Heather Whitestone

Emerica

Reaction score
Do you feel betrayed by Heather Whitestone became the first deaf woman to be crowned Miss America?

What do you think of Heather Whitestone's success story of her life? I mean she got front-page coverage- and plenty of it. And she's famous. What do you think?

Betrayed...hmm...? She did what she could with her skills and looks, I would say. But she achieved her dreams. Nothing wrong with that.

I dont' see how she has betrayed anyone with what?

No, I do not feel betrayed by Heather Whitestone at all....All she did was follow her dreams of becoming the first deaf woman to be crowned as Miss America....I'm glad she won because it show that Deaf people can do almost anything like hearing people can.... :smash:

You have a lot of questions about her. I wonder what your feelings are about her. My response, I don't feel betrayed. She did whatever she wanted to do. She did not harm anyone. I don't understand...........

No, I do not feel betrayed at all..

I see her as bright beautiful intellegent woman and Im proud of her!

I'm sorry I m not clear with my question... I was saying that some of the members of the Deaf community feel betrayed by Heather because she's not using ASL or involve with Deaf community... for example Heather is deaf and successful as oral-deaf. Deaf people concerning and even feel threatened to Deaf community, cochlea implant for instance. Also in Deaf Studies class, I notice the teacher talked about famous people such as Jordan King, Kenny Walker, Olaf Hasson, Marlee matlin, lou fernando, or whatever. Then teacher never mention about Heather Whitestone. I was planning to raise my hands and the teacher ignore me because I was support heather whitestones. Any question?

Last edited:
TiaraPrincess said:
You have a lot of questions about her. I wonder what your feelings are about her. My response, I don't feel betrayed. She did whatever she wanted to do. She did not harm anyone. I don't understand...........

I feel great about her...

Yes I have a lot of questions, smile. When I heard that she won the Miss America, I was impressed and I m oral deaf dude. Later, I noticed deaf people gave me nasty attitude about Heather's successful. I felt left out so I m writing about to encourage deaf people to understand how she become successful throu oral deaf. I m glad she can survive the criticism.

Emerica, i think i understand about what
did you mean by "betraying" even
though i find Heather a beautiful and
intelligent deaf woman who deserve
respect according to her wishes.

Hmm, That is something I haven't
even thought about this till you just
brought this up making some sense
as though as if she was taking advantage
of the word "Deaf" even though
she hadn't been in the Deaf community
that much. I think that she certainly
does have the right to label herself
as Deaf WITHOUT having to be in the
Deaf Community. This seem to be
something like "Un-written Rules"
in the Deaf Communities as though
as if you MUST be within the
Deaf Communities in order to be
considered accepted as a Deaf person
in the public sense. Since I'm a profound deaf
with some deaf family members myself,
I believe that Deaf Communities
absolutely have NO right tell us what
to do and what is accepted or not.

Heather seem to know exactly what
she want with her own life without
allowing anyone (including any deaf communities)
controlling her. That's one of the
reasons why she's so successful
without putting up with their
ugly crab theory.

Geez, there are so many deaf famous people
that I'm NOT too fond of... I was NOT that impressed
with them. I need more time to think about
who else (besides Heather) that I'm impressed
with...

Glad to hear that you are not the only one
supporting her.

Last edited:
Y said:
Emerica, i think i understand about what
did you mean by "betraying" even
though i find Heather a beautiful and
intelligent deaf woman who deserve
respect according to her wishes.

Glad to hear that you are not the only one
supporting her.

Oh good, I did well explanation... yeah, i realized other respond didnt seem right.

I do not feel betrayed. I am an oral person myself, I know ASL But, I have my voice to communicate with hearing people and ASL to communicate with the deaf.. There is nothing wrong with what she did when she was growing up to a fine young woman...I respect other deaf individuals and will never tell them they have to be like me. So respect each other and not sabotage each other... You complaining about her raising as an Oral person what about young deaf getting a CI (Same thing). Every Parent raise their children the way they want them to be raised and we are not the one should be judging them. :)

Emerica said:
Oh good, I did well explanation... yeah, i realized other respond didnt seem right.

what did u mean about which exact respond
that did NOT seem right ? example ?

Cheri said:
You complaining about her raising as an Oral person what about young deaf getting a CI (Same thing). Every Parent raise their children the way they want them to be raised and we are not the one should be judging them. :)

Cheri, i think Emerica was NOT complaining about
oralism/CI issues.. but he was trying to
figure out about why was Heather being NOT
fully accepted by Deaf Community
only because of what happened to
his deaf teacher's response/behavior
at his recent class.
Thats one of the reasons why
he asked about our perspectives
of Heather.

Y said:
I think that she certainly
does have the right to label herself
as Deaf WITHOUT having to be in the
Deaf Community. This seem to be
something like "Un-written Rules"
in the Deaf Communities as though
as if you MUST be within the
Deaf Communities in order to be
considered accepted as a Deaf person
in the public sense. Since I'm a profound deaf
with some deaf family members myself,
I believe that Deaf Communities
absolutely have NO right tell us what
to do and what is accepted or not.

Heather seem to know exactly what
she want with her own life without
allowing anyone (including any deaf communities)
controlling her. That's one of the
reasons why she's so successful
without putting up with their
ugly crab theory.

I am an oral deaf person, and I think Heather's a neat person! :) I don't feel betrayed by her at all....she's successful and shown the world that the deaf can succeed in a hearing world...I am proud of her....I agree with Y's post that the deaf communities cannot tell us what to do or what is accepted or not and the other explanations.

Well that's too bad of your teacher. I think you should voice your opinion and stand strong. It's not only for yourself, but for everyone to be fully educated that deaf people are not only those in the Deaf Community. That's a bad example of your teacher. I was used as an example of someone having the CI in high school, so people knew about it. There was an oral deaf young woman who also signed and spoke in the class about herself. She also won a beauty pageant for deaf people. I believe Heather interact with other deaf people or Deaf. I believe that the Deaf Community shun her because of her difference. That sounds prejudism to me. I believe Heather tries/tried to mend, but some of the people in the Deaf Community just does not wish to accept her as she is.

In another way, I feel that some Deaf people do not even try to be who they are. If you are closing your options (I am not talking about CI) to anything in the world, then you are not being any better by staying Deaf. Heather went out to show that she could be Miss America like anyone. If Deaf people feel betrayed, why don't they join on and try to show who they are to the world? You have to try somewhere just like Marlee Matlin. No one is going to do it for you.

I think you should talk to the teacher and tell her your opinion. If she ignores you, speak up anyway. If you ever have a chance to write a paper, then write about her. Or you could speak up and say, "why don't you speak about Heather Whitestone?"

Last edited:
Why would I feel betrayed by this Miss America? She did all the things she wanted to do to accomplish her own goals and that is what should count. Why should she take upon herself to represent a small minority? After all, she is only an individual. I do not care if she is oral or not, she is her own unique self. If deaf people do not like it, then they should take it upon themselves to do something about it instead of complaining or whining about this Miss America.

kuifje75, I like your attitude! No hint of hate, no hint of self-pity because of someone else's choice. boo hoo!! HW has a CI, is oral and is ashamed of her deafness sobs sobs....pbfft!!

TiaraPrincess said:
Well that's too bad of your teacher. I think you should voice your opinion and stand strong. It's not only for yourself, but for everyone to be fully educated that deaf people are not only those in the Deaf Community. That's a bad example of your teacher. I was used as an example of someone having the CI in high school, so people knew about it. There was an oral deaf young woman who also signed and spoke in the class about herself. She also won a beauty pageant for deaf people. I believe Heather interact with other deaf people or Deaf. I believe that the Deaf Community shun her because of her difference. That sounds prejudism to me. I believe Heather tries/tried to mend, but some of the people in the Deaf Community just does not wish to accept her as she is.

In another way, I feel that some Deaf people do not even try to be who they are. If you are closing your options (I am not talking about CI) to anything in the world, then you are not being any better by staying Deaf. Heather went out to show that she could be Miss America like anyone. If Deaf people feel betrayed, why don't they join on and try to show who they are to the world? You have to try somewhere just like Marlee Matlin. No one is going to do it for you.

I think you should talk to the teacher and tell her your opinion. If she ignores you, speak up anyway. If you ever have a chance to write a paper, then write about her. Or you could speak up and say, "why don't you speak about Heather Whitestone?"

Thanks for you help... I wish I can speak with you in person. None of people are interesting on Heather Whitestone... pity me eh. anywhoo, I see your respond is well information very good arguement that i ever seen. Oh I'm writing Essay on Heather Whitestone smile... I'm sure the teacher will not read the paper and then put down A plus with no comment... You know the book called "Journey into the Deaf World," I notice one line about Heather Whitestone, that's all...

Y said:
what did u mean about which exact respond
that did NOT seem right ? example ?

I'm sorry for being incoherent with you... when I started my thread, i knew I wasnt feel right to write this question... then read other responds so I want to make it clear with this thread...

I totally understand and respect your most of your responds and I think that I ve been awkward to respond back to you... no hard feeling?

Back