Hello AD

lampshaded

Reaction score
Found this site by accident, decided to sign up. I need a place where I can feel like I belong, here might be a good start.

To begin, I'm hard of hearing. I lost my hearing when I was four, the cause was unknown. No one in my family is deaf, I have one older brother and we didn't go to the same school. My deaf school was too far from home, but it had a dormitory so I had friends and could relate to people like myself. It was like having a second family. I could still go home on weekends and holidays. No one in my family knows how to sign, I speak orally with them. It was awkward with my peers at home, who I could not relate as good as with my deaf and hard of hearing peers. A lot of times I was viewed negatively and felt left out on some things, but it was not all bad. It was just better at the deaf school. That school died last year, a few years after I graduated. I missed the reunion for it.

I may be able to hear with hearing aids, but I have this condition where listening to people talk is like hearing gibberish. I don't have this problem with my family or with some people if I'm lucky. It's this condition that is why it had been awkward with my peers from home, a lot of the time I had no idea what they say. Like deaf people, I need subtitles to enjoy television and video gaming. I can't enjoy much music because I can't follow the lyrics with it, I can only enjoy some that doesn't have them.

Yeah, that's it for now. :)

Welcome! BTW, what is your avatar? I'm so uncool having to ask that. lol

Found this site by accident, decided to sign up. I need a place where I can feel like I belong, here might be a good start.

To begin, I'm hard of hearing. I lost my hearing when I was four, the cause was unknown. No one in my family is deaf, I have one older brother and we didn't go to the same school. My deaf school was too far from home, but it had a dormitory so I had friends and could relate to people like myself. It was like having a second family. I could still go home on weekends and holidays. No one in my family knows how to sign, I speak orally with them. It was awkward with my peers at home, who I could not relate as good as with my deaf and hard of hearing peers. A lot of times I was viewed negatively and felt left out on some things, but it was not all bad. It was just better at the deaf school. That school died last year, a few years after I graduated. I missed the reunion for it.

I may be able to hear with hearing aids, but I have this condition where listening to people talk is like hearing gibberish. I don't have this problem with my family or with some people if I'm lucky. It's this condition that is why it had been awkward with my peers from home, a lot of the time I had no idea what they say. Like deaf people, I need subtitles to enjoy television and video gaming. I can't enjoy much music because I can't follow the lyrics with it, I can only enjoy some that doesn't have them.

Welcome! What school was it? the Newfoundland/Labrador one? You're lucky to have gone to a deaf school!!! It's also kind of unusual that a postlingal kid would have gone to a deaf school , especially in this day and age.....

Hello and welcome! I'm new here myself and am hearing, but I also "hear gibberish" (APD).

You are not alone. Both hh/Hard of Hearing and d/Deaf people were going through the same thing like you had gone through under the watchful eyes of the hearing society. Hearing people don't understand us on how we suffered under them. You were so lucky to be in the Deaf school while we are not allowed to go into the Deaf school. We got sucked staying in the mainstream school and we hated it. Maybe some don't.

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

What happened? The OP posted an intro and then appears to have wandered away.

I think we were subjected to a drive by posting... :(

I think we were subjected to a drive by posting... :(

I like that turn of words :)

I'm guilty of having done the same drive by posting when I first registered here in 2007. I made one post asking if there was anyone from my hometown then I didn't return for a few years.

Sorry for being inactive. :P Thanks all for the welcome. :)

Welcome! BTW, what is your avatar? I'm so uncool having to ask that. lol
Broken Biggoron's Sword. It is from one of the video games I've played, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Welcome! What school was it? the Newfoundland/Labrador one? You're lucky to have gone to a deaf school!!! It's also kind of unusual that a postlingal kid would have gone to a deaf school , especially in this day and age.....
Yes, it was the Newfoundland one. Yeah, Deaf school is no more around here, my heart goes out to the Deaf kids.

Hello and welcome! I'm new here myself and am hearing, but I also "hear gibberish" (APD).
Ah, I never knew what the condition is called and that bothered me for some time. Now I can put that to rest. I wasn't sure if some hearing people acquired it but now I know. :) Thanks goodness for sign language.

You are not alone. Both hh/Hard of Hearing and d/Deaf people were going through the same thing like you had gone through under the watchful eyes of the hearing society. Hearing people don't understand us on how we suffered under them. You were so lucky to be in the Deaf school while we are not allowed to go into the Deaf school. We got sucked staying in the mainstream school and we hated it. Maybe some don't.

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:
That sucks. People from the high school level in my school had to go to a mainstream one in the last few years before my school died. Well, my school didn't really die but the Deafness part of it did. It transformed into a mainstream one, the hearing students were only there because their school suffered a mold problem but their stay became a permanent thing.

Hello there lampshaded,

Hope you find everything you need here on AD!

I know AD has been a great resource for me personally, in the very short time I've been here.

Back