Hearing in the Deaf Community Advice Needed

NickysMom

Reaction score
My little boy is deaf and attends a deaf school. I've just been given the cell phone number of another parent to contact, but I don't know if its just a text phone. It would be so inappropriate to assume she is hearing, how do I politely ask?

do you have a cellphone? if so, you can text her your email and you two can get to know each other.

But more likely, whoever gave you the cellphone number would have warn you that she is deaf and you need to text her. If she didn't warn you, The parent is probably hearing. OR she has a relay service? (even though I don't know how that work as I hardly ever use the relay service except when *I* make the call)

oh, if you did make the call, you won't have to ask if she is deaf. Most deaf people will tell you right on the spot.

just ask the person who gave you the number, there's nothing wrong about asking if someone is hearing or Deaf :)

I don't mind if some hearing parents ask me if i am deaf or not. I would rather if they know I am deaf so they better ask me then i would feel better that the hearing parent knows i am deaf. I am sure that if they were hearing and don't mind if they have been asked vice versa the same thing. This is less confusion. :shrug:

It's true. I wouldn't give anyone my phone number without explaining that they'll have to text me rather then call. If they didn't explain this then assume that they are either hearing or someone hearing will answer their call for me.

I can understand your situation so what I would do is just call and if someone answers as for the name of the person who gave you the number. You'll either end up talking to that person (because they are hearing) or who ever answers will say something along the lines of "She can't hear on the phone but I can relay a message to her".

So you're covered either way there.

Ron Jaxon

Back