Hearing gets louder

deafdrummer

Reaction score
I don't know where to put this, so here goes.

About a month ago, I started to play a brass-type aerophone instrument that would be similar to a trombone in volume size.

Recently, in the last week, I have noticed that after I play for about 10-15 minutes continuously as I practice, my hearing suddenly gets louder, and bass notes and sounds around me and outside suddenly become louder and clearer. Today, I heard water draining down into the drain pipe of the sink (because I had left the hot water running just slightly, past the drip point. I couldn't not believe all the different noises water makes! Things come through to me much clearer in BOTH ears! I have always known that the apartment I live in has an echo in the rooms, but I didn't realize how long it can ring out. I've had to turn down my computer volume control.

WHAT IS GOING ON?? :shock:

I have experienced this three times previously, once when I was a kid, and again when I was in my late 20s and had to stop wearing my hearing aids because everything was too loud, but yet I had a narrow dynamic range that I could hear and was comfortable for me. It was about a year and a half before I could wear hearing aids comfortably again. The last time was when I went low-fat-raw-vegan for 59 days two years ago to really clean my body out and noticed a small increase in volume, but not like this past week! Anyway, it definitely happens after I play my instrument. Today was the first day that I noticed that the clearness and volume stays on in both ears and not just for the few minutes immediately after I stop playing. I last played last night, and it's still there.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

I don't know where to put this, so here goes.

About a month ago, I started to play a brass-type aerophone instrument that would be similar to a trombone in volume size.

Recently, in the last week, I have noticed that after I play for about 10-15 minutes continuously as I practice, my hearing suddenly gets louder, and bass notes and sounds around me and outside suddenly become louder and clearer. Today, I heard water draining down into the drain pipe of the sink (because I had left the hot water running just slightly, past the drip point. I couldn't not believe all the different noises water makes! Things come through to me much clearer in BOTH ears! I have always known that the apartment I live in has an echo in the rooms, but I didn't realize how long it can ring out. I've had to turn down my computer volume control.

WHAT IS GOING ON?? :shock:

I have experienced this three times previously, once when I was a kid, and again when I was in my late 20s and had to stop wearing my hearing aids because everything was too loud, but yet I had a narrow dynamic range that I could hear and was comfortable for me. It was about a year and a half before I could wear hearing aids comfortably again. The last time was when I went low-fat-raw-vegan for 59 days two years ago to really clean my body out and noticed a small increase in volume, but not like this past week! Anyway, it definitely happens after I play my instrument. Today was the first day that I noticed that the clearness and volume stays on in both ears and not just for the few minutes immediately after I stop playing. I last played last night, and it's still there.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

If you are gaining hearing back, go to the doctors ASAP! It is possible that there may be treatment to regain more of it. Do NOT waste any time!

Hi Deaf drummer
When you blow against a resistance as with your musical instrument, you alter the shape of your eardrum. (it bulges out slightly). This increases the sensitivity of the sound transmitted across the ossicular chain and thus onto the oval window of the cochlea. A lot of people experience this if you hold your nose and blow carefully. You may find your ears 'pop' and you experience the same increase in sensitivity.
It is worth getting checked out, but be prepared to be told that nothing permanent is possible........yet.
Good luck though.

If you are gaining hearing back, go to the doctors ASAP! It is possible that there may be treatment to regain more of it. Do NOT waste any time!

Really? Are you sure? I've never heard of any treatments to restore hearing... With the exception of placing tubes if the hearing loss is conductive and a result of fluid build up... Is there something else you are referring to?

(I think he's referring to stem cell therapy, but I doubt it, as it's not ready)

Hi Deaf drummer
When you blow against a resistance as with your musical instrument, you alter the shape of your eardrum. (it bulges out slightly). This increases the sensitivity of the sound transmitted across the ossicular chain and thus onto the oval window of the cochlea. A lot of people experience this if you hold your nose and blow carefully. You may find your ears 'pop' and you experience the same increase in sensitivity.
It is worth getting checked out, but be prepared to be told that nothing permanent is possible........yet.
Good luck though.

I see... Is there any possibility that the low frequency of this instrument I'm playing is resonating back up through the eustachian tubes, causing something to happen with the bones of the middle ear? Like, maybe I've got calcified deposits or a sticky residue that's breaking apart off the bones? If I interpret the pictures of the area right, the eustachian tubes are open to the throat. Is there any likelyhood that food of a sticky nature (food that leaves behind a sticky or glue-like residue) could have gotten up the eustachian tubes and partially closed up the pathways? One of the nights, when I stopped blowing in the instrument to change positions on the mouthpiece, it was real loud, more like lower frequencies were quite loud, and I started clapping to hear the echos I described earlier. Yesterday, I heard a friend's bird chirping through a window!

I do not believe I was born deaf because of two clues. I started to talk when I was two MONTHS old, and my vocabulary slowed down, almost stopped after the first year. A third one would be being 3 and 5 years old and opening the anatomy book to the cellophane pages and pointing to the head in front of Mom for two years. I remember that part, but getting mad and sometimes crying myself to sleep when Mom didn't see what was wrong is blocked out. Mom told me that years later. The day I got my first body aids, I was very excited and said, "I can hear, I can hear!" Is that normal behavior for a deaf child born that way? I was seven and a half when I was found to be deaf. I have always worn HAs all the time except for that period when I couldn't.

Right now, several hours later, things still sound clear, loud, and sharp. I just got out of a store, and the lady I was talking to seemed a bit loud, starting to become uncomfortable, and the men's voices were quite loud with noticeable resonance. I have had to turn off the HAs while I'm driving, as it's just too much. The crunching of my celery is pretty clear, like I hear a lot more fibers snapping and popping as I chew. I can hear jeans sliding when I put them on! I didn't know they did that against skin!

I don't have any pain or unusual residue of any kind.

Last edited:
Things are still the same, and when I first put my hearing aids on in the morning, a certain pitch in the lower range of my voice makes my ears tickle. That's been happening since yesterday, and I've had to turn my hearing aids down.

I've been sick today. I must have picked up something over a four-day weekend at the store, with hundreds of people shaking each others' hands and handling the fruit in the breakroom, or I freaked out after I got off on Monday and ate badly. That's when I started feeling. In the last 20 minutes, things have gotten LOUD in both ears. I was going to warm up with just my mouth to see how much I can do on the didgeridoo tonight, and my lips blowing definitely sound different! When I play the didge, things are really loud after I stop playing, and my breathing is loud!

Last edited:
Wow, in spite of being really sick, things are LOUD and CLEAR. It hurts to go outside because it's SO LOUD. That has NEVER happened before, my hearing staying stable while sick, never mind increase. I was outside on the bench taking in the sun, and I was hearing this sound, "Deck, deck... Deck deck." I was like, WHAT is that? It's the cars rolling over the apartment gate tracks as they exit out the complex. I've always heard them as, "Tack, tack." The impact wasn't as loud before, and the higher pitch has become more evident. Higher pitches in general are becoming more evident. Blowing my nose is very clear and has a lot of hissing sound of a higher pitch. Breathing sounds sharper, too.

This reminds me of the story I read 20-25 years ago of a deaf man who worked for a munitions plant during WWII. After a while, he got to a point where he could hear motors running and transmission gears clashing, something he had never heard before working there. Why did this happen? Did the explosions or the machinery stimulate the middle ear apparatus enough to the point where the bones would work so hard that they were either freeing themselves or the calcium deposits were getting "chipped off" the original bones? I've never forgotten this story.

No, no money.

Last night, my right ear went down partially, but this morning, I pinched my nose and blew a bit, and it opened right back up and WOW, it's loud! I'm going to work today, and I may have to come home early if I run out of energy.

God bless you.I really hope you go see what the ear doctor can do befor the good hearing leaves ..keep us posted.

I'm still sick, but the worse is over, and yes, I still have to turn my hearing aids down. I haven't played my instrument as much because I'm trying to get my strength back, but my hearing is still loud and clear.

May you be successful in your Quest for Freedom.

My hearing hasn't changed any further, nor has it gone back to what it was before. So far so good.

My experience isn't similar exactly, but before I sound like a complete nut :crazy:, I'll start with what is probably a stupid question, ever heard of recruitment? Because my experience is like yours, but not quite exactly, because mine started like ten years or so ago unbeknownst to me until the pain made me aware something was happening. Then the unraveling of relationships became apparent also because then I could see where I wasn't hearing people and I was mumbling and all sorts of other things (just like most stories)....but it started out as hearing noises crystal clear then went downhill as the crystal clear became noises to amplified for me to take. Anyway, before I went into all that I guess I should have let you answer the question, because I am on a deaf site and the question could have been redundant. Just cause my drs said they had never heard of it, doesn't mean it's new to all. One was nice enough to research it and then have me come back to see him. Although, I see the nurse practitioner now because, oh I'm not even going into that mix up!!! :laugh2: I'm still learning so you just can say shut up newbie if it's irrelevant...:lol: but the way you explained hearing the sounds is very familiar to the way I started off... so it made me curious

Last edited:
Back