lipreading (not very accurate as we can not hear the sounds from the person's mouth). This is suppose to be our first language instead of 2nd language. But hearing people especially in the mainstream schools want us to be oral, not ASL. They are wrong to do that. They don't get it. That is why we had to fight for our rights to use ASL so that we can understand much better than lipreading, especially in public places (of course, we need ASL interpreters).

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: Welcome to the All Deaf Forum! I hope you do take the next few ASL courses and become proficient in ASL provided you are able to interact with deaf people.

I agree

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Yes, it is a beautiful language but we look at the way we want to communicate so that we can understand. Without ASL, we definitely get lost not understanding by lipreading (not very accurate as we can not hear the sounds from the person's mouth). This is suppose to be our first language instead of 2nd language. But hearing people especially in the mainstream schools want us to be oral, not ASL. They are wrong to do that. They don't get it. That is why we had to fight for our rights to use ASL so that we can understand much better than lipreading, especially in public places (of course, we need ASL interpreters).

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Yes, I agree with you. It isn't right for others to force you to lipread for their own benefit. Not everything in the world should conform to a higher populated language. Learning ASL has given me a better understanding of the deaf community, which is communication among each other and to those who hear. Never in my life would I ever want to offend someone, so learning ASL teaches me how to effectively communicate with a deaf person just like learning Spanish and using that language with a Spanish speaking person.

I do hope to learn more from AllDeaf. Maybe reading from personal stories will help me understand as well :)

:welcome: Welcome to the All Deaf Forum! I hope you do take the next few ASL courses and become proficient in ASL provided you are able to interact with deaf people.

Yes, I hope to become proficient in ASL so I could interact with deaf people in my community. There are a few events held by the death community, and I hope to attend some of those event and effectively use ASL to communicate with others in a friendly, casual way :)

I remember going to Arkansas every Spring Break in mid 1980s. I was 3 hours from Little Rock and I don't remember meeting anyone deaf out there.

I remember going to Arkansas every Spring Break in mid 1980s. I was 3 hours from Little Rock and I don't remember meeting anyone deaf out there.

I personally didn't know anyone deaf here in Little Rock until I started the ASL program. One of the mentors who's in charge of the ASL lab is deaf and is very sweet and kind.

I became deaf a year ago. Nobody knows why I had hearing troubles all my life. I don't know sign language and I don't know deaf people. I like to have deaf friends.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Hi, everyone! :wave: (I like these smilies)

I have three brothers and two sisters.

Nice that! :shock:
I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers (me and my brother)
Bravo girl! You have big family! Forever you got help from your family!:cool:

Nice that! :shock:
I have 3 sisters and 2 brothers (me and my brother)
Bravo girl! You have big family! Forever you got help from your family!:cool:
They're quite a handful, but I admit that things are a little easier with them around :P

Back