Hearing mom with deaf toddler, AB Canada

A 50 db level is a moderate loss and it is not a guarantee that the person will develop speech skills.

As for mild, I know several and practically all of them have speech skills.

Yes, yes indeedy........Many HOH kids can develop speech abilty, but not all...and I mean even mentally normal kids may not be able to develop speech skills for a variety of reasons.

ANd CSign, unfortunately EI doesn't always bring up HOH kids to "almost hearing" levels.....it can narrow the gap in a lot of cases, but a lot of HOH kids still have significant spoken language issues (and not just artiucaltion or boring shit like that)

Um CSign, they've had EI for a VERY long time. This isn't 1985 you know........and we're talking about HOH kids...not deaf kids....

Um DeafDyke, you do realize Shel had originally stated that she was referring to people her age and older... And the laws have even significantly changed since 1985- particularly when IDEA was reauthorized in 2004. Beyond that, I don't know what your point is about HH kids vs. deaf kids... Is there one?

ANd CSign, unfortunately EI doesn't always bring up HOH kids to "almost hearing" levels.....it can narrow the gap in a lot of cases, but a lot of HOH kids still have significant spoken language issues (and not just artiucaltion or boring shit like that)

Who said anything about "almost hearing levels"?? Significant spoken language issues unrelated to the actual production of speech (articulation, you know- boring shit like that) are most often directly connected with language delays, and in some cases particularly expressive language delays. That comes from not having a solid first language.

Um DeafDyke, you do realize Shel had originally stated that she was referring to people her age and older... And the laws have even significantly changed since 1985- particularly when IDEA was reauthorized in 2004. Beyond that, I don't know what your point is about HH kids vs. deaf kids... Is there one?

Yes, Shel is one of the first generation to have early intervention...it started in the '70's with BOTH deaf and HOH kids.....
what does a legal change in the law have to do with anything? The point is that there are still some moderate kids with normal intelligence and no other issues who for whatever reason never picked up on spoken language skills.
It's prolly kind of unusual.....but I mean it prolly still happens even today...believe it or not!

Who said anything about "almost hearing levels"?? Significant spoken language issues unrelated to the actual production of speech (articulation, you know- boring shit like that) are most often directly connected with language delays, and in some cases particularly expressive language delays. That comes from not having a solid first language.

That's very well known.....but the thing is, HOH kids can still have spoken language issues.....EI simply narrows the gap.....in some cases yes, they're on par....but there are still many HOH kids with spoken language delays...I think 30% still do. So issues with spoken language aren't just a result of lack of early intervention or lack of exposure to spoken language via hearing aids or CIs.

Wirelessly posted

Update: took son in to private clinic for audiology test. He behaved remarkably well. Testing in booth shows moderate-severe across all frequencies. We are trying to get referral for new ABR at a different hospital (3 hrs away) BUT in meantime are going to get him used to us touching his ears more so we can do earmold impressions and then get loaner aids. Progress. He also learned 3 new signs this week (spontaneously showed me TOY, BIRD and Shrek - alien antennae on forehead) and I'm practicing ASL with our Deaf support teacher on Saturday mornings now.

Wirelessly posted

Update: took son in to private clinic for audiology test. He behaved remarkably well. Testing in booth shows moderate-severe across all frequencies. We are trying to get referral for new ABR at a different hospital (3 hrs away) BUT in meantime are going to get him used to us touching his ears more so we can do earmold impressions and then get loaner aids. Progress. He also learned 3 new signs this week (spontaneously showed me TOY, BIRD and Shrek - alien antennae on forehead) and I'm practicing ASL with our Deaf support teacher on Saturday mornings now.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I know there's a lot of emphasis on early as possible oral intervention, but your son still has a lot of time to make gains. Even kids who have extremely early intervention still may have delays. It's just that they're not so delayed, they're still learning to speak 2 year old level words in first grade. The future is still very wide open for your son.

Back