'Hearie' and 'Deafie'...offensive??

I feel both "hearie & deafie" are actually slang words.....it wouldn't bother me really. I would say a hearie or a deafie on this board, or to my personal friends, .becuz I know the members undy. But other people might take it as an insult, perhaps not even understanding what you meant.

Ok I gotta ask, which members undy do you know and are they boxers or briefs? :hmm: haha

I never heard either term before reading here, and when I first read them, I thought it was rude and I was surprised. It probably did not help that I first read the term 'hearie' in a thread about ignorant hearies, and I did not see the term deafie until later.

But I lurked more, read more, learned more, and understood it wasn't rude. It doesn't bother me.

It is just weird to me, i have, say about 150 or so hearing people on my Facebook friends list, they have seen me using both of slang terms since I first joined fb and YouTube on the comments...not one of them made a rebuttal or bring up an argument or criticize my statement except my sis and bro in law. I wonder why?

Keep in mind that just because someone does say anything to you directly (reply to a post, say something in person/email), doesn't mean they aren't offended.

Often times though, it does mean that they'll read future posts in a more negative light, and comment elsewhere to family/friends etc how offensive you're posting and attitude was to them.

Nope!...Not at all....jeez!...It's a deafie term for "understand"....undy for short....

OHHHH hey this is a perfect, though unintentional example!!

While I know a few people do use the word "undy" to mean understand ... the problem with using that word (which is totally benign) is that "undy" is an alternate spelling for "undie" - which is short for "underwear" meaning boxers, briefs, panties, bras etc.

Depending on the sentence it's used in, and who is reading it - it would be fairly easy to understand how someone might misread what you meant to say and get a totally different meaning.

I never heard the terms before coming here to AD. I understand that most don't find them offensive, so I wouldn't make an issue of it, but personally, I don't care for the terms.

I to had not seen or heard them until coming here. From the first time I saw either they just grate; I don’t know though if “offensive” is the correct term for my reaction. I do not use them.

I do come from the "hearing" community and although the left ear is gone and right ear is profound I am still in it.

Can the world be accurately bifurcated into "hearie/deafie" segments?

What about all the persons who are "hearing impaired' and use Hearing aids? Where do they fit?

Even the term "deafie" is unsuitable-item: all DEAF persons who have/use Cochlear Implants included?

Within the "deafie" group the "voice off" segment who don't want to speak-fit?

Perhaps terms may have been accurate BEFORE the introduction of Hearing aids and the more recent use of Cochlear Implants. Clearly that is not the situation today.

Some thoughts to consider.

"Down Undy"

Slow down there Romeo, buy me a drink first :naughty:

I can see how the terms would be offensive to someone who didn't understand the intent but I think so long as it's not used maliciously they're okay... sort of an affectionate jibe, if that makes sense?

Can the world be accurately bifurcated into "hearie/deafie" segments?

What about all the persons who are "hearing impaired' and use Hearing aids? Where do they fit?

Even the term "deafie" is unsuitable-item: all DEAF persons who have/use Cochlear Implants included?

Within the "deafie" group the "voice off" segment who don't want to speak-fit?

Perhaps terms may have been accurate BEFORE the introduction of Hearing aids and the more recent use of Cochlear Implants. Clearly that is not the situation today.

Some thoughts to consider.

That's how I feel too. It's not so simple to describe one's self as a "hearie" or "deafie" if someone is in that huge middle ground of using technology in order to hear.

If someone identifies one way or the other and wants to call themselves one of those names, I've got no problem with it. But referring to someone else - eh, that's different, unless you know for a fact the other person also uses the terms.

That's how I feel too. It's not so simple to describe one's self as a "hearie" or "deafie" if someone is in that huge middle ground of using technology in order to hear.

Are we people in the middle heafies? dearies? Or maybe that makes us techies! :)

Back