Hearing adopting deaf? Your opinions please

jgerlach

Reaction score
My wife and I are soon to be licensed foster/adoptive parents. We have two boys 7, and 11. Today I was browsing the children up for adoption. This little girl caught my eye. So I am asking for opinions. Should a hearing family adopt a deaf child? All of the state children are hard to place. It is my assumption that this child will live in the foster care system until she is 18. The likely hood that she would get adopted is low. How would a deaf child feel moving to a hearing home? All of us have been learning ASL for the past three months. mabey this is why. I am eager to hear all opionions! Any suggestions comments are welcome.

Thanks for your time.
God Bless!

Jerry

It is my assumption that this child will live in the foster care system until she is 18. The likely hood that she would get adopted is low. How would a deaf child feel moving to a hearing home? All of us have been learning ASL for the past three months. mabey this is why. I am eager to hear all opionions! Any suggestions comments are welcome.
Hi Jerry!
Actually many if not most dhh foster kids live at the residental school for the Deaf, b/c placing them in home situtions is so hard.
Are you near Gov. Baxter (Falmouth Maine)? I know that the New England rural states tend to suck for mainstream ed for kids with classic disabilites. It's usually better to send them to the state school for the Deaf.
That is awesome that you're interested in adopting......but it does take a long long time to be fluent in ASL....just thought I'd warn you!

Yes, you can. But you both must have sign language for this girl to be able to communicate with her. If you can give her all the love and be good parents to her. You are very welcome to adopted her. Please take her home and do the best for her. :applause:

yes I am near Gov. Baxter School. I have actually contacted them for volunteering. This is one way to help become fluent. My entire family is learning ASL so hopefully that will help. Whats hard is my spelling is horrible. I never did very well in school. There is no ASL spell checker. LOL.

They(GBSD) offer free ASL classes for family members of students. I am desperate to meet a deaf person that could and would be willing to help.

Please keep the advise comming. And thanks a bunch.

jgerlach said:
My wife and I are soon to be licensed foster/adoptive parents. We have two boys 7, and 11. Today I was browsing the children up for adoption. This little girl caught my eye. So I am asking for opinions. Should a hearing family adopt a deaf child? All of the state children are hard to place. It is my assumption that this child will live in the foster care system until she is 18. The likely hood that she would get adopted is low. How would a deaf child feel moving to a hearing home? All of us have been learning ASL for the past three months. mabey this is why. I am eager to hear all opionions! Any suggestions comments are welcome.

Thanks for your time.
God Bless!

Jerry
Especially when another child is coming into the family, communication is the main thing.
So my questions to you are:
How old is she?
Would you be able to communicate with you? (And vice versa!)

She is 6. At this point I do not think we are fluent enough to comunicate effectively. It would be a good 6 months before she would be placed. I guess if it were to work out we would step up our ASL learning. She is fluent with ASL.

jgerlach said:
She is 6. At this point I do not think we are fluent enough to comunicate effectively. It would be a good 6 months before she would be placed. I guess if it were to work out we would step up our ASL learning. She is fluent with ASL.
Adoption is allready a big impact on the rest of the family. Adopting a deaf girl will be an even bigger impact.

How is this set up? DO you have some time together before you make a decision? Because that would be important.
Regarding ASL, having someone around that is fluent will speed up your level of ASL as well.

Make sure the rest of the family is in on the decision!

As a Hearie with a Deaf child I think it's fine. Just realize what you are getting into. It takes years to be fluent in ASL but her living there would speed things along a lot. Please do make sure she is exposed to the Deaf community. I feel it is wrong to ever rob a child of that. Good luck.

I would if I was hearing. I am not hearing but there is one members here in AD who is hearing and she and her hubby adopt a deaf son. They are very happy and they even change the son name that the boy choose to have that name. I cant remmy who that person was and I think it would be good idea to contact that person. If anyone here in AD remmy who that person was. Good luck :D

Hi,

I dont see anything wrong adopting deaf child or fostering deaf child.. if your heart set to that deaf girl or boy.. Go for it..
go to CODA or support group also
and you wanted to learn sign languages.. there are alot places have classes that you can go.. and Dvds too.. and websites too even Books!..
here the link.. they are basic and beginner signs.. its easy! :)

ASL browser

wish you the best!! :hug:

Hello there!!!! Pomeranian, you have a good memory!!!! Yes, it was my husband and I who adopted a deaf boy. He is 9 years old now, and he did want his named changed.

We had fostered him for 4 years before we adopted him. I think what you're doing Jgerlach is great!!!! Like everyone said, being fluent in ASL is very important. When we first fostered our son, he didn't know a stitch of sign language. We took him, and started working with him. Slowly he had been learning and learning. The teachers at his school were so impressed with his learning progress. He needed a family with structure, love, care and fluent in ASL. You're going to do great JGerlach, and I wish you and your wife the best of luck!!! :hug: :hug:

jgerlach said:

Thanks for your time.
God Bless!

Jerry

sure, why not? there is nothing wrong for hearing couple to adopt deaf child...as long as there is communication, involved in her life, and learn sign language...I would say go for it..:D

Go for it! If you and your family feel they're capable of taking this girl in then do it. She'll teach you heaps and vice versa. Good luck :)

If your heart is into giving that child every opportunity in life to succeed I wish you nothing but the best. Hearing parents can raise incredibly successful deaf children. It basically boils down to a commitment to your child's best interests. The ability to communicate is essential for raising a deaf child but it sounds as if you are already well on your way. I commend you for your desire to provide this child with a caring family.

Back