Hearing people.

WakeyNicole

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I literally talk about hearing people who don't understand deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people.

They just don't help with deaf, hard of hearing disabled people! Why not the hearing people to help deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people!?

How do I feel about that? I feel so awkward, a kind of upset and disgusting by the hearing people. I feel awkward because the hearing people are easier to lose me in somewhere, for example: If I follow my hearing friends, but they are gone to their classes and I'm lost in somewhere! I feel a kind of upset because the hearing people don't help me with the English and sometimes they don't help me with the speech. I feel disgusting because the hearing people just feel like a dirty side by themselves. I hate to see them like that!

I like to make new friends with all deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people because I feel like be happy, laugh, fun and understand them! We can use ASL or BSL, but I learned ASL more than BSL.

Tell me how do you feel about the hearing people don't understand who you are, the way you talk to them, etc?

Thank you. :D

You say you don't like hearing people b/c they don't help you if you get lost when they are speaking.

Are you actually telling them, you can't keep up etc and don't know what they are saying?! They can't read minds and unless you say something, they'll assume you will be catching everything that is being said.

If I don't catch what people are saying, I'll stop them and ask them to say it again, I won't just assume they are being rude and 'I hate hearing people'!!

Hi guys.

I literally talk about hearing people who don't understand deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people.

They just don't help with deaf, hard of hearing disabled people! Why not the hearing people to help deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people!?

How do I feel about that? I feel so awkward, a kind of upset and disgusting by the hearing people. I feel awkward because the hearing people are easier to lose me in somewhere, for example: If I follow my hearing friends, but they are gone to their classes and I'm lost in somewhere! I feel a kind of upset because the hearing people don't help me with the English and sometimes they don't help me with the speech. I feel disgusting because the hearing people just feel like a dirty side by themselves. I hate to see them like that!

I like to make new friends with all deaf, hard of hearing and disabled people because I feel like be happy, laugh, fun and understand them! We can use ASL or BSL, but I learned ASL more than BSL.

Tell me how do you feel about the hearing people don't understand who you are, the way you talk to them, etc?

Thank you. :D

You're overly generalizing. A person from another country would probably have the same problem but I doubt they'd say that they hate all English speakers. The only person responsible for your success is you, not your friends. They have their own life. Start looking towards yourself, especially if you're also unhappy at home. It's probably time to find your place and make different friends if the ones you have disgust you so much. Edit to add that if you were involved in classes, you'd have less time to focus on your limiatations and you might find what you're passionate about for a career. I'd suggest taking classes at a local college, assuming you can afford to do so when you get your own place. Staying active and involved is important.

Laura

your heart in a good place,but you could be seen as patronizing,If you want be part of deaf world go to a club or volenteer your help to the hundreds of disabled organizations i know there are in America
Many people on A/D have asked for someone to sign with and i said yes many times,but they never come back to me after giving me a time,it put me to much trouble setting it up so i vow not to say yes anymore.That why going to inderviduals may not be best route

Reading some of your comments re: Hearing people suggests a too wide generalization which couldn't possible be true. Specifically : how many actual Hearing persons have you met in your short time? Every one does the same thing? Really!

I also notice you keep making referrence to "disabled"- does that mean you consider_ deaf or Hard of Hearing-disabled?

As an actual bilateral DEAF person with a Cochlear Implant- I don't consider I am "disabled". aside: the topic was extensively discussed at Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto classes" Coping/Dealing with your Hearing Loss".

Considering the number of Hearing persons in this world-one can generalize on the actual hearing persons one has intereacted with re: your family/friends etc.

How long have you had/used your Cochlear Implant? aside- me-6 years/Hearig aids:40

If you read the multiple comments here: clearly there isn't a ?monolitic group called the deaf." Hearing aids and Cochlear Implants has changed everything from the "old time steamboat era" of the recent past.

More discussion in Sociology: deaf culture

How do I feel about hearing people? I feel it is not their place to have to help me. I feel hearing people don't owe us anything. And, I'm grateful that hearing people do help us with many things such as SSDI for those who can't work; CC and interpreters for those who need it; basically repeating themselves when I ask them.

I know at your age this is an adjustment for you. However, what you need to do is to not be dependent or a burden on other people. You can make better use of technology by placing your own calls through a relay service doing more things for yourself. You can be totally self sufficent and not need help.

Take control of your life. It's not going to be the same as someone's who can hear, but you can function just as well. And, you'll feel a lot better for it.

I am a hearing person and interested in Deaf culture. I'm sorry if you have been left feeling lost and not helped. One problem with hearing people is that they don't always know what a deaf person needs. In my lifetime I just haven't seen very many deaf or hard of hearing people, and when I do, they are usually with someone who can hear and sign. I would never purposely leave someone not knowing what's going on or lost. I just don't always know the best way to help a person understand.

Back