HDTV- no CC ?

YOMAN

Reaction score
Just bought a nice 32" Sony HDTV, its awesome quialty picture but i m so disappointed that HDTV doesnt provide CC at all :mad2: !
It works on only regular channels (non HDTV).

How to solve this issue ??

Thanks!
YOMAN!

No solution for HDTV, take that shit back to store. Exchange for EDTV! Only EDTV would work with CC.

The real reason for HDTV not working with CC is because of technologies difference and the engineer who developed HDTV didn't bother or care about CC compatiblity. Now, that it is "STUCK" with specific technology that isn't workable with CC technology.

Same principle, you can't run MAC software on IBM compatible PC.

EDTV stands for Extended Defination TV which have more capacity than HDTV, and had CC compatiblity in mind. Yes, EDTV will get HDTV signals no problem, and WILL show CC.

YOMAN said:
Just bought a nice 32" Sony HDTV, its awesome quialty picture but i m so disappointed that HDTV doesnt provide CC at all :mad2: !

Thanks!
YOMAN!

diehardbiker65 said:
No solution for HDTV, take that shit back to store. Exchange for EDTV! Only EDTV would work with CC.

The real reason for HDTV not working with CC is because of technologies difference and the engineer who developed HDTV didn't bother or care about CC compatiblity. Now, that it is "STUCK" with specific technology that isn't workable with CC technology.

Same principle, you can't run MAC software on IBM compatible PC.

EDTV stands for Extended Defination TV which have more capacity than HDTV, and had CC compatiblity in mind. Yes, EDTV will get HDTV signals no problem, and WILL show CC.
Don't be confusing people about your logic that EDTV is better than HDTV. EDTV does 480p. HDTV can handle more types of signals (480i, 480p, 525p, 720p, 1080i and is coming out with 1080p). And stop telling people that HDTV does not do CC, it DOES! My HDTV does it just fine. :slap:

YOMAN said:

Thanks!
YOMAN!
What is the model of your 32" Sony HDTV? You might want to ask some people over at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php, that is the Audio and Video forums.

Eventually the truth will be discovered by you and others who thinks otherwise. CC only works though ANALOG on HDTV, once ANALOG is disconnected, CC is DEAD.

I had good friend of mine who works in TV repairs and electronics. Yes, he does repairs on HDTVs. He already warned me to stay away from HDTV. That is HOW I know whats going on.

FCC is trying to kill ANALOG signals.

pintnight said:
Don't be confusing people about your logic that EDTV is better than HDTV. EDTV does 480p. HDTV can handle more types of signals (480i, 480p, 525p, 720p, 1080i and is coming out with 1080p). And stop telling people that HDTV does not do CC, it DOES! My HDTV does it just fine. :slap:

diehardbiker65 said:
Eventually the truth will be discovered by you and others who thinks otherwise. CC only works though ANALOG on HDTV, once ANALOG is disconnected, CC is DEAD.

I had good friend of mine who works in TV repairs and electronics. Yes, he does repairs on HDTVs. He already warned me to stay away from HDTV. That is HOW I know whats going on.

FCC is trying to kill ANALOG signals.
Of course FCC is trying to kill the analog signals. Big suprised!!!

And STOP saying that CC does not work with digital signals. It work just fine. I receive digital signals (real digital signals) and I see CC just fine. You are being misinformed and spreading false rumors. Your friend is mistaken. Stop it! :slap:

Once again, you and others WILL find out the truth! OFC CC works though digital, but NOT in HDTV format!

pintnight said:
Of course FCC is trying to kill the analog signals. Big suprised!!!

And STOP saying that CC does not work with digital signals. It work just fine. I receive digital signals (real digital signals) and I see CC just fine. You are being misinformed and spreading false rumors. Your friend is mistaken. Stop it! :slap:

mine HDTV few channels there is CC but garbled and small and bond/thin most channels HDTV no CC :mad:

Oh wow! I better ask a dealer to proof it before I buy one someday. I take your advise.

Exactly! Your experiencing the technical limitation.

Freewoman76 said:
mine HDTV few channels there is CC but garbled and small and bond/thin most channels HDTV no CC :mad:

Go for EDTV, but good idea asking dealer to show CC in HDTV format, not just any channels!
That way, you can see for yourself.

webexplorer said:
Oh wow! I better ask a dealer to proof it before I buy one someday. I take your advise.

At this time, I got 4 TV sets, none of them are HDTV, nor EDTV. I am not going to spend another hard earned dollar on next TV just yet. I wanted to WAIT till right time, and when I get enough information to ensure that I get RIGHT unit with CC capablities. No CC turns me off, period.

diehardbiker65 said:
At this time, I got 4 TV sets, none of them are HDTV, nor EDTV. I am not going to spend another hard earned dollar on next TV just yet. I wanted to WAIT till right time, and when I get enough information to ensure that I get RIGHT unit with CC capablities. No CC turns me off, period.

that is fine with you, diehard..

i have hdtv with DVR. CC still works with any HDTV channels if you have HDTV DVR or HDTV tuners... those DVRs and tuners have built in digital CC. they work fine in any hdtv channel. if i turns CC back to standard channel(nonHD) there is no CC so u can switch the wire to S-video so you can get CC on standard channel(that is analog CC) if you turn the channels to HD channel there is no CC so you need to swtich the wires to YPbPr wires. then you DO get CC on hdtv. these CC from tv and CC from DVR are very different appearances.

Umm its so strange.... it now sudden has CC on HDTV LOL! dont ask me how... my wife just playing w/ remote to try figure it out :) and it works.

A friend of mine has a lcd 50" HDTV and its CC on all channels (whatever the program show proivde CC).

thanks!
YOMAN!

YOMAN said:
Umm its so strange.... it now sudden has CC on HDTV LOL! dont ask me how... my wife just playing w/ remote to try figure it out :) and it works.

A friend of mine has a lcd 50" HDTV and its CC on all channels (whatever the program show proivde CC).

thanks!
YOMAN!

:cheers:

DreamyHawaii said:

yes that is correct. zenith was first to built digital CC in 2002.

http://ncam.wgbh.org/news/pr_07152002.html - its quote -
"Two years ago the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) declared that consumer electronics manufacturers would be required to include compliant closed- captioning decoder circuitry in digital TV devices as of July 1, 2002. Consumer equipment covered under the FCC Report and Order includes DTV sets with integrated widescreen displays measuring at least 7.8 inches vertically, DTV sets with conventional displays measuring at least 13 inches vertically, and stand-alone DTV tuners"

and

"Through its DTV Access Project (www.dtvaccess.org), NCAM works with broadcasters, professional and consumer electronics manufacturers, and industry standards bodies to support implementation of these vital access services. FCC mandates require all stations to have DTV signals on the air by 2003, while a variety of requirements to transmit and receive closed captioning and video description are now in effect. DTV equipment must support caption reception and display as of July 1, 2002. "

http://www.enablelink.com/zenith_launches_digital_high_def.htm -
its quote - "As with analog closed captions more than a decade ago, Zenith is proud to pave the way for bringing closed captions into the digital era," said Ken Lee, senior vice president, sales and marketing. "Implementation of flexible new digital closed captions further enhances digital TV's capabilities, making HDTV more accessible to all Americans."

Yes that's correct and sounds cool to me.

Yes deafclimber, it is really cool and how about suggest for deaf warning strobe light if something happen about weather warning on TV if broken what will you do ? Need to read closed captioned with portable radio? Are you aware of it too?

deafclimber said:
good information about Digital CC - http://www.atsc.org/faq/faq_closed.html

Back