Harmony Ci?

macawsdeaf

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (Nintendo DSI)

I am not sure about upgrading my S-series to Harmony.

How small or how big? Will I able find my Harmony if falls on the ground? It is firm enough stay on the ear? Will the sound quality be different or same?

What can I be benefits from it?

What happened if i have no insurance What should I do? What they offer?

How small or how big? Will I able find my Harmony if falls on the ground? It is firm enough stay on the ear? Will the sound quality be different or same?

Having AB's BTE from first day release, my ear adapted the BTE staying on my ear. The harmony is just like the BTE, in fact, it stays on better than BTE. The size slightly bigger than BTE, not nothing I companied about.

If it falls on the ground... you'll find it lol.

Sound quality will be a HUGE improvement over the S-series. The best feature on teh harmony that cochlear n5 does not have is the t-mic.

I believe the harmony is a $8000 upgrade..

i asked AB if they would take payments as i dont have insurance. they said yes.:bowdown: the payment: $500 a month.:jaw::cry: good thing i got 2 harmonies when i had my second implant. i use the psp as backup. only con is battery does not last long on the c-1 implant. mine lasts about 4-5 hours average.

if you already have the harmony then.. what were you really asking for (besides being compatible with the older implant)

I am looking 4 postive and negative so if i make it out alright with the new one. I wants to be able to hear my music and play my piano. plus, conversations.

yeah the batteries varies how long you had them and how much power your implant requires. For my, the harmony lasts 6-7 hours which is good.

if you already have the harmony then.. what were you really asking for (besides being compatible with the older implant)

diff poster baseballboy...both other posters (original) and reply were from diff ppl

mudrider420 i asked AB if they would take payments as i dont have insurance. they said yes. the payment: $500 a month. good thing i got 2 harmonies when i had my second implant. i use the psp as backup. only con is battery does not last long on the c-1 implant. mine lasts about 4-5 hours average.
macawsdeaf

i have an Advanced Bionics-Harmony right from the start-July 07.
It has never "fallen off" my left ear. The magnet seems to "hold it in place".
Also, have 4 rechargeable batteries. So far connect every morning around 7.00 am-disconnect when swimming 11.30 to 12.30 Reconnect and it "runs out somewhere around 9 to 10 pm. I don't carry a battery with me and if going somewhere pass 10.00pm just switch batteries at suppertime. So far so good.

I understand the amount of battery life depends on one's Implant's mapping. I can remember Amy Ng-audi Sunnybrook/Toronto saying after the last mapping-there will be more "battery use" than before.

My experience to date.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

My Harmony lasts about 7 hours with the standard rechargeable battery. I carry a battery with me if I'm leaving in the morning and coming back at nighttime. Pretty cool for saving money and even got me to start using the rechargeable battery for the Cochlear Freedom even though the regular disaposable batteries last like 2-3 days and is covered by insurance. I now have 2 docks for my rechargeable batteries and charge them overnight when I go to bed... :)

EDIT: My harmony has NOT fall off my ear from what I remember (I'm trying to remember hard, but NOPE NONE!). The hook is very stable and flexible, so you can adjust it to whatever you like.

hey mudkipz? i know its to late for me to ask this, but since i see you have 2 different implants, is there much difference(or any) between the ab and the cochlear? sorry if i am taking this topic off course. i had thought about having 2 different implants but noone could seem to answer my questions. i now have bilateral ab.

There is not much difference between both the harmony and the n5. But the biggest difference I find is that the Harmony has the mic right at the ear canal, and the n5 has the mics on the processor right on the top. I really dislike the mic being on top of the processor in compare to the t-bic for the harmony.
Another thing is that the harmony has a more "sexier" headpeice compare to the n5.

But the n5 dominates the harmony in size, sexiness overall, and battery life. The n5 lasts me all day on a compact battery and the compact battery for the hamony lasted 6-7 hours. The harmony with a compact battery is slightly bigger than the n5 with a standard battery (largest size for n5).
The remote is a very neat feature and offers more features from the processor than the harmony does.

As far as the implants go, I dont know much but I think AB has more simulants for their implant compare to cochlear's current implants. But note that AB is not on the market for now until their new implants get approved.

Used to have both ears implanted with AB until my right broke a few months ago and went with Cochlear

There is not much difference between both the harmony and the n5. But the biggest difference I find is that the Harmony has the mic right at the ear canal, and the n5 has the mics on the processor right on the top. I really dislike the mic being on top of the processor in compare to the t-bic for the harmony.
Another thing is that the harmony has a more "sexier" headpeice compare to the n5.

But the n5 dominates the harmony in size, sexiness overall, and battery life. The n5 lasts me all day on a compact battery and the compact battery for the hamony lasted 6-7 hours. The harmony with a compact battery is slightly bigger than the n5 with a standard battery (largest size for n5).
The remote is a very neat feature and offers more features from the processor than the harmony does.

As far as the implants go, I dont know much but I think AB has more simulants for their implant compare to cochlear's current implants. But note that AB is not on the market for now until their new implants get approved.

Used to have both ears implanted with AB until my right broke a few months ago and went with Cochlear

@ mudrider, this ^

Other than more mapping options for the AB Harmony,the N5 being bit smaller and slimmer than the Harmony in size, N5 having better battery life than Harmony, this isn't much difference in between.

Both implants can be programmed to hear the "same" for you and I can tell you that I hear the same sounds on each side, but better sound quality as a whole (Both CI on). Although for each side, I have been wearing the Cochlear much longer than AB, so the sound quality on the Cochlear side is better than my other side with the Harmony only, but together, they sound the best for me.

Excuse me, but, what's simulants? ....

@ mudrider, this ^

Other than more mapping options for the AB Harmony,the N5 being bit smaller and slimmer than the Harmony in size, N5 having better battery life than Harmony, this isn't much difference in between.

Both implants can be programmed to hear the "same" for you and I can tell you that I hear the same sounds on each side, but better sound quality as a whole (Both CI on). Although for each side, I have been wearing the Cochlear much longer than AB, so the sound quality on the Cochlear side is better than my other side with the Harmony only, but together, they sound the best for me.
Very interesting to read that you can get the same sound with AB vs Cochlear. Great things these brains of us..

Excuse me, but, what's simulants? ....
AB has fewer electrodes in the cochlea compared to Cochlear, but they have a way of making "virtual electrodes" creating 100+ extra points of stimulation.
Will try to find you the info..
--------------------------
Got it:
http://dus28.grange.psu.edu/CIChoices/CIComparison.htm

Look at the Sound Sampling Rate and the Stimulation Rate.That might explain the higher powerconsumption for the AB.
Number of electrodes (Virtual + real) seems to be 120 for AB versus 22 (only real) for the Cochlear....

Attachments

• CI comparison spreadsheet xlsx.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
AB has fewer electrodes in the cochlea compared to Cochlear, but they have a way of making "virtual electrodes" creating 100+ extra points of stimulation.
Will try to find you the info..
--------------------------
Got it:
http://dus28.grange.psu.edu/CIChoices/CIComparison.htm

Look at the Sound Sampling Rate and the Stimulation Rate.That might explain the higher powerconsumption for the AB.
Virtual Electrodes (+ real) seems to be 120 versus 22 for the Cochlear....

Oh, so it's stimulants, not simulants...... thank you very much!

Just crossed 4 years with my Advanced Bionics-Harmony implant. No complaints-so far-mentioned before lucky I guess.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Back