Has anyone Been abuse by a parent for being HOH?

My dad always called me stupid and I wouldn't amount to anything but a ditch digger. He died in '88 and I don't miss him. Mom died in '05 and I do miss her.

I wasn't physically abused...but I was mentally abused.

I'm like this, too. I also prefer to be with able-bodied people. Don't know why, but that's been my preference althrough life.

:hmm:

I attended a summer camp for the blind from age 8-18, but that was the only exposure I had to blind children.

I also grew up mainstreamed and was the only blind student in my school district.

I don't have anything against people with disabilities, but I've always preferred to be with sighted children as opposed to blind children.

I'm the opossite. One of the things I hated most about Uni was being the only disabled one. Everyone was so normal. I could never relate to them. I much prefered my stay at RNC (Royal National college for the blind) as there were more people like me there.

My mother use to make me sit in front of a TV and try to make me make my hearing better and my step-father was worst he was a person that when he said something he only said it once and the person was shit out of luck if they didn't hear him and I was shit out of luck 99% of the time. :roll:

My mother use to make me sit in front of a TV and try to make me make my hearing better and my step-father was worst he was a person that when he said something he only said it once and the person was shit out of luck if they didn't hear him and I was shit out of luck 99% of the time. :roll:

And I thought my parents were clueless when it came to me being HOH ! How it that going to help you hear better sitting front of the TV! If the TV was on real loud it could had more harm to your hearing!

I'm the opossite. One of the things I hated most about Uni was being the only disabled one. Everyone was so normal. I could never relate to them. I much prefered my stay at RNC (Royal National college for the blind) as there were more people like me there.

I'm the only deafblind student at my university of 30,000 students and I love it. I like being among sighted-hearing students given how diverse the population is when it comes to culture and ethnicity.

And I thought my parents were clueless when it came to me being HOH ! How it that going to help you hear better sitting front of the TV! If the TV was on real loud it could had more harm to your hearing!

She always thought that if a person is hard of hearing they can exercise their ears to hear better, in others words if I really want to hear better all I have to do is try.

My mother used to abuse me by forcing me to sit at the dinner table until I ate all my food. It wasn't unusual for me to sit there for 2 hours at a time. My mother told me if I didn't eat my dinner I wouldn't get dessert. It didn't matter to me because I wasn't allowed to have snacks in between meals anyways. Food wasn't something I cared about.

:wave:HA and all; HA, SORRY it's taken me time to get back to your question....have got two new part-time jobs and mom was in hospital...anyway, about the Tai Chi thoughts - we talked about breath alot. About breathing from your center and taking deep abdominal breaths <as opposed to shallow breathing> as being one of the basic focal points of of not only Tai Chi but of balance, of energy. Also discussed being present with each movement. And one time the teacher and another student brought in some Tibetan singing bowls of various sizes. One was really large and had a deep vibrational quality so one could feel the tone of the bowl.

My parents were abusive toward eachother, emotionally. As a young kid I would either go outside, or to my room, or sometimes stand between them. They loved me and showed it but were often fighting and screaming at eachother and sometimes threw things, mostly up until I was about high school age. My mother's mom was physically and emotionally abusive to her so I never met her but that led to my mother being very overprotective and probably also to how she interacted with my dad. My folks have mellowed a lot over the years and do relate better now but for some time I didn't know if they really loved each other. One day when I was in college I asked my dad outright. He said he did. And in recent years they have given each other gifts and cards which include an "I love you" message, so that is nice. I do see a change. But it was a long time coming.

Up until about seventh grade I had an IEP and was in the resource room. But my LD was undiagnosed. I remember my poor dad trying to help me with math homework and I didn't understand anything and we didn't know why and he'd get pretty upset. It seemed like we sat there for hours and hours. This also coincided with the time frame in which their fighting was the worst and we were doing very badly financially so all these thing together did not help with the homework issue.

She always thought that if a person is hard of hearing they can exercise their ears to hear better, in others words if I really want to hear better all I have to do is try.

LOL! Wow That is really funny !Your mom is really clueless about being HOH!
I am sorry for laughing but I never heard this before! I am sorry you had to go through that. Hearing people just do not get it!

LOL! Wow That is really funny !Your mom is really clueless about being HOH!
I am sorry for laughing but I never heard this before! I am sorry you had to go through that. Hearing people just do not get it!

She had real good hearing and I guess it was hard for her to understand what was going on with me and not only that she was a nut :roll:

My dad always called me stupid and I wouldn't amount to anything but a ditch digger. He died in '88 and I don't miss him. Mom died in '05 and I do miss her.

I wasn't physically abused...but I was mentally abused.

My dad had a real nice nickname for me! "Jackass!" And he had a story to go along with it!" A man had a jackass and he send it all over the world and it came back still a JACKASS! This just like my daughter and would say my name! " My dad love telling this to people about me! It still hurt to this day!
when I finally finish high school , I was 20 years old, I gave my dad my graduation photo for a XMas gift , he threw my photo on the floor and said "what the Hell do I want that for!"

I honestly don't understand why parents treat their children the way they do. If someone wants to have children, it's their job to do everything possible to raise them in a loving home. If parents aren't capable of doing that, they shouldn't have children in the first place.

I honestly don't understand why parents treat their children the way they do. If someone wants to have children, it's their job to do everything possible to raise them in a loving home. If parents aren't capable of doing that, they shouldn't have children in the first place.

I agree :)

She had real good hearing and I guess it was hard for her to understand what was going on with me and not only that she was a nut :roll:

My family was the same way! I would be upstairs in my bedroom with my solid wooden door close and my parents would call me from the kitchen to say they're taking us out to dinner! I never heard my parents so they left with out me!
When I finally do go downstairs for dinner no one home but me! My parents and older sister said they called me, and I did not answer ! My family just did not get it, I could not hear them calling me from downstairs and they never came upstairs to get me! Everyone would in a great mood and I would
angry and hungry!

Back