Hearing person trying to understand

AbbyMeyer

Reaction score
I am a hearing person that got involved in the Deaf community and ASL initially because I have a deaf dog.

I have discovered so much through my teacher and another student, and Shel on this site.

I wonder what advice Deaf persons would offer to us hearing to enlighten other hearing persons that would make a difference to the Deaf community.

welcome to AD and i see your a fellow canuck and in ontario thats awesome...i am from ottawa...neways It's really good that hearing ppl are more interested in hoh/Ddeaf since it's a "silent diability" in that most people are rude when we can't hear..like we are doing it on purpose...I think it's great you are learning ASL lol dogs can learn ASL too and recognize ASL commands you know!

Hi Abby...can u post a pic of your dog?

:welcome: to AD!

Hello and welcome Abby to AD as Alisia said dogs are very smart and can learn sign I have a Hearing Ear Dog that knows both verbal and sign commands she was trained in Oakville Ontario by the Lions Foundation. I to am a Canuck living near Owen Sound, Ontario for now but wanting to relocate to London area to learn sign language.

Welcome Again Don :wave:

Hi Abby and welcome to AD! I also have a hearing dog that I trained. http://www.mnstate.edu/archives/MSUMAdvocate/Advocate 2002-03/100302.pdf Scroll down to page five and you'll see our picture on the left side. Read the article, too. Snickers is a nine-year-old Akita/German Shepherd cross and goes almost everywhere I do. I love having a hearing dog, but you'll find that some deaf would rather rely on technology (electricity). That fails and you're late for work or there's a fire . . . burned up without a dog, saved if you have one. Works for me.

It's not everyday a person joins the community because of a deaf dog. It's a nice thing to see.

It's not everyday a person joins the community because of a deaf dog. It's a nice thing to see.

I still cant get over how adorable that is. In today's rough times, stories like these are nice to make people feel good. :)

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Alicia, I really hope people aren’t being rude because you are hoh/deaf. I really had to consciously remember NOT to speak when we were on break at the class or any of the ASL get togethers we have. In my class only the teacher and one other student are deaf. The other 9, including myself, are hearing. If one of us does forget, another will remind them. It is getting much easier NOT to speak after 5 classes. But initially we needed to pay attention. And as you say it would be very rude of us to continue to speak. We are trying.

I am going to try to include a picture of Andy. This is him at work with one of my co workers – he just loves to go to work. .So far Andy has learned, come, sit, lie down, and stay, and of course cuddle. As I get better with ASL I hope to teach him much more. He is so eager to learn, as you say they are so smart.

Don, do they not have ASL in Owen Sound? We had tried to go to the classes at CHS in Collingwood, but there was not enough enrollment so we ended up in Newmarket (1 - ½ hours away - one way for us). Ember looks wonderful. What kind of training or bonding period did they allow between the two of you?

Pete, the article says Snickers “was my dog that I trained”. How did you do that? How old was she when you trained her? I understand she is 9 now, wow, I think that is really something. By the way, I think all dogs hog the bed - they just stake their claim. She is beautiful.

Just toooo cute for words! :lol:

Hello Abby you have a really cute dog there, As to your question about the sign classes in Owen Sound. Yes they offer a course in 1 at the local high school but the stupid teacher mixes ASL and English Sign together its so wrong and confusing. You also asked about the training and bonding with Ember well with Hearing Ear Dogs it is 16 days of training in Oakville at the Lions Foundation School you live on site for that time. Where abouts do you live if you wanted to attend classes in Collingwood? Stayner, Wasaga Beach just curious :giggle:.

Andy is a Jack Russell and a sweeter little guy you will never meet. He is such a gift to us and he has opened a whole new world for us. Things do happen in strange ways.

Buffalo, I had looked at the site you sent me before when I first got Andy, trying to get as much information as possible on how to care for him. Buried somewhere in that site is a suggestion on finding an acceptable and accommodating vet. You have no idea how difficult that was and how flaring my temper was. We had three vets tell us that the best thing that we could do was put him down, while he was young. Why these people became vets is beyond me. We did finally end up with a terrific young vet who treats Andy with the same love and respect we do.

My husband also modified a remote control car (well took it apart and made it something entirely different) that we have attached to his collar that we put on him when he goes outside. We can make it vibrate to get his attention, though in all honesty he rarely needs it as he sticks pretty close to us. We have 100 acres where we live (boonies) so I don't worry about him on a leash. But when he goes to work with me or anywhere else he is constantly on a leash, because like any dog, or terrier, leaves, squirrels, cats, well anything grabs his attention and I know his attention is focused on that and not on his safety.

Don, I have my ASL class tomorrow in Newmarket, and I will ask them if there is somewhere closer that you can go for classes. I googled CHS and there is nothing close to you in Owen Sound --- sad isn't it. I live north of Shelburne -- basically in the middle of nowhere.

Abby

I am surprised about the three vets telling you to euthanize your dog. I have had several deaf pets.

No one ever suggested killing them. Maybe they realize a deaf person might not think just being deaf was enough reason to die.:hmm:

I heard they use deaf dogs on fire trucks, because hearing dogs have SUPER sensitive hearing which makes deaf dogs the best for the job. Huh, huh? Anyone else heard about this? Maybe your dog can start contributing to the household with a job at your local FD.

I heard they use deaf dogs on fire trucks, because hearing dogs have SUPER sensitive hearing which makes deaf dogs the best for the job. Huh, huh? Anyone else heard about this? Maybe your dog can start contributing to the household with a job at your local FD.

Dalmatians used to be the dogs in fire stations. One in twelve Dalmatians is born deaf. It is a genetic trait of the breed.

Back