Has anyone Been abuse by a parent for being HOH?

Been abused by my parents? No I have not.

However, I was treated differently because of my deafness.... I was kept on tight leash.... meaning I didn't have a whole lot of freedom. My parents were very protective of me... I wasn't allowed to go out with my friends alone until I was only ten years old.... I wasn't allowed to walk to the store with my friends until I was 12 years old.... I wasn't allowed to be in the mall alone with my friends until I was 13.....

But as each year progress....I was given more freedom. But not much... my deaf friends had even more freedom than I did. However I do know two girls who are deaf and that they are same age as I am, they did not have freedom as I did... they were even kept on tighter leash than I was. Even to this day, she's 25 and she's not allowed to drive out of city of Vancouver. I was 16 when my parents has allowed me to drive out of city of Vancouver.

The tighter the leash they have on me, the more rebellous I became. At age of 18, I couldn't stand it anymore, I was legally adult and yet they still treated me like a child. I took off and I haven't spoken to them for three years. Only this January we have begun speaking to eachother again and now we're a family....and they have learned that they can NOT control me. I have my own life and it's my choices, not theirs.

I hate it just because I'm deaf does not mean I don't have my own mind.... That's very wrong. Deaf means I can't hear.... deaf does NOT mean that I can't make my own mind. My brain is unaffected by my deafness. It's my ears that are affected by my deafness. They finally got the freakin message!

That reminded me of the time I got mad at my mother for not letting me ride my bike on the street (far right side, of course!) while my cousin (4 years younger than me) rode her bike on street.

I also want to join Girl Scouts because of those cool crafts they were doing. Two of my deaf friends were in the Scouts. I am not sure why my mother said no. It could have been money reason.

When I moved back home after my divorce, my mother picked up where we left off when I moved out of state. Boy, that made me mad.

I also want to join Girl Scouts because of those cool crafts they were doing. Two of my deaf friends were in the Scouts. I am not sure why my mother said no. It could have been money reason.

Buffalo, I spent two years in a handicapped Girl Scout troop because my stepmother insisted.

I hated it! :lol:

Buffalo, I spent two years in a handicapped Girl Scout troop because my stepmother insisted.

Good lord I had no idea that they had special needs troops apart from the 'normal' troops.

I thought the special needs scouts were integrated in with the other scouts with the proper accommodations being made.

I recall when my brother was in Boy Scouts (he's an Eagle Scout) they had a boy in the troop that was the same age as my brother with Muscular Dystrophy and required a wheel chair as his case was so severe he could not walk. He went on camp outs, trips and what have you not until his body could no longer keep up. The same boy is now home bound is on oxygen as now his lungs are beginning to fail.

Good lord I had no idea that they had special needs troops apart from the 'normal' troops.

I thought the special needs scouts were integrated in with the other scouts with the proper accommodations being made.

I recall when my brother was in Boy Scouts (he's an Eagle Scout) they had a boy in the troop that was the same age as my brother with Muscular Dystrophy and required a wheel chair as his case was so severe he could not walk. He went on camp outs, trips and what have you not until his body could no longer keep up. The same boy is now home bound is on oxygen as now his lungs are beginning to fail.

We had two deaf, one blind, and one really mean kid in a wheelchair. The others were just regular, so I guess you would call it integrated.

But I think it might have been the only troop that took handicaps.

I was never abused, but my father was always distant with my twin brother and I because, I suspect, of our hearing losses. He is a musician, and he always felt like he couldn't share music with us because we had hearing losses (he admitted this to me a few years ago). But really I think he just used our HL's as an excuse to be a lousy, neglectful father. I'm not sure how things would have been different if we hadn't had hearing losses. Maybe different, but probably no better.

I hated going to girl scout! All the girls were so stuck up!
We use to play that stupid game were you had to whisperer into each girl ear and the last girl had to say what the first person heard.
The girls would mad at me as I could not hear what they whisperering
in my ear! The leader was an idiot , she knew I was HOH. It was like asking a blind person what color she like best!

I never knew they had special troops for children with disabilities and I used to be a part of Girl Scouts as a child. Interesting.

I never knew they had special troops for children with disabilities and I used to be a part of Girl Scouts as a child. Interesting.

I doubt if there any special troops for HOH girls when I was a kid! I had to special class in middle school. We called were reject then! Nice! It does wonder for a child self esteem!

Same thing here. My parents might not abused me but the (pro-oral) system abused me. I feel I am behind in some areas.

Same here too. With one teacher especially. I was punished practically EVERY SINGLE DAY. A lot of the time I didn't even know why I was being punished. My dad thought she was a really good teacher. I didn't tell them what she was like since I assumed they already knew and approved of her treatment of me.

Why?
When I went to this disabled play scheme that was run during the holiday time I really loved it because their was a climbing frame and a lot of activities. I didn't particularly care that 80 per cent of the kids had learning difficulties there. I just enjoyed being there. Mom also took me to a club for the disabled where I was the only one without learning difficulties. It didn't bother me at all. In fact I invited one of the girls there to my birthday party. In the end the fact that some of the other kids had very severe learning difficulties was bothering mom more then it was bothering me.

Why?
When I went to this disabled play scheme that was run during the holiday time I really loved it because their was a climbing frame and a lot of activities. I didn't particularly care that 80 per cent of the kids had learning difficulties there. I just enjoyed being there. Mom also took me to a club for the disabled where I was the only one without learning difficulties. It didn't bother me at all. In fact I invited one of the girls there to my birthday party. In the end the fact that some of the other kids had very severe learning difficulties was bothering mom more then it was bothering me.

It wasn't because it was disable scouting. I just hated being like little soldiers.

I wasn't good at doing anything and the only badge I earned was cooking, and for that my father helped me a lot.

Also I never could make friends as a child.

I got a lot better after I grew up.

I doubt if there any special troops for HOH girls when I was a kid! I had to special class in middle school. We called were reject then! Nice! It does wonder for a child self esteem!

I was misdiagnosed as having a learning disability in first grade due to my blindness.

Fortunately, my second and fourth grade teachers recommended that I skip a grade, but my parents refused because of the problems it would cause with socialization. I'm glad they made that choice. If they didn't, I would have been the youngest graduate in my senior class at age 15.

The links you provided were fascinating. :ty: Bott. :)

Welcome. Surprising that something I hated so much should provide interesting conversation.

I am actually surprised that anyone liked it.

Welcome. Surprising that something I hated so much should provide interesting conversation.

I am actually surprised that anyone liked it.

That's true.

If I had been in your situation Bott, I don't think I would have liked it either. I don't have anything against people with disabilities, but I've always preferred to be with sighted children as opposed to blind children.

That's true.

If I had been in your situation Bott, I don't think I would have liked it either. I don't have anything against people with disabilities, but I've always preferred to be with sighted children as opposed to blind children.

I'm like this, too. I also prefer to be with able-bodied people. Don't know why, but that's been my preference althrough life.

:hmm:

Has anyone been abuse by their parent(s) for being HOH or deaf?
If you were , were you able to forgive them? I would like to know people were able let go of the abuse.

I'm hearing, but physically disabled. I also have abuse issues.

Back