HDTV- no CC ?

DreamyHawaii said:
Yes deafclimber, it is really cool and how about suggest for deaf warning strobe light if something happen about weather warning on TV if broken what will you do ? Need to read closed captioned with portable radio? Are you aware of it too?

no i am not aware of that. in 1986 i was on way to my high school in the morning. somehow i saw many debris everywhere on roads and several damaged homes and some damaged buildings. i went like what going on ! ? i realized i nearly missed a tornato by few minutes. my jaw dropped down as i drove by. luckily my high school didnt get a hit from the tornatoes but i saw several cars flipped over on highway in marietta near atlanta.

yea it wud be cool to have something to alert us with the CCs on radio. i wud avoid that happening if i see the news on radio with CCs.

diehardbiker65 said:
Once again, you and others WILL find out the truth! OFC CC works though digital, but NOT in HDTV format!
Could've fooled me. FCC 00-259 mandates support of EIA 708B closed captioning for all digital TV (which includes HDTV; not all digital TV is high definition, but all high definition TV is digital) on any television with a display that measures more than fourteen inches on the diagonal. Look on this page for FCC 00-259 for details.

Actually, FCC 00-259 requires implementation of more 708B features than the standard initally tried to let people get away with.

Freewoman76 said:
mine HDTV few channels there is CC but garbled and small and bond/thin most channels HDTV no CC :mad:
While analog and digital TV signals are coexisting and most people still have analog TVs, it appears that most TV programs are being made with EIA 608B (analog style) captioning and those captions are mechanically translated into EIA 708B (digital style) captioning. I've seen a lot of garbled EIA 608B captioning (there's nowhere near the bandwidth to send any kind of error correction, and the closest you get to error detection on 608 is that it's sent with either even or odd parity), but not much garbled 708B captioning.

Once analog TV goes away, the people making TV programs won't have any reason not to go ahead and make use of the added features 708B provides. Even now, while TV program makers are wimping out, with a digital TV (which does include HDTV) you can make use of the FCC-mandated feature of digital captioning that lets you tell it to use larger characters, or override the caption encoder's color choices if you want to.

jejones3141 said:
While analog and digital TV signals are coexisting and most people still have analog TVs, it appears that most TV programs are being made with EIA 608B (analog style) captioning and those captions are mechanically translated into EIA 708B (digital style) captioning. I've seen a lot of garbled EIA 608B captioning (there's nowhere near the bandwidth to send any kind of error correction, and the closest you get to error detection on 608 is that it's sent with either even or odd parity), but not much garbled 708B captioning.

Once analog TV goes away, the people making TV programs won't have any reason not to go ahead and make use of the added features 708B provides. Even now, while TV program makers are wimping out, with a digital TV (which does include HDTV) you can make use of the FCC-mandated feature of digital captioning that lets you tell it to use larger characters, or override the caption encoder's color choices if you want to.

bingo ! i am glad u mentioned about these formats like 608b and 708b. my understanding is that these tv networks are trying to replace the analog formats with digitial formats for those dtvs yet those dtvs still have built in digital CCs.

my parents has HDTV, only local channels works. Which they have Dish Networking. Somehow, they got upgrade box from Dish networking, finally work with CC, its very weird!!

SherryCherish said:
my parents has HDTV, only local channels works. Which they have Dish Networking. Somehow, they got upgrade box from Dish networking, finally work with CC, its very weird!!
Broadcast digital TV (that you put up a non-satellite dish antenna to receive) works differently from satellite or cable digital TV. The upgrade probably added the hardware or software needed to deal with the different method.

Congress passed the law

Congress passed the law (i think since 1996) for all tv must have closed captions in it, thats a disappointed that HDTV dont have CC.

Back