Hearing Dogs

Thedeafzombie

Reaction score
Hey! So I have been deaf for just over a year now, and have been thinking about getting a hearing dog. I live in Alberta, and found a really great program. Does anyone on here have a hearing dog that can give me advice and pointers on what they think I should do?

I say go for it ! I had a Standard Poodle for a hearing dog . Made sure the dog with be certification and how long they been training dogs . I had to have a recent hearing
test and go for an interview to see if I would be a good candidate for a hearing dog . They don't like the dog being home along for long periods . I was asked how big a dog I wanted and want name I wanted to trained my dog to respond to so when people called me from a distance my hearing dog would let me know . You'll need to get the ball rolling b/c it can take up to 3 years to get a hearing dog , they need to be trained and people will be ahead of you . What is the name of place you would use
I went to NEADS .

I can help you if you need help, I did a lot of research on hearing dogs but I am waiting until my hearing gets a little worse before I spend the money and time :) I can't wait, right now I use my kids hehe

Thank you! Since I live in Alberta, I have been looking at the PADS program. They help out with service and hearing dogs for people who live in Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan. Any information would be GREATLY Appreciated!!

....yeah I think that is the same one. This is the website

http://pads.ca/is-an-assistance-dog-right-for-you/#sthash.u9CG6Q0T.dpbs

I m trying to get ahold of them. I am profoundly deaf, and in the process of getting a TTY or UniPhone so that I can call them. But every time my parents try to call them for me, the phone is busy. I tried to email, but no one is answering that either...

So frustrating sometimes!

I am going to be in College for the next 3 years, so I figure that even if it does take that long, that would still be good. Good to get the ball rolling now right?

....yeah I think that is the same one. This is the website

http://pads.ca/is-an-assistance-dog-right-for-you/#sthash.u9CG6Q0T.dpbs

I m trying to get ahold of them. I am profoundly deaf, and in the process of getting a TTY or UniPhone so that I can call them. But every time my parents try to call them for me, the phone is busy. I tried to email, but no one is answering that either...

So frustrating sometimes!

I am going to be in College for the next 3 years, so I figure that even if it does take that long, that would still be good. Good to get the ball rolling now right?

They'll want to get in contact with you once you get the ball rolling , most places want to give the person an interview to made sure they're a good candidate
for the dog and will take good care of him/her . There is a link for an application on the link you posted , I posted it below for you. You need to download it .
http://pads.ca/application-process/#sthash.Ke74P9T0.dpbs

Back