hearing aid picture

JennyB: Well never thought I see the day VampireFreaks colour: Purple in BTE Hearing Aids!
Hope the new aids "assist" you.

My last aids were purple as well! They were actually translucent purple which I think made them cooler - but they were bigger and the FM boots were black. The purple FM boots are a bonus here!

My last aids were purple as well! They were actually translucent purple which I think made them cooler - but they were bigger and the FM boots were black. The purple FM boots are a bonus here!

Your matching coloured fm boots look really good too. So much better than my audio shoes with fm receivers attached, which make my boring beige, already large, HAs look enormous!

really the Naida's are bigger? your new ones look bigger in the picture. Could you post a pic of them side-by-side??
*EQL*

really the Naida's are bigger? your new ones look bigger in the picture. Could you post a pic of them side-by-side??
*EQL*

Length wise they are about the same with the FM, but I can take off the boots super easily - unlike the Naida - so that makes them shorter. They are also skinnier.

yeah and I had FM boots that are boring grey LOL
BTW, love the hearing aids and they're so pretty!

I'm about to get mine somewhere this week

These hearing aids look like mine except with a different name!!

Those are so cool, gives me some inspiration for mine. I still can't decide on colour choices.

I wish we could get coloured HAs in the UK instead of boring beige. Here they only issue coloured ones to kids!

I am fighting my hospital on the colour point at the moment, not so much because I want a nicer colour (even though I do) but that they issue beige hearing aids to people of every ethnic background and I just think that's so insensitive to say I know you are black but here's something that matches my skin colour.

They are actually required to offer you a choice "if available" and all the hospitals will write back to you if you complain telling you that they will give you a choice "where available" but the counter-argument is that if you always make sure to place 100% of your orders for beige and beige only, how will any other colour suddenly become available? If they accidentally pick up hearing aids in another colour from out of area they return them to the manufacturer to avoid them being placed in stock and therefore "available".

You aren't allowed to pay any upgrades for hearing aids, drives me potty, you can have the thing they give you or nothing at all. If it's not suitable, buy your own at 100% of the cost. You can't say can I pay you the additional money for the one that has features I really really need, it's take it or leave it. Almost all features are considered optional extras, they even deliberately deactivate features that hearing aids already have because they are outside the NHS remit, so even after they've paid for the hearing aid and it happens to come with certain wireless capability, they turn it off on purpose to stop you being able to use it, so that if that goes wrong you won't be back for a repair. It's "here's your hearing aid, it's set "right" for you, we checked it with REM that it's "right" (they seem to forget what exactly REM checks for, it checks the program matches the actual output not that the program matches the patient) come back in 4 years, if it seems too loud get used to it.

I've given up attempting to get a hearing aid which doesn't make a terrible noise in my ear for most of the day. They are now accusing me of making the noise up to get a "better" hearing aid (it won't be better, it will still be mid-range and beige, it will just be a Phonak mid-range beige health service model instead of a Siemens mid-range beige health service model) or have almost extended as far as that if I'm not making it up it must be tinnitus and I should avoid wearing my hearing aids if they "give me tinnitus".

Funny that ONLY the Siemens model gives me this "tinnitus" and that my husband and my audiologist have acutally heard this "tinnitus" come out of the hearing aid, but with her boss in the room the audi backpedalled on having heard the noise because she's a flake. I've worn lots of other hearing aids, I've been in Phonak private hearing aids for 3 weeks or so and no "tinnitus" - funny that! Only wish I could decide not to pay that portion of my insurance given that I am not getting anything back from it and others are, that's the annoyance, the pretense that they are providing everyone "who needs one" with a hearing aid, but never mind if it's any use, they've explicitly told me not to wear mine, but I will be included in the statistics as having been provided with one so everyone who needs a hearing aid has been provided with one for free. Thanks, thanks a lot. If they stopped issuing hearing aids so badly that 50% of owners keep them in a drawer then perhaps they could issue hearing aids that are of actual USE to half as many people. A hearing aid which is on your ear is more use than any hearing aid which you keep in a box, and the beige is one of the biggest reasons people don't actually wear them, colour is not a frill and a fancy, it's what gets those hearing aids out of the box and into the lugholes.

The coloured ones actually do not cost a penny extra even to the health service, they just don't want the bother of administration to order several colours, if you order 1,000 beige and issue everyone with beige then if they need a replacement you can quickly knock out a beige. And you can meet waiting list targets because if they ask for black and you only have beige you can still give them beige and say you have issued something. They don't even issue colours to kids in my area, they offer a choice of 3 colours of earmould instead - pink, blue or plain. Not for adults, though, we have to have clear even though they are being made in the same lab.

And that, my transatlantic pals, is why Brits still complain about "getting free hearing aids" because the hearing aid is chosen for you before you even show up for the test, everyone will be getting a Siemens Reflex (model is area-specific, some areas issue other models but usually ONLY that model), it's just a case of whether it's an L, an M, a DP or a DSP, they are often worse than useless, the most common complaint of the mild-moderate user is they hear better without their hearing aid. But we all have to pay into the pot so that hearing aids can be dished out to people who don't wear them and everyone can pretend that the NHS "gives everyone free hearing aids".

Oh, and they can swap them whenever they please, so even if you invested in a streamer or something and you were lucky enough to be able to get them to program it for you (usually costs a lot of money, you are required to buy the streamer through them at minimally 50% more than market rate to cover all future programming and you cannot get them programmed privately elsewhere) then if they stop doing business with that manufacturer they can take your Siemens aids back from you whenever they like and give you a pair of Resound and you have no say in that, never mind your investment, never mind if you got the Siemens perfect after years of trying, they give you something else when they feel like it.

Um... sorry that's slightly off topic!! :Oops:

Last edited:
Those are so cool, gives me some inspiration for mine. I still can't decide on colour choices.

I am fighting my hospital on the colour point at the moment, not so much because I want a nicer colour (even though I do) but that they issue beige hearing aids to people of every ethnic background and I just think that's so insensitive to say I know you are black but here's something that matches my skin colour.

They are actually required to offer you a choice "if available" and all the hospitals will write back to you if you complain telling you that they will give you a choice "where available" but the counter-argument is that if you always make sure to place 100% of your orders for beige and beige only, how will any other colour suddenly become available? If they accidentally pick up hearing aids in another colour from out of area they return them to the manufacturer to avoid them being placed in stock and therefore "available".

You aren't allowed to pay any upgrades for hearing aids, drives me potty, you can have the thing they give you or nothing at all. If it's not suitable, buy your own at 100% of the cost. You can't say can I pay you the additional money for the one that has features I really really need, it's take it or leave it. Almost all features are considered optional extras, they even deliberately deactivate features that hearing aids already have because they are outside the NHS remit, so even after they've paid for the hearing aid and it happens to come with certain wireless capability, they turn it off on purpose to stop you being able to use it, so that if that goes wrong you won't be back for a repair. It's "here's your hearing aid, it's set "right" for you, we checked it with REM that it's "right" (they seem to forget what exactly REM checks for, it checks the program matches the actual output not that the program matches the patient) come back in 4 years, if it seems too loud get used to it.

I've given up attempting to get a hearing aid which doesn't make a terrible noise in my ear for most of the day. They are now accusing me of making the noise up to get a "better" hearing aid (it won't be better, it will still be mid-range and beige, it will just be a Phonak mid-range beige health service model instead of a Siemens mid-range beige health service model) or have almost extended as far as that if I'm not making it up it must be tinnitus and I should avoid wearing my hearing aids if they "give me tinnitus".

Funny that ONLY the Siemens model gives me this "tinnitus" and that my husband and my audiologist have acutally heard this "tinnitus" come out of the hearing aid, but with her boss in the room the audi backpedalled on having heard the noise because she's a flake. I've worn lots of other hearing aids, I've been in Phonak private hearing aids for 3 weeks or so and no "tinnitus" - funny that! Only wish I could decide not to pay that portion of my insurance given that I am not getting anything back from it and others are, that's the annoyance, the pretense that they are providing everyone "who needs one" with a hearing aid, but never mind if it's any use, they've explicitly told me not to wear mine, but I will be included in the statistics as having been provided with one so everyone who needs a hearing aid has been provided with one for free. Thanks, thanks a lot. If they stopped issuing hearing aids so badly that 50% of owners keep them in a drawer then perhaps they could issue hearing aids that are of actual USE to half as many people. A hearing aid which is on your ear is more use than any hearing aid which you keep in a box, and the beige is one of the biggest reasons people don't actually wear them, colour is not a frill and a fancy, it's what gets those hearing aids out of the box and into the lugholes.

The coloured ones actually do not cost a penny extra even to the health service, they just don't want the bother of administration to order several colours, if you order 1,000 beige and issue everyone with beige then if they need a replacement you can quickly knock out a beige. And you can meet waiting list targets because if they ask for black and you only have beige you can still give them beige and say you have issued something. They don't even issue colours to kids in my area, they offer a choice of 3 colours of earmould instead - pink, blue or plain. Not for adults, though, we have to have clear even though they are being made in the same lab.

And that, my transatlantic pals, is why Brits still complain about "getting free hearing aids" because the hearing aid is chosen for you before you even show up for the test, everyone will be getting a Siemens Reflex, it's just a case of whether it's an L, an M, a DP or a DSP, they are often worse than useless, the most common complaint of the mild-moderate user is they hear better without their hearing aid. But we all have to pay into the pot so that hearing aids can be dished out to people who don't wear them and everyone can pretend that the NHS "gives everyone free hearing aids".

Oh, and they can swap them whenever they please, so even if you invested in a streamer or something and you were lucky enough to be able to get them to program it for you (usually costs a lot of money, you are required to buy the streamer through them at minimally 50% more than market rate to cover all future programming and you cannot get them programmed privately elsewhere) then if they stop doing business with that manufacturer they can take your Siemens aids back from you whenever they like and give you a pair of Resound and you have no say in that, never mind your investment, never mind if you got the Siemens perfect after years of trying, they give you something else when they feel like it.

Um... sorry that's slightly off topic!! :Oops:

Some GOOD points there RoseRodent, most of it is true. They only use one brand of hearing aid as well. I had an unaided hearing test before they programmed my HA for me.

My audie's office said they had a huge increase in the amount of people requesting coloured HAs since the colour display was put up !!
If they promoted them I think that the percentage of people only requesting beige would be limited to those with old age loss who think a HA makes them look "old"

If they promoted them I think that the percentage of people only requesting beige would be limited to those with old age loss who think a HA makes them look "old"

Not sure about that because beige is the colour that people think makes them look old! Most older folks buying their own here seem to take silver to match hair rather than to "match" (ha ha) skin. Is anyone that colour who doesn't have serious liver disease?

Hi Jenny

Your hearing aids have a great look, not looking like hearing aids. Did you ask to design it according to your choice?

yup. I wanted purple aids. Bought the tubing myself, decided on the pink molds myself, and added the butterfly charms and flower stickers on my own.

Does one "hear better" with purple hearing aid/tubing VS Beige?
Vampire Freaks.Com appreciate the free advertising.
As for colour my Implant is silver as are the "rechargeable batteries". Unaware if colour affects "hearing">

Implanted- Sunnybrook- Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Does one "hear better" with purple hearing aid/tubing VS Beige?

If a beige hearing aid makes you keep it in the box and a purple one makes you wear it on your ear then yes. This is often a problem, people don't want to wear ugly hearing aids, specially children and teens. Doesn't matter what you spend on a hearing aid for your kids if they pull them the second you leave them at the school gate.

I just want to purchase hearing aid and I think that this is very beautiful and pretty and I love both colors pink and blue it's so nice. I will definitively go to purchase it. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! I never thought I'd say hearing aids are pretty but..they're pretty XD

I love the colour Jenny, I wish we could get coloured HAs in the UK instead of boring beige. Here they only issue coloured ones to kids!
I don't think they're beige, they're kind of like..a greyish-beige lol, they're a weird color :P
Mine are dark brown XD

As a British person, I can too verify that the NHS don't really give out coloured HA's unless the hearing aid specifically comes in colour. I have a Spirit 3 and it comes in beige/grey. I was amused when they gave me a grey one, it was totally better than the beige one, which I've had all these years. Was nice to have a change. I don't know why the NHS lets Cochlear Implant Patients choose their processor colours but not the hearing aid colours.
:hmm:
I think the NHS just does the basic ones to match peoples hair colour..although I don't see how beige is the same as blonde LOL
But most people don't want others to see their hearing aids so hide them with their hair which is probably why they only do certain colours but if they gave us nicer ones we might actually be comfortable with people seeing them =P

Back