Hearing Newbie!!

Welcome Samantha! :wave:

I know it can be hard finding a way to fit into a new community like ours. It's easy to say things that you think mean one thing and have someone else get upset.

My advice is: try to remain calm and do not make any sudden movements. :eek3:

You can call me any version of Deaf you want :deaf:. Just don't call me Hearing Impaired. This is one of those rules where most Deaffies agree. There will always be a few out there that refer to themselves with that term, but most of them are not culturally Deaf (hence the capital 'D').

The second thing you will notice is Deaf folks tend to be very blunt and say exactly what they feel about something. Hearing folks often take offense to this because their culture says that responses should be mutted as to not hurt others feelings. That's just a cultural thing. You could come up to me at a Deaf gathering and call me fat and I would probably laugh and say you are right. :laugh2:

Lastly, if you are willing to listen, to change your way of thinking, to be open to new ideas.... then we want to have you here. We want others outside of our communities to understand who we are and the wonderful rich diverse lives we live. (I believe my life is much better for knowing the people here on Alldeaf).

That's really wonderful. I hope to gain the same from my time here. I don't want to be one of those people who just asks a bunch of questions and then leaves. After college, this is going to be a huge part of my life so I figured I would get a jump start here. I can see how many people coming on here and questioning you guys could be horribly annoying, it wasn't my intention to start off my experience here in that way. Thank you for explaining it to me, it's has been my experience that mind reading through the computer screen is particularly difficult, especially since my crystal ball has been at the shop. :giggle: so, I really do appreciate it.

That's really wonderful. I hope to gain the same from my time here. I don't want to be one of those people who just asks a bunch of questions and then leaves. After college, this is going to be a huge part of my life so I figured I would get a jump start here. I can see how many people coming on here and questioning you guys could be horribly annoying, it wasn't my intention to start off my experience here in that way. Thank you for explaining it to me, it's has been my experience that mind reading through the computer screen is particularly difficult, especially since my crystal ball has been at the shop. :giggle: so, I really do appreciate it.

Mind reading over the computer is difficult... I still do it from time to time! :giggle:

Mind reading over the computer is difficult... I still do it from time to time! :giggle:

lol I'm really happy I found a new forum to be on! I love being able to meet people all over the world in my bedroom. I used to be on one a couple of years ago but it just wasn't for me anymore.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum.

How can your teacher say that Deafness is not the right term for us, Deafies? Many professionals in medical community and also in the school system like the mainstream schools used that term (not deafness) for "hearing impaired". We hate that word. I suppose "deafness" means "not deaf enough" or "less deaf". :dunno:

But we cherish the word "Deaf" very much a lot better than "hearing impaired". Are you sure she knows the Deaf Culture well? :hmm:

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back