'Hearie' and 'Deafie'...offensive??

I have no problem with those terms, but I don't always use them in case someone doesn't know the meaning and might be offended.

Oh, I forgot to mention: In Germany we don't have short terms for either. Sad thing is, most hearing people still use deaf mute, they never heard of the other word (You say "Taubstumm" for deaf mute and "Gehörlos" for deaf, even though it means "without hearing". So many people really don't know that it is okay to use one word an not okay to use the other one.)

That is fascinating. I'm always interested in languages. What does Taub by itself mean? There is a character on "House " ( a tv program about a brilliant but obnoxious doctor) and now I'm wondering if the writers were getting some character definition in there with the name.

I have tried to send my sister in law (my boyfriend's brother's wife) a link of this website. But she seems refused to check this because noticing 'alldeaf'.com. She assumed it is for Deaf people only and she was like 'I don't want to hear or see anymore of these damn haters, predjuice comments from deaf people like you are'

I wonder how can new hearing members know whether it or not join here if they notice the title alldeaf?

It says something in the description about hearing being welcome.

I don't think your sister in law's problems are really just about the word 'hearie.' I think maybe she's been feeling a little prickly and hurt about your public comments about hearing people for a long time. You would feel the same way if she were publicly complaining about deaf people. I think somebody else suggested you look at what you write and replace 'hearie' with deafie and see if you'd find it offensive if somebody else were saying those things about deaf people
I think your sister in law is upset about way more than the word hearie, so even if she believes the word is not a slur, that won't change what she's really upset about.

You know, I was thinking. You said you didn't need to change the way you post on FB because you're just being yourself. Well, maybe this is your sister in law just being herself, too. If neither of you are willing to change and grow a bit beyond where you are now, then being yourselves is just going to mean you can never get along. That's fine if that's how important it is to you not to be tactful. But if the relationship is more important to you, then maybe you want to just tell her you're sorry, let her have some time, and try to rebuild the relationship when her hurt isn't so fresh.

That is fascinating. I'm always interested in languages. What does Taub by itself mean? There is a character on "House " ( a tv program about a brilliant but obnoxious doctor) and now I'm wondering if the writers were getting some character definition in there with the name.
Taub means deaf, but it also means numb. (I thought about it, there really is no other word for numb)

Vsery interesting. Being numb and (apparently) emotionally insensitive is more true of the main character, but Taub is presented as hiding his feelings, too. That was a clever way for the writers to use a subtle bit of language to describe him.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. Due to the lack of captions I've only seen one episode with a few deaf people in it on TV.

Sorry for the OT!

I asked my husband about the Hearie and Deafie thing. He said he wouldn't be bothered and considered it strange for hearing people get offended by it because it is a cultural thing. I think he is right. Different language, different culture, different people.

Oh okay, I didn't know that. Due to the lack of captions I've only seen one episode with a few deaf people in it on TV.

Sorry for the OT!

I asked my husband about the Hearie and Deafie thing. He said he wouldn't be bothered and considered it strange for hearing people get offended by it because it is a cultural thing. I think he is right. Different language, different culture, different people.

That's what I realized after reading just a little more, that it was just a neutral word.

I wasn't exactly offended, but I was surprised and kind of disappointed the first time I came across the term, because it seemed like a put down, a slur. I think that it seemed that way because I came across it in the thread about annoying hearing people, it was part of a complaint. So the context also gave me the wrong impression.

That made it seem more like a slur than just a neutral cultural term.

But then I read more and realized my first impression was wrong. I knew that was a possibility, which is why I kept my mouth shut and didn't say anything about it until Katz asked.

That made it seem more like a slur than just a neutral cultural term.

But then I read more and realized my first impression was wrong. I knew that was a possibility, which is why I kept my mouth shut and didn't say anything about it until Katz asked.

But that's exactly what you normally do, right? Or you ask a person/friend familiar with that culture about the use of a certain word.

I really do wonder why some people tend to jump to conclusions when they really don't have the slightest idea. I can't see why a hearing person should be offended by "hearie".

But that's exactly what you normally do, right? Or you ask a person/friend familiar with that culture about the use of a certain word.

I really do wonder why some people tend to jump to conclusions when they really don't have the slightest idea. I can't see why a hearing person should be offended by "hearie".

A few years ago there was a big fuss in the hearing world when a person used the word 'niggardly' which only means cheapskate, and a black person who didn't know the word got offended because she did not know the word and jumped to conclusions and thought it was close to the 'n' word. It's not. They have nothing to do with each other, but the white person got fired anyway.

Yes, I normally lurk around and learn more, and then if I am still not sure, I ask. But I have more than the normal amount of cross-cultural exposure, not so much deaf/hearing, but my high school was 70% hispanic, I dated a Mexican boy through most of high school, I have lived in three countries, I've visited South Korea and the Philippines, etc.

All D/deaf people, it seems to me, just because they are deaf (or Deaf) have the cross cultural experience to know and understand how cultures may differ.

But not all hearing people have had that exposure to understand cultural differences, and a lot of hearing people don't even have enough exposure to now that there is such a thing as deaf culture.

And in this instance, it seems to me like the person who was offended only ever heard it used in a negative context by somebody she thinks doesn't like hearing people. That led to an even bigger misunderstanding.

I've never been offended by either term, and I use both terms quite a bit because it is easier to say/type than "hearing person" or "deaf person".

And I don't wear undies. :D

^
nervous1.gif

As a hearing person, who's a newcomer and an outsider, I don't find either term offensive. They can both be used affectionately or pejoratively. If someone yells at me for being an "insensitive, ignorant hearie", I'd take offense to the first two words, not the third one. The first two speak to my personality, which I have direct control over, and I should strive to be neither.

As a matter of personal dogma, I don't think I "should" use either "deafie" or "hearie" yet, as I'm still an outsider to the culture, and don't have a full grasp of the denotations. Does that make sense? :confused:

As a matter of personal dogma, I don't think I "should" use either "deafie" or "hearie" yet, as I'm still an outsider to the culture, and don't have a full grasp of the denotations. Does that make sense? :confused:

Kind of...It really depends on who is using these terms. Are they used by everyone who knows about them or really just by the Deaf community? I don't know. At least you are not ignorant:P

Oh and there is actually a term mostly used by hearing parents to describe their deaf and hh kids around here. "Schlappohren" (floppy ears)
I'm not sure what to think about that one. Most of the kids don't sign and have no clue about deaf culture, so I can't ask them about being offended by that term really. But I'll ask deaf parents next week and their kids what they think of that one.

What are undys?

Some Deaf people say, "undy" which means "understand(s)" but actually, generally in the public, it really means "underwear". Really! Hahaha.

Ok, next subject, I do not like both names, "Deafie" and "Hearie" I know it sounds like "Deafings" and "Hearings" to some. Not really. Has nothing to do with those words. Proper word is Deaf person, Deaf people, Deaf man, Deaf woman, etc.. Or say, people with Deafness, persons with Deafness, or man who is Deaf. Grammarly correct, not politically correct.

I am very much against political correctness however, there is no such words in the dictionary for Deafie or Hearie.

If you want to say in plural, its Deaf persons, etc. Hearing persons, etc.

Deaf and D**b is way off base akin to say, "sl*t" True. I apologize for the last sentence however, I am merely explaining, and not calling anyone those names. Only in private in my head who are those..

If you do not like any of those words, be calm, be assertive, don't get mad, be glad! Hee hee! ;)

If any names are offensive to you, just walk away. Don't get yourself in the papers or the news. You are asking for more trouble. Many whistleblowers got more trouble than they are trying to correct someone. You are victimized yourself again in court so not worth to go after their butts or their fat wallets.

Also please do not go postal or columbined yourself.

If anyone calling you bad names, seek professional help, not law in your own hands.

I was growing up getting bad names from guess who? DEAF people! Yes! Hearing people avoided me and smart not to pick on me. The Deaf did. No offense Deaf People! I grew up more Hearing personality-wise and talk like a Hearing Person. I did not go worse. Praise God for that.

Name callings are a no-no. OK? If someone calls you names that they think it is alright to say, then be nice to explain that it bothers them but it may be ok with others outside of your life. Why I said that, maybe Deafies are ok with some Deaf people as I can see that on here. But not to some others. So, be careful and get to know someone first before you can say such names like that.

First of all, to be honest I haven't heard or known anyone who is hearing that felt insulted and hurt at the term 'hearie' being used by d/Deaf peers until the first time I learned that my sis in law confessed she doesn't like the term I used where she read my comments on Facebook. Im kind of confused because since I have hearing friends and family as well, they seem never felt offended by that label 'hearie' even that there is also a label 'Deafies' being used by some hearing friends and relatives. I have used a label myself and other deaf people as 'deafies' I have known my people they never felt insulted by these term. I don't understand...I mean, I have my hearing friend and have met new faces of hearing people who wanted to learn sign language, in a conversation about each other's life and basic interests. I had a hearing person asking me about my marital status, that I have a boyfriend and asked me "is he a hearie or deafie ?" in fingerspelling. I have never felt offended by a word deafie.

For hearing, do you ever feel offended by a word hearie from deaf people?

For deaf, do you feel offended by a word deafie from hearing people?

Discuss.

Well, I've seen how some Deaf people use "hearie" or "hearies" as an attempt to put them down derogatorily using that term in a put down context. But for the most part, it's innocuous.

First of all, to be honest I haven't heard or known anyone who is hearing that felt insulted and hurt at the term 'hearie' being used by d/Deaf peers until the first time I learned that my sis in law confessed she doesn't like the term I used where she read my comments on Facebook. Im kind of confused because since I have hearing friends and family as well, they seem never felt offended by that label 'hearie' even that there is also a label 'Deafies' being used by some hearing friends and relatives. I have used a label myself and other deaf people as 'deafies' I have known my people they never felt insulted by these term. I don't understand...I mean, I have my hearing friend and have met new faces of hearing people who wanted to learn sign language, in a conversation about each other's life and basic interests. I had a hearing person asking me about my marital status, that I have a boyfriend and asked me "is he a hearie or deafie ?" in fingerspelling. I have never felt offended by a word deafie.

For hearing, do you ever feel offended by a word hearie from deaf people?

For deaf, do you feel offended by a word deafie from hearing people?

Discuss.
i just seen hearie and deafie. to me its just not right ,but if they are fine its ok. buto mei not like it . cuz soundlike insult boh ways i am h of h also tinnitus as well.

As I understand both terms: used a long time ago as short forms which today are obsolete-
due to use of Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants.
Is one still a "deafie" with an Implant or a "hearie"? Meaningful?

Is one still a "deafie" with an Implant or a "hearie"? Meaningful?

No matter how many Implants or whatever that person has, he/she is still deaf.
I know a bunch of deaf people with Implants telling me that they aren't deaf. It is downright ridiculous. Seriously if someone is asking you if you have bad eyesight you tell them no, I just need glasses??!
So, still a deafie in my opinion. Maybe a "deaf hearie" would work...

No matter how many Implants or whatever that person has, he/she is still deaf.
I know a bunch of deaf people with Implants telling me that they aren't deaf. It is downright ridiculous. Seriously if someone is asking you if you have bad eyesight you tell them no, I just need glasses??!
So, still a deafie in my opinion. Maybe a "deaf hearie" would work...

Why either? As I said before the deafie and hearie terms just grate for me. I find them both downright irritating.

As to question as to whether a DEAF person using a Cochlear Implant is DEAF. A real easy test- just disconnect the Implant what does one hear- now? As I have mentioned many times-silence!
Today's world using electronics suggests the obsolescence of the terms "hearie/deafie" as indicating reality.

Back