Hearing loss an 'invisible,' and widely uninsured problem

Oh yeah, I posted that on my facebook. This is a subject that just completely burns my ass. And I want to know why they talk about kids, and older people with age related loss.....but what about people with Meniere's disease, or otosclerosis, or other illness related hearing loss, while we're still working age? What we don't need to hear to work like people with bad sight need glasses? Imagine for a second if the cheapest pair of glasses you could find were $1000. How many people would be all over their state representatives to get laws changed about coverage?

Oh yeah, I posted that on my facebook. This is a subject that just completely burns my ass. And I want to know why they talk about kids, and older people with age related loss.....but what about people with Meniere's disease, or otosclerosis, or other illness related hearing loss, while we're still working age? What we don't need to hear to work like people with bad sight need glasses? Imagine for a second if the cheapest pair of glasses you could find were $1000. How many people would be all over their state representatives to get laws changed about coverage?

Insurance companies are literally as bad as the mafia. I think the argument I was that hearing aids are a luxury and it's not necessary to go about day to day living. That's like telling someone that's legally blind that eyeglasses are a luxury and you don't need them for everyday activities.....like driving to work....:jaw:

I feel horribly for a lot of newly deafened adults to have to deal with trying to get insurance coverage - and children from low income families. No matter what your disability, insurance companies shouldn't have the last say over your dental care, eyeglasses and vision health, or anything with your hearing. There's too many people missing out as is and it's not right that these companies get away with denying people - what many folks - already pay dearly for.

so Steinhauer...... care to explain this which contradicts with your post?

Do you know how hard it is to find a health/medical insurance company that will cover the cost of hearing aids?

Now get this. Obamacare has absolutely no provisions for the hearing impaired.

None.

If the Federal Government, under Obamacare, will not have any provisions covering the cost of hearing aids, or audiological visits, what makes you think a private insurance company will do the same?

I realize this is a different topic altogether, but has anyone actually read up on how drastically Obama altered the ADA?

He has made it downright hostile to private businesses. I guess when George Bush Sr, signed the ADA into law, everyone assumed that the term "reasonable" could be agreed upon.

A Hotel owner could use a portable lift for wheelchair users if they wanted to go swimming in the pool ... not anymore. Depending on the size of the pool, a number of permanent fixtures must be put in place, and a staff member specifically trained to operate them, at every utility that uses water. A pool, a jacuzzi, a wading pool ... at 3-5 grand a pop.

The portable lift? Throw it away ...

Oh yeah, and golf course greens must meet equal accessibility laws, meaning the greens must be wheel chair accessible. Say goodbye to rye and bermuda ...its fake turf from here on out.

Thanks Obama!!! :roll:

(but I already have a daddy)

Insurance companies are literally as bad as the mafia. I think the argument I was that hearing aids are a luxury and it's not necessary to go about day to day living. That's like telling someone that's legally blind that eyeglasses are a luxury and you don't need them for everyday activities.....like driving to work....:jaw:

I feel horribly for a lot of newly deafened adults to have to deal with trying to get insurance coverage - and children from low income families. No matter what your disability, insurance companies shouldn't have the last say over your dental care, eyeglasses and vision health, or anything with your hearing. There's too many people missing out as is and it's not right that these companies get away with denying people - what many folks - already pay dearly for.

I would say that hearing aids get treated exactly like glasses by insurance companies, they'll cover the vision/hearing test, but not the frames or lenses or hearing aids. But some insurance companies will pay for select frames, or part of select frames, hopefully you like them, but they won't cover any of hearing aids, except for children in certain states. hearing loss will not kill you so therefore they are not medically necessary so they don't cover them. BUT know what isn't medically necessary? Vasectomies, but they cover those because it will potentially save them money in the long run if it means that man will not be fathering any children. So phooey on you insurance companies!!!

and this why i sooooooo glad i live where i do ...we moan about nhs here but bloody site better than american health insurence

Back