Hearing person with severe desire to learn!

Anie

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new but excited to be here. Little background on myself: I'm hearing and don't know anyone who's d/Deaf or HOH, but I think ASL is such a beautiful language and I love the Deaf culture. I don't know anyone who uses ASL either, so that's making my desire to learn a little difficult. :hmm: Yeah.

So the reason I decided to try to learn ASL is basically because I'm love learning awesome new things. I have lots of health issues, including insomnia, so I like to be productive by learning things at night instead of sitting in the dark. Two nights ago I decided to start learning sign language, and here I am! I'm obviously very new and have a lot to learn, but I'm excited!

I'm hoping to post a video of me signing some songs soon-ish for some critiques, because like I said, I don't know anyone who knows anything. And I don't want to butcher your language indefinitely. :laugh2: But I do have a passion for music and I think signing is SO beautiful; I feel they merge together in an amazing way that transcends any other musical experience.

Until next time!

Last edited:
You should see a concert of "Sweet Honey in the Rock". They have some pretty good songs and an ASL interpreter who demonstrates the beauty of music in sign language.

Hello Anie! My name is Adam. I'm pretty new here as well. I'm not new to ASL, although not having used very much ASL for a few years I've forgotten some! Oops! =( I'm getting back into it though and picking it back up. Signing songs is probably one of the easiest ways to get practice interpreting and signing. It's also fun!

The best advice I can give you when signing songs: don't just sign the words, sign the meaning. That's what ASL is all about. Take a look at the lyrics of the songs and pick them apart line by line. Once you start learning more about Deaf culture and the ASL structure, you will be able to find ASL music videos all over the web and pick out which ones are just signing the words and the good ones that sign the meaning. I remember my ASL teacher telling us that if we stood up in front of the class and signed the words to the song in our final project she would fail us right there! I loved her for that because now, even just listening to music, I listen to what the meaning of the song is rather than just what the words are saying.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your videos! If you want to chat or practice signing, I'm usually available through Skype - rayne127. Everyone in the forums here seems great and really supportive so I'm sure anyone here would be willing to help also!

i have also found that learning how to sign my fav. songs has helped me learn asl really fast and also great to hear it on the radio and start signing

Back