Heat Wave of 2010

I'd hate to be on the receiving end of the humongous storms to tail this heat wave.

Bring the storms on!! We need the rain!!!

I am curious, what is the temp in your area? Here is 93 degree and humidity level is 11 percent. I am used to it now for a week. I do not consider this as heatwave unless it hits 105 or higher.

I am curious, what is the temp in your area? Here is 93 degree and humidity level is 11 percent. I am used to it now for a week. I do not consider this as heatwave unless it hits 105 or higher.

Here in WPB, FL it is 83 with a 75% humidity.

Did u check out CNN?

It was 105 with 20 % humidity yesterday here in B-more. I heard that Philly and the Big Apple were worse.

Did u check out CNN?

It was 105 with 20 % humidity yesterday here in B-more. I heard that Philly and the Big Apple were worse.
I watched on news this afternoon and it is strange because we usually get hotter here than east but now it is alike cooler here than normal and hotter back there. We have not got hit by heatwave this summer yet so we see what will happen this year. I feel bad for those guys and hopefully no one will die from overheat.

Here in WPB, FL it is 83 with a 75% humidity.

Here in mid-Missouri it is 73 and the humidity is pretty close to 100% since it is raining cats and dogs, lol. I feel for those caught in the heat wave, though, since I know what it is like.

I watched on news this afternoon and it is strange because we usually get hotter here than east but now it is alike cooler here than normal and hotter back there. We have not got hit by heatwave this summer yet so we see what will happen this year. I feel bad for those guys and hopefully no one will die from overheat.

2 have died...one woman from Philly and another in Baltimore. That's the recent info..there could be more. It is dangerous out there now because there are many power outages and people with no A/C. In CA and AZ, almost everyone has A/C due to the high heat being normal over there.

Is 75 % humidity too much if temp is over 80? I am so used to dry weather if temp is over 100, not bother me.

It is very moist and sticky. Spend anymore than 3 minutes outside and you're clothes are drenched and your hair (if you have it) is plastered to your head.

Here in mid-Missouri it is 73 and the humidity is pretty close to 100% since it is raining cats and dogs, lol. I feel for those caught in the heat wave, though, since I know what it is like.

Gee, I used to live just outside of Columbia, MO, then moved to just outside St. Louis. Columbia was hotter in the summer, but St. Louis was worse in the winter. The summer we got our deck built in Columbia, it got up top 110 with a heat index of 125 and humidity of 20%.

Florida is a different kind of heat.

Gee, I used to live just outside of Columbia, MO, then moved to just outside St. Louis. Columbia was hotter in the summer, but St. Louis was worse in the winter. The summer we got our deck built in Columbia, it got up top 110 with a heat index of 125 and humidity of 20%.

Florida is a different kind of heat.

Cool. I used to live at Pompano Beach in Florida and could always count on the famous breeze to cool things down. :)

It was raining cat and dogs for around a hour early morning and then became real humid for the day. I was sweating a lot.
Currently 78 degrees with 73 percent humidity with heat index of 82 degrees with t-storms coming in our way pretty soon.

I remember about my Canadian friend lives in Toronto and his apartment doesn't have central AC nor is window unit AC. It will be very miserable until heatwave over.

You are describing the apartment I live in right now. I am in Toronto too. It was 46 here today...and I work outside.

it was 30 something today with 67% humidity making it feel like 40 something which is b/w 100-116 farenheit...44 degrees celcius is 111 farenheit 116 is 46 celcius etc...it's spose to be worse tomorrow...ugh..and someone yesterday left their kids in the car with the windows rolled up..someone called police on her..ppl are stupid

(USA) West coast has a different reaction.

While you guys are complaining about heat, it's actually been pretty mild and chilly here the past week. Highest were probably mid 80-85 F (26-29C) but these past 2 days, the average temp has been like mid 70's F ~23C ish.

Which is weird, since it's supposedly summer and typically that means 90-100F's on the west coast.

Jazzy, not sure where you're at but for me near LB area, past few weeks the daytime was in the higher 80's for awhile. Definitely not the same as this week.

It was 100 here yesterday, I work outside and was outside for over 8 hrs. It was BRUTAL. I'm suprised my hearing aid didn't short out from all the sweat. Today was hot too, 95+. I'm still wiped out from this. Oh, and yes, it is indeed hot enough for me!!! (I got asked that ALL day, and since my HA kept working, I had to hear it).

We do need rain badly here.

Yes, humidity is making the weather hotter than hell and not enough rain. We are having heat wave, too, on the island. I hope it will cool off next week unless the weather is bringing more heat again. I have two fans in my house. My husband tried to cool off outside on our porch with the wind, but humidity is making him worse than the dry weather. We dreaded with this humidity weather. :(

I live in a house built in the 60's and we have no central A/C. We are in South Florida and it does get hot. Even with the coastal breezes, it's hot. Luckily, the house is built in a way, that a window unit A/C can cool most of the house down.

My Great Aunt lived in a house her whole life that was built by her father. It still stands in Elfers, Florida. There was no A/C period.

However, she was one heck of a gardener. Her father had the foresight to build this house underneath gigantic oak trees. She spent most of her childhood planting a tropical garden like you would never believe. Driving down her dirt driveway and going to her house was a lot like entering a tropical garden "bat cave".

It was always completely shaded and cool - even on the hottest blistering Florida summer days.

http://www.fivay.org/elfers.html

In Tales of West Pasco, Ralph Bellwood lists some of the early residents of Elfers:

The Baillies, Old Man Bill and Uncle John, as they were affectionately called; Capt. Jack Brown and his wife, whom the writer shall always hold in affection and remember as "Grandma"; Grandma’s two brothers, Mode and Ellis Sheffield; Grandpa and Grandma Hay, parents of Mrs. J. M. Mitchell, whose husband, the late Senator Jesse Mitchell will come in for comment later. Also the large Sawyer family, of which a book could be written; the Butlers and Pittmans, John and bill, the Andersons, the Eikels, the Swartsels, the Bakers, the Stevensons, and the Hendersons. Other families that figured in the development of this entire area were P. L. Pierce and Professor J. H. St. Clair, both connected with our school system.

My Great Aunt's name was Sarah Butler. Her husband was killed in WWII - she never remarried and never had kids. Her brother's son was an absolute bad@ss - special forces all the way. Like a lot of my family. He became "Sheriff".

We have 87 right now with 30% humidity... forecast for weekend is 95 with 40% humidity

Heat wave in my area is four straight days today. :roll: I can't wait to get cooler tomorrow.

Back