HDTV, DVD player, and Cable

I don't recall seeing any modern Blu-ray movie containing CC? I remember one older Blu-ray movie did contain CC but I don't remember the name. The only way for that to work is the Blu-ray player must be able to decode CC from Blu-ray disc, overlay CC onto the video signal and transmit to HDMI cable. I don't know what brand Blu-ray player can do that. I know at least one Panasonic DVD (not Blu-ray) player may be able to do that (transmit CC over HDMI to HDTV). Another possibility is to use composite cable from Blu-ray player to HDTV but that's not High Definition.

I have a home-built PC with Blu-ray drive and Windows 7 Media Center Edition and it can transmit CC over HDMI cable in High Definition but I don't know one modern Blu-ray movie has CC. I have been using SDH and I kind of like it better than tradional CC. My PC also has Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra software and it does a great job playing Blu-ray movies and can also transmit CC to HDTV via HDMI.

I am afraid CC in Blu-ray movies is dead (or very close to dead).

Peter

Closed caption also shows the water drip sound, guard walking on metal floor and all that while SDH doesn't.

maybe you mean (foreign mode) English Subtitle, not SDH.

There are two different between that one. So far, Banjo been explain that SDH does include the sound background when you see "SDH" or "for hearing impaired" whatever from the language selection on disc.

Who care? CC is practically dead on most DVD. Thank to English SDH.

I prefer captions to SDH. Usually the SDH is in yellow, and the background sometimes blends in with the subtitles and you don't know what's going on or being said.

I prefer captions to SDH. Usually the SDH is in yellow, and the background sometimes blends in with the subtitles and you don't know what's going on or being said.

To precisely clarify:

SDHH = subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

these can be either in cc form(black background) or subtitled form(opague) but on occassion do not interpret songs

CC = closed captions(ing; ed)

Are almost always with black background but do interpret songs

Subtitles
Generally are always visible when watching a foreign film but not necessarily a foreign produced film

I currently have a newer Samsung Blue-Ray/DVD player and surround sound which is connected via HDMI cables and I can view CC's with any DVD. My player also has streaming subscriptions like: Netflix and Hutu, Blockbuster, etc. Streaming still does NOT provide and CC or Subtitles as there is no provision to turn it on via the TV screen like on a Laptop or PC. These have been addressed to the streaming folks to no avail!

Manufacturers or movie companies are turning to subtitles which are cheaper to manufacture than CC's, I think they also have excluded song lyrics in order to save having to pay royalities to the song writer.

TV/Streaming ready DVD players/Blue Ray, etc can only watch Foreign "subtitled" films.....NO English speaking films yet!

Back