HA's

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is mainly aimed at the UK AD'ers due to hearing aids being totally different but anybody can contribute if they wish to

What HA's have you had in the past, have you liked them or hated them? What HA do you currently have? Do you like them/dislike them, and why?

Just wanted to know what HA most people in UK have

I have a Spirit 3 SP HA from Oticon, I feel that it does not give me as much hearing as it used to when I was given it. It doesnt enable me to hear the phone ring whereas other HA's i'v had in the past has enabled me to do this and among other things.

I've always had NHS HAs. I started out, when I was a child, with a Medresco aid in the early 1970s, those things with earphones and wires, which whistled everytime you moved. Then I had BTE aids, I worked my way up through the power strengths of analogue aids, BE17, BE37 and BE53. Now I have bilateral digitals, Siemens Reflex DSPs.

When I was a kid they would only give me an aid for my better ear, my right ear, but now my right ear is as bad, if not worse than the left, so I've got two. If I only had a right HA still, I'd hardly hear a thing!!!

When I first got the digitals they seemed much quieter than the analogues I'd been used to, but the audi said that once I got used to them the clarity would be better, however I'm not sure this has really been the case. I've had my right HA adjusted several times and tried a new mould, but I still can't hear well with it. The left one is better, but my left ear has more of a conductive loss, due to an operation I had as a child, which may be the reason for this. Last time I went to the hospital they said they'd probably never get my right HA to sound as good as the left.

I have grown up with analogue hearing aid and the hearing aid iv currently got is digital and i dont really like it.

I wore a Siemens analog HA for my whole life - I grew up on analog. Then, I tried digital in '03 and have been wearing it ever since. I thought I was hearing great with it and had adapted to it well. Then it went bust and I tried on my old analog. The sound quality was a night and day difference even though the analog was half the volume of my digital. I tried another digital by Phonak. It still didn't sound right, even with all its nifty features.

Then, I went to analog with all the features GONE. It's a night and day difference and I absolutely LOVE my hearing aid. I'm not going back to digital anytime soon and I've become a major fan of the analog exclusively. Of course, due to the differences in hearing loss out there the same results for anyone that tries this switch are not guaranteed. :)

When I was fitted with my digitals I asked the audi if I could keep the analogues for emergencies. She said 'It's not NHS policy,' and therefore wouldn't let me. Even though she'd just said that they didn't dispense analogue HAs any more, so I expect they got put in the rubbish bin!

Sometimes I wish I still had the analogue, then I could compare it with digital.

I have no idea what type of HAs I wore as a child all I know is that the first pair of HAs I had was the bodyworn ones and then the 2nd pair was the BTEs and they were both analogs as it was back in the 1980s. I have not worn a HA ever since I was 10 years old. I have a CI now.

Lu...you had body worns? WOW.
It's too bad that you're kind of limited for funds right now. I would suggest maybe trying one of the new digitals. I know a girl our age who had such a profound loss that even a body worn aid didn't work.
She recently tried a digital aid, and was able to get some speech perception (like whole words!)

Lu...you had body worns? WOW.
It's too bad that you're kind of limited for funds right now. I would suggest maybe trying one of the new digitals. I know a girl our age who had such a profound loss that even a body worn aid didn't work.
She recently tried a digital aid, and was able to get some speech perception (like whole words!)

No HA will ever work in either of her ears, that's why she stopped wearing them many years ago. Even a digital HA isn't gonna touch her 120+ db loss. The girl you know probably still had enough residual low frequency hearing, something Lucia lacks.

No HA will ever work in either of her ears, that's why she stopped wearing them many years ago. Even a digital HA isn't gonna touch her 120+ db loss. The girl you know probably still had enough residual low frequency hearing, something Lucia lacks.

You know what I don't get, why you think that 120 db is untouchable with hearing aids, but 110, and 105 (which you have) is extremely aidable and should never get a CI.....:roll:

You know what I don't get, why you think that 120 db is untouchable with hearing aids, but 110, and 105 (which you have) is extremely aidable and should never get a CI.....:roll:

I was wondering the same thing to be honest. I will have to ask my audiologist(s) this. Those reading my post can offer their own theories as well. Let me share my experience what it's like. The results are with the speaker volume cranked up.

250Hz(75db HL) and 500Hz(90db HL): I hear low frequencies up to 500Hz very loud. I can still hear those from the other side of the house!

750Hz(105db HL): I still hear this tone very loud but notice it's half as loud as the 500Hz tone. I can hear this tone from the other room!

1000Hz(110db HL): Much softer than 750Hz, about half as loud and about a quarter as loud as 500Hz. I can still hear 1000Hz from the other end of my room!

1250Hz(115db HL): Less than half as loud as 1000Hz, this tone is quite hard to hear even if I put my ear to the speaker. I can't hear it from more than about 3 feet away.

1500Hz and 2000Hz+(115db-120db+ HL): Most of the time, 1500Hz is inaudible. On a good day, I hear it from a few inches away at threshold levels.

I am personally surprised by that disparity, once I reach 110db HL, each few db above that quickly fades into nothing. But I hear sounds very loud and well at levels below 110db HL, even the 750Hz tone I can hear very well! I have a piano when when I play it, there is a small difference in loudness between the low(first set) and mid frequency keys(second set). It's when I get to the high frequency keys(third set) that I can tell a noticable volume decrease between each key. My parents do not experience this however for any keys. My dad only experiences this for the last few highest keys since he has a moderate high frequency loss. But for me, the last dozen keys are silent, and the keys before that are very faint.

Some possibilities and theories:

1. Perhaps the dynamics of the ear changes at 110db and up. Below 110db HL, there still is enough functioning hair cells that can be stimulated/amplified. Once you get to 110db and up, there is so few, if any hair cells. Ive read into cochlear dead regions where a very loud sound actually stimulates adjacant hair cells and this does give the person a perception of hearing. The sound may be noiselike, very distorted, off-frequency, felt as a woosh, or simply very faint.

2. I wonder if it's a limitation of HAs but after trying my old HAs from 1998 and comparing my new HAs from 2008 with neither giving me hearing above 1250Hz, but the new HAs making sounds at 1250Hz and below 2-4x louder, yet still not being able to give me anything usable at 1500Hz, I suspect it's my ears.

3. I am able to get a response on the audiometer at 1500Hz, 2000Hz and sometimes even 3000Hz in the 115db to 120db range. But I don't recall hearing any shrill tones or whistles. It's likley I heard a low frequency distortion that came from the audiometer and/or due to the cochlear dead region phenomenon. I also hear the same distortion comming from my speakers at 1500Hz, 2000Hz, 3000Hz, 4000Hz, etc. It sounds like "ehhhh" like humming or static.

4. I will find out more when I ask my audie about this and when he reprograms my HAs. He did say that at 120db, HAs cease to become useful. I can ask him what about at 110db, 115db and in between 110db and 120db.

5. I do know that the pain threshold as well as UCL(uncomfortable level) occurs at or around 120db. Thus even if you could attempt to amplify a 120db loss with an insane amount of gain/SPL, it won't be pratical as there's zero dynamic range, would not be comfortable and might even cause damage to adjacant functioning hair cells.

Have you considered that it is because it is an arbtrary line drawn in your head alone?

I used to have the NHS:
BE11 range then BE30 range, Then BE50 range.

I also had a private hearing aid similar to BE52's.
I've never tried Digital. I wanted one but the NHS centre I was at didn't cover them. Now it's too late as I no longer have useful hearing.

Now I want a tactaid7 isnstead of a hearing aid. It turns sound into vibrations.

Have you considered that it is because it is an arbtrary line drawn in your head alone?

I am only stating my personal observations and experience. I was surprised how well I could hear up to 1000Hz and how dramatic the volume decrease was above 1000Hz. I am still learning more about this and would be curious if others experience the same thing as I do?

Deafteen,

Ive talked to you in PMs and on IMs. I wanted to post in your thread because I feel that others can help you as well. I used to have a problem with poor aided scores. I still do at 1000Hz and above but im now working with my audiologist and we will find out if it's the HAs or if it's my hearing loss is too profound in the mid frequencies. He already told me a 120db loss can't be touched but im still trying to find out about a 110db or 115db loss.

You showed me your audiogram for your right ear and it's pratically identical to mine! With that in mind, you should be hearing as well as I am and have the same aided scores. Your aided scores in 2003 of 40-65db are quite poor. I was getting better aided scores than that back in 1998 with older HAs. Nothing is wrong with your Oticon Sumo DM HA, it's as good as my Phonak Naida V UP and maybe even better. If you say your gains are only a couple db from maxed out, id seek an unaided and aided test. Id also have your HA reprogrammed to run in analog mode and disable all the useless features that block some of the sounds you should hear. It happened to Phisius, see his thread.

Last edited:
The problem is, deafteen and I are from UK we only accept what ever NHS gives us, they won't give us what we ask for. They have limited funds and huge number of deaf people (1 in 7).

I always had the NHS analogue ones but now I cant hear speech I dont bother too much I would rather not have any. I dont get sore ears anymore. I just use sign and lipread mostly.

OMG deafdude just because she has a almost the same audiogram on paper than u do DOES NOT mean she hears the same as u do. Get OVER yourself...And obviously if SHE feels like she isn't hearing as well with her HA's it's not ur job to say her hearing aids shud be fine for her. UGH

I dont have the same audiogram as you deafdude!

my HL is lot worser than yours

You showed me your audiogram for your right ear and it's pratically identical to mine! With that in mind, you should be hearing as well as I am and have the same aided scores.

Deafdude,
You continue to mistake pure tone behavioral audiography for hearing. Like me, you want to place numerical values and assign equations to explain hearing. That works for the physics of a speaker, but is not valid in the biologic system of human hearing. Pure tones simply measure one's ability to perceive tones at various frequencies and decibels. It does not tell us anything about the quality of sound perception or the person's ability to decode the complex sounds of speech into understandable language. You continue to make broad generalizations about other people's ability to hear based on audiograms alone, and this is simply NOT POSSIBLE.

It might be safer if you simply report your own experiences, and not try to predict what and how others hear or respond to technology.

Back