Hearing test for a 2 year old?

Tarafied

Reaction score
Well, my son is two and hardly talks. He prefers to sign. Our immediate family is all hearing, but I signed to him since he was a baby.

He had to have an evaluation because he doesn't talk much. The therapist seems to think he may be hard of hearing because of the way he talks. I know he can hear at least somewhat because he responds to noises. So he has to have a hearing test.

But (and maybe this is a dumb question) how do they test a toddler's hearing since he can't really communicate?

Hmm. I am sure the drs want to make sure his development is not delayed.. Just pre cautious.

My two boys got their hearing tests when they were born. The state of VA made me to take my oldest for second hearing test...but they did not ask me to get my youngest son to be tested for second time.

Drs need to know that developments varies from each child. I know a family whose son is 5 and hearing, he doesnt talk.. always signed but he had delayed development....

I am sure your son is fine overall, he is probably more comfortable signing than talking.

Well he may have apraxia which is a nereodevelopmental disabilty that inhibits speech production. Like the person with it knows what they want to say, but they have such bad oral motor difficulties that they can't get the words out.
As for your orgional question.....I would strongly advise a complete evalution....that means tests like an ABR/BAER as well as traditional play auditremy.....they test toddlers by playing "games" with them...I was tested when I was three, but I don't remember what happened.....for the past few years I've been doing the beep and spondee (say the word) tests.

almost forgot....that would be really kinda cool if your son does turn out to be hoh....he'll grow up with ASL AND speech.....not too many hoh kids get that chance....

Tarafied said:
Well, my son is two and hardly talks. He prefers to sign. Our immediate family is all hearing, but I signed to him since he was a baby.

He had to have an evaluation because he doesn't talk much. The therapist seems to think he may be hard of hearing because of the way he talks. I know he can hear at least somewhat because he responds to noises. So he has to have a hearing test.

But (and maybe this is a dumb question) how do they test a toddler's hearing since he can't really communicate?
It's a simple yes/no test. They will have you press a button if you hear anything. The more advanced part is where they have you repeat the word you heard. That's how they do the test. ;)

Back