hearing aids or cochlear implants for my 5 year old please advise

Cloggy,

Do you know or have you ever met anyone, other than those who oppose cochlear implants, who say that "It's great for EVERYONE, and EVERYONE eligible should get one!"? I know you have never said it nor I.
Nope..
Why in the world would someone who is opposed to cochlear implants, and they are few and far between, say that a Ci is great for everyone?
...nooo,
It's about someone who is opposed to cochlear implants, and they are not so few and far between, assume that someone in favor of CI automatically implies that a Ci is great for everyone?

Complicated... I guess..

Nope.....nooo,
It's about someone who is opposed to cochlear implants, and they are not so few and far between, assume that someone in favor of CI automatically implies that a Ci is great for everyone?

Complicated... I guess..

I knew you would get it. Its not complicated at all just that those opposed to cis are just too biased and too caught up in spreading lies, myths and misinformation. :)
Rick

Nope.....nooo,

Complicated... I guess..

Go back and reread rick48's post that you are unsuccessfully trying to explain. That is exactly what he said.

I knew you would get it. Its not complicated at all just that those opposed to cis are just too biased and too caught up in spreading lies, myths and misinformation. :)
Rick

It doesn't have anything to do with bias. Your words are cut and pasted below:

Do you know or have you ever met anyone, other than those who oppose cochlear implants, who say that "It's great for EVERYONE, and EVERYONE eligable should get one!"? I know you have never said it nor I.

The bolded section clearly states that those who oppose CI say that it is great for everyone....

"Anyone other than" is specifically saying that those who oppose say....

But then, it doesn;t surpirse me that cloggy read what he wanted to read, and you have read what you thought you said, but didn't. Its very typical.

But this is a discussion about a parent's desire for knowledge in regard to their 5 year old child. Let's stick to the topic, shall we, and leave your semantical errors behind.

I would wait till all else fails before going the CI route. I just had a CI and I am in my 40s and it was a painful trip and relearning sounds on that side of my head. Getting a hole drilled in my head was no cakewalk !!! Not to mention being able to communicate to the audie what I hear and don't hear with the CI for adjustments. I would not put my child through that till all else fails.

using sign language and written language as much as possible. When she turns 18, she can decide if she want't the CI or not and the technology will have improved by then. ( asking a 5 year old such important questions don't go well in my book ).
GOOD POST!!!
Again, if your daughter has other circumstances (ie tintintuas, or recruitment) it might be a good option.
And she doesn't have to wait til she's 18......she could decide if she wants CI, when she's a little older then she is now.
I really think that when its ambigious, people need to be careful that they aren't being influenced by "It's the latest hearing gadget. Therefore it must be the best" thinking that you can encounter. CIs ARE good.......but it doesn't mean that they are good for EVERYONE. Everyone responds differently to CI/hearing aids/other various and sundry hearing devices.

LadySekhmet and jillo, thanks for your input about loss of resiual hearing, i didn't know that. I was implanted yesterday (it went very well and got all electrodes in)! so will wait awhile and see if i could put my hearing aid on!

LadySekhmet and jillo, thanks for your input about loss of resiual hearing, i didn't know that. I was implanted yesterday (it went very well and got all electrodes in)! so will wait awhile and see if i could put my hearing aid on!

YW. Congrats on your implant, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have saved some residual hearing.

Well my tinitus did come back on my CI side. This time it is a low tone instead of a high tone lol.. Audie tweaked my CI the other day so it is slowly getting better. It is just annoying when she tinkers with my CI and my brain is so close to it lol

I came by to check on the update from Richard...

Emily CI OR HAs

Ok where to start :hmm:,

Since my last post Emily has been going for relevant testing and various scans to see if she would definately benefit from the ci.
a meeting last week with various professionals resulted in all 4 of them deciding it is the best way forward for her.

although im still against it and dont really want her to get the implants i have decided to put my feelings aside and do what will benefit or be best for her in the long run her mum was in two minds and said she would stick with my decission so to put it all in my court and would only go against me if i was in the wrong.

they say she is already above the age they would normally implant and she has just turned 6 and she only qualifies for 1 ear to be implanted on the NHS too but they decided she may still get full benefit from it and hear withing the normal hearing range for speech :D.

her hearing does seem to of deteriarated letely and i desperately didnt want for her to loose her residual hearing and also her deaf roots.

i have been told she will be able to be working in class and still here whats going on from the teacher where as at the moment she relys on lip reading and signs more so it should make a big impact on her learning because she is a keen learner and reall likes to try.

i hope this is the best way forward for her and i know its going to be a long and rough process to get her used to using the ci properly but im confident she will pick it up quickly and make the most of them aswell and in time i hope she will be able to get her other ear implanted and make the level of hearing she gets even more even if i have to go private.

i look forward to reading any comments or words of wisdom you can offer and i thank you all for your time and previous or future posts

Richard :wave:

HI Richard,

Difficult decison... I hope you make the right one for your daughter's best interests. If you choose the CI path, it won't change her for who she is, she still can sign, she can still play with other kids as normal, she's still Emily.

Little about me, Since I was implanted a little more than 4 months ago, I was switched on on 20th August. At my 3 month review, my listening and lipreading (CUNY Test) went up to 77% from 40%, I am Pretty much now hearing the speech range (30/35 db), even the Audi and consultants said that my speech won't improve much... well it had and i am able to lower my voice since i can hear it! So far it had been belwildering but amazing journey.
I haven't lost my resuidal hearing.

Good luck with what you decide.

Since my last post Emily has been going for relevant testing and various scans to see if she would definately benefit from the ci.
a meeting last week with various professionals resulted in all 4 of them deciding it is the best way forward for her.

although im still against it and dont really want her to get the implants i have decided to put my feelings aside and do what will benefit or be best for her in the long run her mum was in two minds and said she would stick with my decission so to put it all in my court and would only go against me if i was in the wrong.

they say she is already above the age they would normally implant and she has just turned 6 and she only qualifies for 1 ear to be implanted on the NHS too but they decided she may still get full benefit from it and hear withing the normal hearing range for speech :D.

her hearing does seem to of deteriarated letely and i desperately didnt want for her to loose her residual hearing and also her deaf roots.

i have been told she will be able to be working in class and still here whats going on from the teacher where as at the moment she relys on lip reading and signs more so it should make a big impact on her learning because she is a keen learner and reall likes to try.

i hope this is the best way forward for her and i know its going to be a long and rough process to get her used to using the ci properly but im confident she will pick it up quickly and make the most of them aswell and in time i hope she will be able to get her other ear implanted and make the level of hearing she gets even more even if i have to go private.

i look forward to reading any comments or words of wisdom you can offer and i thank you all for your time and previous or future posts

My daughter is 5 and just got implanted. If you have questions, you can PM me.

I would prefer hearing aids. My son wearing hearing aids but he doesn't like them and take it off after an hour. He's 2 half. I am deaf too. I don't care if he want hearing aids or not. He don't know how to talk oral. I don't too. We both signing all the way and very understand eachother and other people who know signs too. We can learn reading, english, math, anything without hear the sound or without talk oral. We use our hands only. But i would want my son to go to speech, to learn how to talk oral with hearing aids on. If he can't hear very good or can't understand the letter, then things can drops and back to using ASL only.

Myself, i don't have good english at all, way sucks grammar. Which I don't know why but most of them said because I am deaf, can't hear anything. Some of them said because I wasn't motive to learn how to writing. Or maybe my mind is just slow to learn. But other deaf people can writing very good english, perfect english or anything. Depends on who.

I am happy and proud to be full deaf. :)

I would prefer hearing aids. My son wearing hearing aids but he doesn't like them and take it off after an hour. He's 2 half. I am deaf too. I don't care if he want hearing aids or not. He don't know how to talk oral. I don't too. We both signing all the way and very understand eachother and other people who know signs too. We can learn reading, english, math, anything without hear the sound or without talk oral. We use our hands only. But i would want my son to go to speech, to learn how to talk oral with hearing aids on. If he can't hear very good or can't understand the letter, then things can drops and back to using ASL only.

Myself, i don't have good english at all, way sucks grammar. Which I don't know why but most of them said because I am deaf, can't hear anything. Some of them said because I wasn't motive to learn how to writing. Or maybe my mind is just slow to learn. But other deaf people can writing very good english, perfect english or anything. Depends on who.

And also, some of them trying to pushy my mom that I should get CI. My mom keep said no. They keep asking my mom again and again. Trying to get her to say yes get me a CI but my mom still said NO! Finally they leave us alone. I am really happy to not get CI on me. And now I have deaf son, they asked me if I want him to have a CI. I told them NO WAY! They was like ok. Then later, other person works at hearing aids, asked me if i want son to have CI..I said no way, not need CI. Sometimes those people who work at ci/hearing aids is so annoying. Some of them are friendly and respectful after my word say "no".

Good luck!

i'd like to make a gentle comment if i may.

just because someone chooses a ci for themselves or their loved one doesn't mean they don't accept or are ashamed of their deafness.

after all, ci's don't make an infant, child or adult hearing. they are still deaf with or without ci.

i'd like to make a gentle comment if i may.

just because someone chooses a ci for themselves or their loved one doesn't mean they don't accept or are ashamed of their deafness.

after all, ci's don't make an infant, child or adult hearing. they are still deaf with or without ci.

I know that. Just myself dont want CI. Because too much work, waste money, etc, I don't have time for that. And happy with ASL only without oral. I don't see any reason why me and my son need a CI..but other hearing parents might have good reason to give their kids CI..while I don't have good reason for give CI to my kids.

I know that. Just myself dont want CI. Because too much work, waste money, etc, I don't have time for that. And happy with ASL only without oral. I don't see any reason why me and my son need a CI..but other hearing parents might have good reason to give their kids CI..while I don't have good reason for give CI to my kids.

i understand and respect your decision 100%.

richard,

If you are considering the ci for your child and you have questions or are seeking information or support then please visit the ci circle it is populated by predominantly ci parents and no debates are allowed--just information and support!
Rick

I respect people who know they certainly do not want themselves or the kids to have a ci but it is entirely up to them and their decision! I respect if they do not want to learn to talk as they already have their own language and are perfectly happy. I have many friends who have hearing aids and are totally sign reliant, it does not bother me as it is their decision and some of them do not have the ability to learn to speech. it is easier for them to use sign and i think the world should fit in with deaf people and learn to sign as it is becoming more common to have moore deaf people. Some hearing people nowadays are strongly against deaf people as they think they are stupid, when in reality some hearing people are stupid because they cannot bring themselves to actually learn how to communicate with deaf people either through sign language, deaf awareness and just simply talking normally and not OTP as some hearies do.

If you need any advise on which route to take with your 5 year old i recommend you contact your child's audiologist and maybe ask them if you can meet other kids with ci and hearing aids and see for yourself what it will be like

Back