Hearing aid costs v. CI

Kenai

Reaction score
I go this week to have surgery on my right ear and then the following week on the left. The doctor found, with the help of an MRI and CT, large amounts of blood, blood clots, and infection in the auditory canals and behind the inner ear on both sides. He thinks there was trauma, but there hasn't. My hearing tests, all 5 they've given me at different centers, are a joke and all come back profound.

My insurance won't cover the costs of hearing aids, or so they've said...I have to appeal that decision. How expensive are they? From what I've read, I think I want to go the CI route because sounds are more realistic and not blasted into the ear. Do most insurances cover CI surgery? I have to call, but don't want to be shocked if I talk to them and they tell me tough sh*t.

If anyone can help with price ranges, I'll be extremely grateful.

Kenai

Some health insurance won't cover HA. As for CI yes...depend on what health insurance you have. It is would be best to call your insurance and ask those questions.

As for HA I am not sure the price.

For CI, way expensive but far better than HA. :) It would run from 40 to 70K. Depend on the location and doctors.
I go this week to have surgery on my right ear and then the following week on the left. The doctor found, with the help of an MRI and CT, large amounts of blood, blood clots, and infection in the auditory canals and behind the inner ear on both sides. He thinks there was trauma, but there hasn't. My hearing tests, all 5 they've given me at different centers, are a joke and all come back profound.

My insurance won't cover the costs of hearing aids, or so they've said...I have to appeal that decision. How expensive are they? From what I've read, I think I want to go the CI route because sounds are more realistic and not blasted into the ear. Do most insurances cover CI surgery? I have to call, but don't want to be shocked if I talk to them and they tell me tough sh*t.

Kenai

When I had CI surgery, they cover majority of everything, but you have to get firm with the insurance to let them know that you need this surgery. Be aware that you still have to pay some of the cost.

Email to one of the CI company and they will give step by step on what to do. We emailed cochlear.com and they helped us.

How messed up is it that insurance companies won't cover HA, but will cover CI??? I have to call tomorrow to find out everything from them.

Thanks for the help :) :)

SOME? Try MOST!!!!!!!!!!!

nope.. most health insurances accept hearing evaluation tests, but HA? not all of them accept the costs of HAs.

Now, CA and PA will propose the bill to demand insurances to cover the costs of HA. (it is word of mouth, no evidence yet).

Not all of health insurances will cover the 100% of CI surgery costs. I have a client planning to get CI next month and was told to pay 20% upfront prior to surgery date. Speaking of $6,000.

absurd

CI costs alot of money and Medicaid pays for it? Hearing aids are much cheaper! Duh! I guess the company or doctors want us to be hearing like them .:bowdown:

CI costs alot of money and Medicaid pays for it? Hearing aids are much cheaper! Duh! I guess the company or doctors want us to be hearing like them .:bowdown:

I don't know about Medicare, but Medicaid paid for both of my CIs. CI coverage varies from one insurance carrier to another. Your best bet is to check with your particular insurance carrier for more information about what exactly is covered in your policy.

In some states, Medicaid will *not* pay for hearing aids. Again, this varies on a state by state basis.

The CI doesn't give you normal hearing and it doesn't make you into a hearing person so your statement about doctors wanting us to be hearing like them is a bit misguided.

Otherwise I tend to agree that it's sad they will not cover hearing aids.

Kenai

If you just want some cost analysis...

Assume you have health insurance coverage of some sort and it is average.

HA
1) Generally won't cover it.
2) Typical HA costs are anywhere from $1000 (analog) to $2000 (digitals).
3) Can last a a decade or so if you are good with them.
4) No upgrades. Just get a new one everytime.

CI
1) Cost of CI implant plus device and surgery is $40,000 to $100,000. Mine was about $50,000
2) Out of pocket costs varies from nothing (which is not often) to several thousands of dollars. For me it was just under $2000, cheap in the scheme of things.
3) Upgrades can run at least $3000+ a pop. This is when you are trading in your current version (external device not internal implant) for the latest. The life a CI (external device) is probably up to 10 years taking real good care it. Without a tradein one is looking at $6000 or more. Not sure how health insurance handles this but it may cover a bit of it or not. I have had my CI for over a 1 1/2 yr and I really not looked at that issue yet.

All in all, it is much cheaper to stick with a HA costwise. However, there is a big difference in the quality of hearing with a HA vs a CI. Hands down from one who has both experiences, there is no comparison with what a CI can do for you. One can't put a price tag on that...

Last edited:
I'm extremely grateful that Medicare and Medicaid covered my surgery, the internal CI device, and the external CI device, all hospital and CI-related expenses. :bowdown:

How messed up is it that insurance companies won't cover HA, but will cover CI??? I have to call tomorrow to find out everything from them.

Thanks for the help :) :)

From my understanding INs. companies cover the intiatial surgery and equiptment for a CI. IT is a sugery you know, thus a medical procedure, you do of course need pre approval. Then when upgrades are available you are basically on your own and have to pay for those out of your own pocket much like you would your HA's. To me the actual ablity to understand people make the CI well worth the upgrade prices. Which are comparable to new HA's. (digitals)

As for insurance coving HA's. My insurance through my work (major medical center) has added HA coverage through the dental/vision plan. BIG WHOOP. this plan is 1000$ / yr/ family to cover glasses and dental work, now you can also get HA's? hehehe. even if they add 500 to the plan which I think I heard they would it's still a laugh since 1 ha costs anywhere from just under $1000 to top of the line 4 or 5000. Oh well......

All in all, it is much cheaper to stick with a HA costwise. However, there is a big difference in the quality of hearing with a HA vs a CI. Hands down from one who has both experiences, there is no comparison with what a CI can do for you. One can't put a price tag on that...

:gpost: I agree 100% :)

I'm extremely grateful that Medicare and Medicaid covered my surgery, the internal CI device, and the external CI device, all hospital and CI-related expenses. :bowdown:

Me too! :) Before I received my first CI, I was worried sick that Medicaid wouldn't cover the cost of surgery, mappings, etc. They even paid for my second CI (due to my total blindness). Now the only thing I need to work on is battery reimbursement. :)

Me too! :) Before I received my first CI, I was worried sick that Medicaid wouldn't cover the cost of surgery, mappings, etc. They even paid for my second CI (due to my total blindness). Now the only thing I need to work on is battery reimbursement. :)

Awesome!!! :)

i read somewhere.. that insurance cannot say "no" for the CI surgery. they have to cover it.. because its the law. not sure where.. but i read it somewhere.

I argued with my insurance company and there is a supplemental plan that I'm not/wasn't a part of but am now a part of. They will cover 25% of the HA for now and the cochlear implant at 90%+. I have surgery in the morning and am somewhat worried, but not really. My signing skills suck, but are getting better :) :)

I argued with my insurance company and there is a supplemental plan that I'm not/wasn't a part of but am now a part of. They will cover 25% of the HA for now and the cochlear implant at 90%+. I have surgery in the morning and am somewhat worried, but not really. My signing skills suck, but are getting better :) :)

Best wishes with your surgery! :) Let us know how it goes.

Back