Hearing Test this Thursday

StSapphire

Reaction score
So I finally got around to calling up an audi to get myself a hearing test, since within the past year or so I've found it more and more difficult to be able to hear/understand people around me when there's any sort of a background noise.

For the longest time, I (and most people around me) assumed it was just because I was either ignoring everyone else or not paying attention, but from both reading stuff on here and after noticing that even when I tried paying attention I still had difficulty in certain situations, I figured it's time to get tested and find out whether I actually do have any level of hearing loss.

Yes, sounds like it's time. You probably have a moderate loss, maybe only in the high frequencies. That sort of loss means you still hear, but don't always understand. You're losing the high-frequency consonants, like "s," "sh" and so on.

Have fun! ;-)

Yeah, I've no clue. I've not been tested since I was a small child, and I used to get wax plugs in my ears, so it's possible (but unlikely, because I flushed them somewhat recently, with no noticeable effect) that that's the source, too.

We'll see when Thursday rolls around, and depending on the results I get, I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions then. Surprisingly (or not, as the case may be) I'm not actually all that apprehensive or worried, no matter which way the results come back. My parents seemed extremely concerned when I mentioned it to them, and seemed confused when I wasn't, lol. I guess I'm more just curious, since I know whatever happens I'll be fine.

you exciting on hearing aid enjoy fun! Hope be happy I think youyou review speech and skills test your hearing, depend your match your hearing loss

Good luck you have fun!

let us know what your results are. I'm sure you'll get swamped with tons of advice if your results are positive. :D

We're all here for you!

I have complete loss in my right ear, and about 60% in my left since kindergarten, I stopped wearing hearing aids out of embarrassment I faced as a kid. So for 10 years I noticed it got worse and worse and I finally got out of my denial and said to myself "alright look, this is whats going on now what?" If it wasn't for a few AllDeaf buddies here I would of prolly got a crappy hearing aid that didn't do anything for me.

Well... that was awkward.

Went yesterday and took the test, which was... not at all how I thought hearing tests were conducted (soundproof box with wires and thingies). Throughout the test, I thought my hearing was actually worse than I thought, and then when it was done... I was told that not only do I not have any hearing loss, but that my hearing is very slightly better/sensitive than the population on average.

Basically, I was told that I likely have some difficulty separating conversations from background noise, but that the actual sensitivity of my hearing hasn't diminished whatsoever. So... goodie. :roll: (Not really though - doesn't really help my understanding in situations where I'm having difficulty, I just know that it's... I guess a problem with my brain or something? I didn't exactly expect to leave yesterday more confused, rather than less...

Auditory Processing Disorder is a possibility. My older daughter has that in a mild form as well as moderate hearing loss.

StSapphire, did the audi talk to you about what you could do or anything like that? You might want to look into some of the auditory or listening therapy programs, like LACE or something similar. Google "listening therapy" and see what you come up with.

I... don't know. Basically he didn't say much of anything to me other than "Uh... there's nothing wrong that we can detect in our soundbooth, sorry."

He wasn't hostile or anything, but I got the vague impression that he thought I was just being a hypochondriac or something similar about it.

I just looked up APD on Wikipedia, and that does sound like it could apply. Kinda disheartening that it looks like there's no easy way to diagnose it, and I'm a bit wary of self-diagnosis, since I'm concerned about the possibility of MSS as well.

Thanks for the support!

Well... that was awkward.

Went yesterday and took the test, which was... not at all how I thought hearing tests were conducted (soundproof box with wires and thingies). Throughout the test, I thought my hearing was actually worse than I thought, and then when it was done... I was told that not only do I not have any hearing loss, but that my hearing is very slightly better/sensitive than the population on average.

I'm confused, it was in a soundproof box with headphones and a clicker or it wasn't and you expected it to be? Our family doctor will do a preliminary test using just headphones and a sound machine, but we have to go to an audiologist for a more conclusive test. Did you get an audiogram?

I'm confused, it was in a soundproof box with headphones and a clicker or it wasn't and you expected it to be? Our family doctor will do a preliminary test using just headphones and a sound machine, but we have to go to an audiologist for a more conclusive test. Did you get an audiogram?

The former. It was in the big soundproof box, but I wasn't expecting that. (I thought they were headphones and sound machine like you said.)

They made an audiogram, but I forgot to ask for a copy of it. It was basically flat around... 10 or 20? and then shifted upwards at the right in the higher frequencies.

Interesting, higher frequencies are what the general population usually have trouble hearing even if they don't have any loss of hearing.

My un-professional assessment is that you're just weird :giggle: does that make you feel any better?

Actually it does sound like what Bottesini said, my oldest has it but it goes hand and hand with her ADHD too.

ADHD was my daughter's first diagnosis at a really young age. She walked at 7 months and that is often a sign.

Then the APD was added later. She is brilliant, but she has worked very hard to compensate all her life.

Yeah, that's what the audiologist said, too (about higher frequencies). He seemed surprised since apparently that's what constantly listening to loud music is supposed to be the first to "blast out" (which is apparently a medical term? lol)

And yeah... I knew I was weird a while ago. :P And that'd be interesting if it's caused by similar genetic/environmental factors that lead towards the development of ADD/ADHD, since I've been diagnosed with at least a mild case of that, as well.

On the other hand, either way, I've found that supplementing my spoken conversations with ASL has certainly raised my understanding in situations where I otherwise have difficulty understanding someone. And it helps me remember/learn my ASL too.

Yeah, that's what the audiologist said, too (about higher frequencies). He seemed surprised since apparently that's what constantly listening to loud music is supposed to be the first to "blast out" (which is apparently a medical term? lol)

And yeah... I knew I was weird a while ago. :P And that'd be interesting if it's caused by similar genetic/environmental factors that lead towards the development of ADD/ADHD, since I've been diagnosed with at least a mild case of that, as well.

On the other hand, either way, I've found that supplementing my spoken conversations with ASL has certainly raised my understanding in situations where I otherwise have difficulty understanding someone. And it helps me remember/learn my ASL too.

When you say your results shift "up" at higher frequencies, do you mean instead of 10-15 it is up at ~30 or so (= you have some hearing loss at those higher freqs) or that higher frequencies are "up" at 5-10 dbs (super-strength hearing)?

Last edited:
When you say your results shift "up" at higher frequencies, do you mean means instead of 10-15 it is up at ~30 or so (which would mean you have some hearing loss at those higher freqs) or that higher frequencies are "up" at 5-10 dbs (super-strength hearing)?

The latter. My hearing apparently gets better at higher frequencies, rather than worse.

Back