Hearing, and so lost!

MissMaggieBeth

Reaction score
Hi, guys! I guess what I really am looking for is an "Idiot's Guide to Deaf Communication". No, not just ASL, I'm not that hearing person. Face to face, I've got this. But, I live in Las Vegas, and my darling great-aunt lives in Maryland, and happens to be deaf. Somewhere around my grandmother's house is an ancient TTY, and I'm sure I can figure that out if I ever locate it, but with everything technology can do there must be an easier way. My Droid 4 swears it's TTY compatible, which I've learned does not mean that my cell phone can readily communicate with my aunt's TTY, although it totally should. Somehow, without a whole second purse filled with handy gizmos, there must be a way to transmit directly from 4G cell phone to little old TTY without a relay service. Is the universe really so behind the times??

Sorry to be so ignorant, really. I've just never had to be the communicator in the family. Aunt Patsy is probably my very favorite aunt, but I've never needed to contact her rapidly before, snail mail was always adequate. Grandma's getting older, etc. So I'm trying to play catch up, and am simply appalled that I actually need to use at least one antiquated piece of equipment for any option I try. Like, is there a web service I can use to instant message her TTY? I can call Egypt with Vonage, Skype, googlePhone, and everything else online, but I can't contact a TTY? Y'all have probably been fuming about this for ages. Sorry to only be catching on now! I try to not be the stupid hearing person, we all know there are more than enough of those!!

Thanks for any feedback, everyone!!

Maggie

Okay, the "TTY-compatible" cellular phone means that you plug your cellular phone to TTY device and call your great-aunt with TTY.

I don't know if there is TTY app exist.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

There's no tty app (yet).
There used to be a computer program called "soft tty" but it was a nightmare and needs an old style modem (telephone, not cable).

If your aunt has a cell/mobile then it's easy. If she has a computer with internet then I'm works great.

Does she ONLY have a TTY ? No video phone, no computer, no cell?

That's what I thought - I also thought TTY already went the same way Dinsouar went.

Does your great aunt use TTY? If so, then you can call her thru Relay. You don't need any special equipment for that at your end.

I know that you prefer to contact her without Relay but that might be the easiest way to do it from a cell phone.

If she uses a video phone, you can also call her thru a Video Relay Service (VRS). Again, you don't need special equipment for that.

If she has a cell phone, you can also text each other.

If you both have the right internet connections and computers, you can sign to each other using video.

Do you know what her technology comfort level is? How old is she?

Of course, we seem to be assuming that she signs. Does she? If not, then the video options won't be useful to you.

That's what I thought - I also thought TTY already went the same way Dinsouar went.

Nope - there are lots of people who still use TTY including oral deaf (who don't sign), and people who live in areas without VRS ... which includes all of Canada!!

While VRS is common for signing hoh/deaf in the USA, it's not common anywhere else, so we still use TTY for alot of things (where text & email aren't options - like banking, ordering pizza, calling a business etc).

I use IP and IM relay for a lot of things ... but if someone wants to call me, I still need the TTY to take their call (we don't have VRS numbers etc in Canada).

Some people still need TTY if they don't have internet service available in their area, or they can't afford it.

Yes, I do know some deaf people in that situation.

Also, if they are non-signing deaf people, VRS is no good to them.

Nope - there are lots of people who still use TTY including oral deaf (who don't sign), and people who live in areas without VRS ... which includes all of Canada!!

While VRS is common for signing hoh/deaf in the USA, it's not common anywhere else, so we still use TTY for alot of things (where text & email aren't options - like banking, ordering pizza, calling a business etc).

I use IP and IM relay for a lot of things ... but if someone wants to call me, I still need the TTY to take their call (we don't have VRS numbers etc in Canada).
You beat me to it! :giggle:

You beat me to it! :giggle:

;) You can tell I'm not typing on the blackberry ;)

Heck, up in Canada IP and IM relay are still "new" (less than 2years old).
And yes, that was very frustrating for us knowing that a few hours south there was IP, IM, VRS etc.

;) You can tell I'm not typing on the blackberry ;)

Heck, up in Canada IP and IM relay are still "new" (less than 2years old).
And yes, that was very frustrating for us knowing that a few hours south there was IP, IM, VRS etc.
Sadly, there is a great gulf fixed....

If you are that fond of her, why now send her a prepaid smartphone and you can text each other?

Back