Hearing vs Deaf

linicx

Reaction score
I am a late deaf senior who is also L V (Low vision). I am surrounded by thoughtless people who don't understand, who don't want to understand, and those who refuse to understand. But they all mean well. They believe it also gives them license to steal, lie, cheat, and not do the job they are paid to do. These people require more attention in five hours than the average two-year old does all day. More irritating is I cannot cook for myself. Yes I can manage scrambled eggs and cold cereal, but I cannot see to prepare a meal.

I very much like this forum for I can learn. I don't understand the anger between the born deaf and those who are not 100% dear. I did not expect to die alone in a silent and dark body, but I will and I have accepted it, for that which was given at birth will be taken away. We, as a community, desperately need to leave the angst behind and support each other.

My doctor told me the AMA considers anyone who wears aids as "hearing". And I said, "It's too bad those aids can't help me hear sounds I never heard." Yeah I can wear aids and hear birds, but I can't hear you on the phone without some type of amplification device.

Well stick around, and one day you may get our anger,
its not just born Deaf,
For what its worth.
welcome

I believe when you die you enter another life again. And then you may hear. I cant discuss religion its against the rules here.

Hard Of Hearing (HOH) and Deaf people are different between us. It is because HOH like to speak only Oral-only method while Deaf would rather use ASL without voice to communicate. Some of HOH like to sign ASL while some other HOH don't want to sign but rather speak orally. Both HOH and Deaf people have different degrees of hearing loss. Mild to moderate hearing loss probably can pick up what the person said on the telephone while some HOH can not pick the sound up from the phone lines. As for the severely to profound hearing loss, that would be impossible to hear on the phone as they can not pick the sounds up.

The doctor and the AMA are wrong as they don't know what losing hearing loss is like. They don't have the experience of losing their hearing or have the experience of being deaf. Pretty much most hearing people are rude and audists because they think that with hearing devices like hearing aids, even CI for the d/Deaf were expected to hear clearly which is not true at all. Hearing devices does not work like that. Everyone is different when they hear something. I hope that help you understand why we are what we do as HOH and Deaf.

For me, I would rather be in the Deaf Community than being in the hearing society.

Everyone who lose their hearing can make decision what methods they want to choose to communicate. I hope this help you understand this.

We, as a community, desperately need to leave the angst behind and support each other.

My doctor told me the AMA considers anyone who wears aids as "hearing". And I said, "It's too bad those aids can't help me hear sounds I never heard." Yeah I can wear aids and hear birds, but I can't hear you on the phone without some type of amplification device.

The bolded would really be part of the problem. We have gone our whole lives making our own way with nobody particularly supportive of any problems we may have. We have learned to be tough and make lives.

Then the late deafened very often come in expecting a great deal of help and sympathy.

I think a lot of us think it is important for them to just toughen up.

As for hearing the birds and using the phone with amplification, that really makes you hoh not deaf.

I think a lot of us think it is important for them to just toughen up. Quoted by Bottesini

I want to add that we are very blunt telling hearing people, even late deafened on our experience of going through being struggled all of our lives in mainstream schools and workplaces. Hearing people or late deafened thought that blunt d/Deaf people are rude. You have to have tough skins to handle what Deaf people say to you. This is for you to understand where we came from all those years.

Yes, we will always get angry which make us stand up for our Deaf rights, even Hard Of Hearing rights. Some of us may work trying to get along and support each other but there are times that there is no support between us. That is the way it always been like that.

I have a moderate hearing loss due to environmental noise from being in the Marines. I won't pretend to know what a person who is born deaf or HoH has been through. I learned sign language many years ago and five years ago decided to go to school to become and interpreter. When I was out with my deaf friends, most often, other people would think I was deaf too. I could hear the ignorant remarks some other people made and the jokes. It made me angry but I knew that confrontation wasn't going to solve anything. The hearing world needs to understand that there is another culture/language in the deaf community and what deaf/HoH go through to maintain and keep going forward with their lives. It's easy for them to dismiss deaf when they haven't experienced what being deaf/HoH is like. Some hearing people equate deafness with mental retardation and we all here know that that isn't the case. I feel that the hearing world needs to change their viewpoint about deaf/HoH and stop trying to make deaf/HoH into hearing. They need to respect the culture and language of the deaf/HoH community. I agree that the deaf/HoH community could use more support from the hearing community. Most hearing people are just ignorant to the facts and ignorance sometimes breeds fear or other negative emotions. It saddens me that some people don't feel the need to be decent human beings and treat other people with respect. I had an incidence once where I went with some deaf friends to a restaurant for dinner. At one point I asked the waitstaff for some more lemons and they said "No". They couldn't be bothered to do their job for a group of deaf. I made sure to inform the manager about that incident. I personally would like to see more support and understanding from the hearing community towards deaf/HoH.

Hard Of Hearing (HOH) and Deaf people are different between us. It is because HOH like to speak only Oral-only method while Deaf would rather use ASL without voice to communicate. Some of HOH like to sign ASL while some other HOH don't want to sign but rather speak orally. Both HOH and Deaf people have different degrees of hearing loss. Mild to moderate hearing loss probably can pick up what the person said on the telephone while some HOH can not pick the sound up from the phone lines. As for the severely to profound hearing loss, that would be impossible to hear on the phone as they can not pick the sounds up.

The doctor and the AMA are wrong as they don't know what losing hearing loss is like. They don't have the experience of losing their hearing or have the experience of being deaf. Pretty much most hearing people are rude and audists because they think that with hearing devices like hearing aids, even CI for the d/Deaf were expected to hear clearly which is not true at all. Hearing devices does not work like that. Everyone is different when they hear something. I hope that help you understand why we are what we do as HOH and Deaf.

For me, I would rather be in the Deaf Community than being in the hearing society.

Everyone who lose their hearing can make decision what methods they want to choose to communicate. I hope this help you understand this.

I am hoh and ASL was never brought up to growing up and if I had learned ASL I would of had no one to use it with , I still have no to use ASL with , when I went to college the deaf students had nothing to do with me . There some deaf people that don't want to bother with hoh people b/c they don't ASL . I am not like that . I try to find away to talk to people . I wanted to invite a girl to my daughter birthday party and her mother didn't speak English and I didn't speak Spanish so I used one my daughter books to write a letter to the mother in Spanish , she was so touched that someone finally asked her child to a party. And we did not say one word to one another ! I don't get this crap about deaf and hoh people being on two difference teams.

I am hoh and ASL was never brought up to growing up and if I had learned ASL I would of had no one to use it with , I still have no to use ASL with , when I went to college the deaf students had nothing to do with me . There some deaf people that don't want to bother with hoh people b/c they don't ASL . I am not like that . I try to find away to talk to people . I wanted to invite a girl to my daughter birthday party and her mother didn't speak English and I didn't speak Spanish so I used one my daughter books to write a letter to the mother in Spanish , she was so touched that someone finally asked her child to a party. And we did not say one word to one another ! I don't get this crap about deaf and hoh people being on two difference teams.

Any human being that can see, and has a proper functioning ability to aquire. Languges, can learn and use ASL.
So unless you live alone in a cave bereft of any human contact..your statement is bunk.
Next

Back