Hearing people's view of CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have. I've seen Cloggy take and synthesize input from the Deaf community, with gratitude, looking back through his many years here starting well before I began reading regularly almost 5 years ago.

And I've also seen him (and others) as a great source of information and inspiration, and I'm surprised that you don't find that to be the case as well, especially when it comes to topics that he has experience with -- raising a deaf child, making a decision about CIs, etc. -- that most here don't have. Fewer and fewer stick around given the reception, but still, there's a regular stream of new parents of deaf children who stop by looking for information about what it means to be deaf (which those who are themselves deaf can provide) and what's involved in raising deaf kids and making decisions about technology and language and the current state of academic placement (which those who are both deaf and hearing and have raised or are now raising deaf children can provide).

That handful of us who are hearing and deaf parents of deaf kids can and do learn a lot from this community, and can also provide a great deal of info. about what our children are experiencing both to this community and to the next generation of new parents who come here. But the deaf community here and beyond is not homogeneous, so some of us may be listening to those who are deaf/hoh, as you suggest: listening to the majority of those who say go mainstream (whether with ASL or oral support) or deaf school (oral) vs. a minority who advise that deaf kids need to learn in an ASL environment.

I guess you don't read the introduce yourself subcategory. Many many stories of deaf or hot people sharing their sTories of how they wish they had ASL and the Deaf community growing up.
ASL valued by the minority? I think not

It keeps occurring to me that a good bit of the differences between Cloggy and a number of other posters could well come from location! Norway and the US are bound of have cultural differences as well as language with Cloggy using what is bound to be at least a second language when posting here.

It keeps occurring to me that a good bit of the differences between Cloggy and a number of other posters could well come from location! Norway and the US are bound of have cultural differences as well as language with Cloggy using what is bound to be at least a second language when posting here.
You are very right.
There's a huge difference between the countries.
I haven't experienced living in a place where there are many deaf people. Here there are 4 million people in a large country, with few large cities. Many remote places.

As for "second language".. for many AD'rs English is also a second language..
I hope you can understand my writing.. :cool2:

I don't think the differences in opinion are due to understanding of English...
It's mainly based on point of view..

You've combined the beginning of one sentence about one thing with the end of another about something different. I could do that with your paragraph below and quote you as saying : "I could learn a lot from ...you." if that's what you mean, you're welcome ;). But if you have a question about the scope of my statement or who I'm referring to, my previous message includes a direct quote that's bolded to show where you can find the answer.
didn't mix and match at all and my dots were to show that a part was left out.
You wrote: "That handful of us who are hearing and deaf parents of deaf kids can and do learn a lot from this community, and can also provide a great deal of info. about what our children are experiencing both to this community and to the next generation of new parents who come here. But the deaf community here and beyond is not homogeneous, so some of us may be listening to those who are deaf/hoh, as you suggest: listening to the majority of those who say go mainstream (whether with ASL or oral support) or deaf school (oral) vs. a minority who advise that deaf kids need to learn in an ASL environment."

I quoted: ""That handful of us who are hearing and deaf parents of deaf kids can and do learn a lot from this community, ....so some of us may be listening to those who are deaf/hoh, as you suggest: listening to the majority of those who say go mainstream (whether with ASL or oral support) or deaf school (oral) vs. a minority who advise that deaf kids need to learn in an ASL environment."

SAME PARAGRAPH

Where's the mixing and matching? I left out the part in the middle of the same paragraph because I am asking you if you're saying that "from this community...majority of dhh/deaf recommend mainstreaming" and I even threw in "I'm assuming by "this community" you mean AD". If I'm wrong, just say so.

There was no mixing/matching. That made me laugh though, thanks.

You still haven't answered the question BTW.

You've combined the beginning of one sentence about one thing with the end of another about something different. I could do that with your paragraph below and quote you as saying : "I could learn a lot from ...you." if that's what you mean, you're welcome ;). But if you have a question about the scope of my statement or who I'm referring to, my previous message includes a direct quote that's bolded to show where you can find the answer.

We can all learn a lot from each other.. And we ourself determine which information we use, which we discard, and which information we discuss.

Sometimes our thoughts are quicker than our fingers and what we write is not how we mean to say it..

Sometimes we do better to ask for an explanation to something that is written, than to make a conclusion on what's written and start firing...
I am guilty of the above.. Sometimes the "Return" key is pressed too quickly...

So, in a very roundabout way then, you're saying the majority of the Deaf community, here and beyond, support mainstreaming?

And you still haven't answered my question about majority of d/Deaf on AD supporting mainstreaming. I would love to hear a direct answer to that, if you please.

So, in a very roundabout way then, you're saying the majority of the Deaf community, here and beyond, support mainstreaming?

I don't support it and I was mainstreamed.

Knowing her, it's not what she meant. Having learned about people here, I know it's not the case. And I think you also know that.. on both accounts
You have seen here on AD for a while as well...
But.. I'll let her explain...

Knowing her, it's not what she meant. Having learned about people here, I know it's not the case. And I think you also know that.. on both accounts
You have seen here on AD for a while as well...
But.. I'll let her explain...

Please do let her answer the question I directed to her.

ok, let me do you and GrendelQ the courtesy of including the ENTIRE paragraph:

"That handful of us who are hearing and deaf parents of deaf kids can and do learn a lot from this community, and can also provide a great deal of info. about what our children are experiencing both to this community and to the next generation of new parents who come here. But the deaf community here and beyond is not homogeneous, so some of us may be listening to those who are deaf/hoh, as you suggest: listening to the majority of those who say go mainstream (whether with ASL or oral support) or deaf school (oral) vs. a minority who advise that deaf kids need to learn in an ASL environment."

I would not support mainstream in any shape or form, whether ASL or oral.

(Of course, that's just my answer. Not answering for Grendel.)

Please do let her answer the question I directed to her.

ok, let me do you and GrendelQ the courtesy of including the ENTIRE paragraph:
Yes Ma'm. Sorry Ma'm. I apologize for involving myself... :Oops:

No-No.. please.. no courtesies towards me...

Who said that?
That's not my experience...

It's interesting you say "..your child is still deaf."
I suddenly realise.. "deaf" is a label here... It's an identification for the group..
The child cannot hear without CI, so it is "deaf". It belongs in the deaf people world..
I see "deaf" as a physical thing... as "not able to hear".. Not a label, but a way to describe a function.

As a parent looking at his daughter listening & chatting away to her family, friends, on the telephone.. my daughter is not deaf. Her whole waking time is spent listening to sounds. And when she goes to sleep, she takes off the CI to be charged, and goes to sleep... after some more chatting...
If "deaf" means "cannot hear anything" or "cannot recognise speech".. then this child is not deaf.

So... she's "deaf" so that she can "belong" in the group with all other people that have been born deaf or became deaf. But otherwise .. she's not deaf.

She's been born deaf... now she can hear.

She is NOT hearing. She is HOH! You're buying into the myth that HOH= more hearing then deaf. She can interact with the hearing world yes, and function pretty well....but bear in mind that your daughter is still young. A lot of oral kids do well when they are young b/c things are really easy. BUT things change....wait til fourth grade, wait til middle and high school. The world is not a soundbooth, and those of us who are dhh and "hear" through CI or HA do not hear like hearing people. We hear like HOH.........which means we hear like deaf people who can hear. If you could hear what a CI or HA sounds like, to a person who was born/early dhh you would understand. Even I don't hear like a hearing person and I have a conducitve loss.

Absolutely nothing..!!! That's great thinking..!!

We should have done that.. Wait.. We did....

you got you memory misplaced or more accurately, you pretended you did.

Mod Note: Infraction/Ban given for insulting other member(s).

you got you memory misplaced or more accurately, you pretended you did.

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that this poster did sign with his child in the beginning. I think that's what he meant when he said, "we did".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back