Hearies view on a CI kid... its a bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever, fuzzy. See you on the locked ward one of these days...me in the white coat and you in the straight jacket.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

I think you are amazing Mom and amazing person Jackie.

Don't bother yourself here. Nobody who really should is gonna pay attention to what you have to say -they only are interested in telling you what you "should" do.
I don't know how old are you children, but I do remember you mentioning about your daughter's first prom, so I guess they are teenagers.
I think this is long enough for you to know what kind of damn ASL syntax your son is using, hmmm.....?

Thank you for your posts Jackie, I hope these will encourage other parents here who are considering to go your route :)

Fuzzy

There are only two kinds of ASL syntax--right or wrong. And unless you learn ASL from a native signer, chances are your signing has quite a bit of English syntax. In that case, the ASL syntax would be wrong. As jackie has learned what sign she knows as an English speaking adult, chances are she uses a more pSE syntax, and wouldhave difficulty understanding the correctness of a true ASL syntax. And, I'm sure jackie would agree with me on this one.

ASL from native signer

I learned ASL from native signer. And
I still struggle to keep English out of my
signs. I am glad Deaf people are so
patient with me. I understand the syntax,
use of facial expression, hand shapes, etc,
but when I am focusing on reception and
expression and not nodding no when I mean
yes (like hearing people do) and add to it
that I am dsylexic and sometimes I will sign
the opposite of what I mean, well it is
understandable that I often see Deaf people
trying not to laugh when I sign. Its ok
though. I will keep trying:fingersx:!

There are only two kinds of ASL syntax--right or wrong.

No, really? holy cow!

As jackie has learned what sign she knows as an English speaking adult, chances are she uses a more pSE syntax, and wouldhave difficulty understanding the correctness of a true ASL syntax. And, I'm sure jackie would agree with me on this one.

What do you know about Jackie to act so "know it all?" ? You think she doesn't know about ASL syntax? Whether she would agree with you or not, is irrevelant. You missed the point, Sherlock.

Fuzzy

WOW...

SO many posts...

and so many of them in serious denial about CI...

Some don't want children to have it because they never had it themself,
Some need to get confirmation from the Deaf world that the choice NOT to implant the child was a good one,
Some don't like it because of being scared for any operation,
Some just need to confirm to themself over and over again that there are only bad sounds....

Time to face reality.!!
When you're deaf, you are handicapped. (you're missing a sense..)
A stage in the process of acceptance is denial. ("life is better without hearing..)
Living with deafness does not exclude wanting to hear..

An you what's so great about all the CI-nonsense that is produced by the anti-CI gang lately:

I read the crap you are writing, look at my deaf daughter and I'm grinning from face to face..
You suckers are so wrong !!

WOW...

SO many posts...

Some need to get confirmation from the Deaf world that the choice NOT to implant the child was a good one,
Some just need to confirm to themself over and over again that there are only bad sounds....

Time to face reality.!!
A stage in the process of acceptance is denial. ("life is better without hearing..)

An you what's so great about all the CI-nonsense that is produced by the anti-CI gang lately:

I read the crap you are writing, look at my deaf daughter and I'm grinning from face to face..
If it wasn't so serious, it would be hilarious.

Glad to know that u are enjoying looking down on non-implanted people.

I learned ASL from native signer. And
I still struggle to keep English out of my
signs. I am glad Deaf people are so
patient with me. I understand the syntax,
use of facial expression, hand shapes, etc,
but when I am focusing on reception and
expression and not nodding no when I mean
yes (like hearing people do) and add to it
that I am dsylexic and sometimes I will sign
the opposite of what I mean, well it is
understandable that I often see Deaf people
trying not to laugh when I sign. Its ok
though. I will keep trying:fingersx:!

Yep, keep trying. It is difficult to keep English out of your ASL syntax when you are a native English speaker.

No, really? holy cow!

What do you know about Jackie to act so "know it all?" ? You think she doesn't know about ASL syntax? Whether she would agree with you or not, is irrevelant. You missed the point, Sherlock.

Fuzzy

I know that jackie is an oral teacher of the deaf and is a late learning signer who has had a couple of quarters of sign language. Taht's all I need to know to make an assessment.

WOW...

SO many posts...

The only people I have seen in denialk lately are the ones that are so fond of saying, "But my kid is hearing now!"

Time to face reality.!!

Yep, time to face reality. Why do you keep resisting?

Deafness does not create a handicap. Hearing society's treatment of the deaf creates the handicap.

Nope, living with it doesn't. But living to one's full potyential and gaining full acceptance does.

Give it time cloggy. Your daughter hasn't even started school yet. There are many hurdles left.

I have been just reading this post and reflecting on both sides. I may agree or disagree, but I respect all the opinions. I can not respect the use of the word handicap. I maybe deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, or anything else. I am not handicap. That word to me, I don't know, just, there is no word to discribe how it makes me feel.

I was excited to find this web site because I wanted to connect with others who are deaf/HOH and CI users. I'm not sure how I feel now.

I go for my mapping tomorrow. I will enjoy my CIs and enjoy the technology that allows me to continue my choices.

I have been just reading this post and reflecting on both sides. I may agree or disagree, but I respect all the opinions. I can not respect the use of the word handicap. I maybe deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, or anything else. I am not handicap. That word to me, I don't know, just, there is no word to discribe how it makes me feel.

I was excited to find this web site because I wanted to connect with others who are deaf/HOH and CI users. I'm not sure how I feel now.

I go for my mapping tomorrow. I will enjoy my CIs and enjoy the technology that allows me to continue my choices.

Iam glad that the CIs are working for u and that u are happy with them. If u dont feel handicapped then u are not handicapped.

Some deaf and hoh people do feel that they are handicapped by their hearing loss while others dont.

Good luck with your mapping tmw!

Hi, first I would like to say welcome to AD, second, I know how you feel about the word handicap, I feel the same way as you do...

I wish you all the best on your mapping tmr, keep us post :)

Like you, I despise the use of the word "handicapped". It is an insulting and degrading word, not to mention patronizing and judegemental.

I hope you'll stick around. Just keep in mind that there are many late deafened (like yourself, I believe?) and many congenitally deaf who have been deaf since birth. Those experiences are the same in many ways, but in some very significant ways, they are also quite different. So, as a consequence, you will find varying opinions and points of view based on the individual's experience. Just try to keep that in mind, and allow for context, and everything makes sense.

I think its great that you sought out AllDeaf for support and friendship. It shows that you are open minded.

Good luck with your mapping. I hope you'll come back to share your personal experience with us.

Time to face reality.!!

Deaf people are not handicapped, I don't get a special handicapped pass to park with other people who are handicapped. If I hear you say that one more time, I'll give you a name that You would not even like. So be polite.

I don't need to hear to enjoy the real world. I'm fine with my life. Are you? If you are. Good! :)

I started lossing my hearing at age 3 from childhood illness. I was profoundly deaf in my left ear by high school. I am also profoundly deaf in my left ear since I was in my 20's. So I have dealt with this my entire life(38). i just had surgery in July for my implants.

The word handicap focuses on a limitation. I put it in the same category as the word "dumb." Its a term used to mock others. Even those who feel handicap, feel without hope. They may feel hopeless for this disability.

On the othe hand, this is how strong I feel about this word. In a newsletter last year, the director of my school system used the word handicap to discribe a relative in his family. He stated that that is why he became a special education teacher. Well I scheduled my mapping for tomorrow since I knew he was coming to my elementary school. I will not be in the same building with a person who uses this term. I will not smile or shake hands or show support for anyone who uses this term freely. I choose to show my support for myself and my students by focusing on ability not disability. I knew if I stayed at school, I would ask his about this "word". As a professional, I felt that it would take away from the great things my school is doing. I chose to be silent(very hard to do).

I started lossing my hearing at age 3 from childhood illness. I was profoundly deaf in my left ear by high school. I am also profoundly deaf in my left ear since I was in my 20's. So I have dealt with this my entire life(38). i just had surgery in July for my implants.

The word handicap focuses on a limitation. I put it in the same category as the word "dumb." Its a term used to mock others. Even those who feel handicap, feel without hope. They may feel hopeless for this disability.

On the othe hand, this is how strong I feel about this word. In a newsletter last year, the director of my school system used the word handicap to discribe a relative in his family. He stated that that is why he became a special education teacher. Well I scheduled my mapping for tomorrow since I knew he was coming to my elementary school. I will not be in the same building with a person who uses this term. I will not smile or shake hands or show support for anyone who uses this term freely. I choose to show my support for myself and my students by focusing on ability not disability. I knew if I stayed at school, I would ask his about this "word". As a professional, I felt that it would take away from the great things my school is doing. I chose to be silent(very hard to do).

Good for you! I know what you mean. It is very hard not to challenge language and attitude like that. But you have certainly shown who is the more ethical person.

According to you, she received no AVT. And since she is implanted and expected to assimilate intothe hearing world based on your choices, my question would be why you didn't provide her with follow up therapy?

My first thought upon reading this was "What on earth is she talking about?". So I went back and re-read it several times. Then I realized that you have no idea what AVT is at all! AVT, or Auditory-Verbal Therapy is but one option available to those who choose a Spoken Language Approach to teaching children with hearing losses to focus on developing speech, listening and spoken language skills. Auditory/Oral and Cued Speech are two other Spoken Language Approaches. No one who is pursuing a Spoken Language Approach for their child would ever use AVT to mean any form of speech and language therapy for it is a distinctively unique approach but someone who does not know what AVT is, might and in your case, did.

AVT is a specialized form of speech and language therapy, but it does not represent the entire field of speech and language therapy itself. There is a difference but you have no idea. While you have stated you provided your son with AVT many times, you have no idea what AVT even is!!! Some research job you did for your child!!! Go research it and you will then know why I was so puzzled when you specifically said you chose AVT for your child that I even questioned you about it. You of course blew me off with a nasty remark.

For your information, we provided our daughter with post-implant speech and language therapy however we provided her with auditory/oral therapy, not auditory verbal therapy. You should learn the difference in case you ever have another deaf child! It really does help to know what speech and language therapy you are actually providing to your child.

We were also fortunate to have a fantastic Speech and Language therapist who started with our daughter when she first got her implant and stayed with her until she stopped s&l therapy after 11th grade. She also from the time she was diagnosed until she started pre-K, went to the League for the Hard of Hearing in NYC where she also received both group and individual s&l therapy from several wonderful speech and language therapists.

If you recall, the other night when you first stated that we had not provided our daughter with any "support services", rather than jump down your throat, I asked you what you meant by that term. You chose to ignore my question and then went on to make an insulting remark about my intelligence.

Well, well, well, it turns out that it is you who has no idea what you are talking about but that did not stop you from making critical and nasty remarks to myself and others all the while exposing yourself as a fool!

Serves you right.

My first thought upon reading this was "What on earth is she talking about?". So I went back and re-read it several times. Then I realized that you have no idea what AVT is at all! AVT, or Auditory-Verbal Therapy is but one option available to those who choose a Spoken Language Approach to teaching children with hearing losses to focus on developing speech, listening and spoken language skills. Auditory/Oral and Cued Speech are two other Spoken Language Approaches. No one who is pursuing a Spoken Language Approach for their child would ever use AVT to mean any form of speech and language therapy for it is a distinctively unique approach but someone who does not know what AVT is, might and in your case, did.

AVT is a specialized form of speech and language therapy, but it does not represent the entire field of speech and language therapy itself. There is a difference but you have no idea. While you have stated you provided your son with AVT many times, you have no idea what AVT even is!!! Some research job you did for your child!!! Go research it and you will then know why I was so puzzled when you specifically said you chose AVT for your child that I even questioned you about it. You of course blew me off with a nasty remark.

For your information, we provided our daughter with post-implant speech and language therapy however we provided her with auditory/oral therapy, not auditory verbal therapy. You should learn the difference in case you ever have another deaf child! It really does help to know what speech and language therapy you are actually providing to your child.

We were also fortunate to have a fantastic Speech and Language therapist who started with our daughter when she first got her implant and stayed with her until she stopped s&l therapy after 11th grade. She also from the time she was diagnosed until she started pre-K, went to the League for the Hard of Hearing in NYC where she also received both group and individual s&l therapy from several wonderful speech and language therapists.

If you recall, the other night when you first stated that we had not provided our daughter with any "support services", rather than jump down your throat, I asked you what you meant by that term. You chose to ignore my question and then went on to make an insulting remark about my intelligence.

Well, well, well, it turns out that it is you who has no idea what you are talking about but that did not stop you from making critical and nasty remarks to myself and others all the while exposing yourself as a fool!

Serves you right.

Ahhh.....but it is you that are, once again, mistaken. Yes, I did say that my son received AVT, and that is exactly what I meant. He not only received the verbal portion for speech skills, but also the auditory portion to teach him to use his residual hearing when aided with HAs. Since the whole point of a CI is to provide a degree of hearing to the deaf, did you not also think it was important that she receive therapy directed at learning to use that hearing? And, since you also claim that hearing and speech are connected, and that better hearing translates to better speech, how is it that auditory therapy would not have benefitted her speech skills? Or, was it simply that your concern was not hearing, but speaking only?

And, there are various methodologies for conducting AVT. AVT is not a methodology, but an umbrella term.

Whatever, fuzzy. See you on the locked ward one of these days...me in the white coat and you in the straight jacket.

fuzzy, ever hear the expression "the inmates are running the asylum" where there is a perfect example of it! :)

Ahhh.....but it is you that are, once again, mistaken. Yes, I did say that my son received AVT, and that is exactly what I meant. He not only received the verbal portion for speech skills, but also the auditory portion to teach him to use his residual hearing when aided with HAs. Since the whole point of a CI is to provide a degree of hearing to the deaf, did you not also think it was important that she receive therapy directed at learning to use that hearing? And, since you also claim that hearing and speech are connected, and that better hearing translates to better speech, how is it that auditory therapy would not have benefitted her speech skills? Or, was it simply that your concern was not hearing, but speaking only?

And, there are various methodologies for conducting AVT. AVT is not a methodology, but an umbrella term.

You can double talk all you want but you have no idea what AVT is. AVT is not an "umbrella" term but a specific and unique form of Spoken Language Therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back