Hard of hearing vs hearing family

Family really should put CC on. I would be happy to support and accomondate if something happened to them, and they should do the same. I would simply tell the how boring and lonely it is to watch tv alone. It's really sad when people do not want to be supportive.

Here is a good blog post on explaining hearing loss to family:
https://hearinglosspages.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/advocating-within-family-for-hearing-loss/

My parents refuse to leave the cc on for me, I even get yelled out for turningthem on. My tv has cc on 24/7. My parents also yell at me, like when I am listening to music, they will sit there and yell and yell and yell. When I finally hear them or look over or what not they are super angry. I do have my phone 24/7 and my smart watch which vibrant when I get a text so they could text me. When my husband can't hear me I go and tap his shoulder or make sure he can see my lips or just sign to him. When some one losses their hearing but was born and raise and started their own hearing family it is hard for everyone else to adapt. Remember deafness is invisible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I had complaints from neighbour I been unaware of sound level but they know me now and say something and as husband now hard of hearing he do blast things out I unaware,now he do get cussed at.i getting more aware life can be harder for h of hearing.people accept me but harsh for him.
For him HA ideal but he refused wear one trouble is I have relied on him more than should have so has daughter he been enabler and now because other problems with me and daughter he turns himself off it passive aggressive I find it odd when ha help him his lip reading and sign is better than me ..he selects to be deaf maybe I should stop nagging

Almost from the day I had the first caption machine my family always kept the captions on. My parents now just leave it on all the time ever since all tvs had to have the caption chips included. Even when I'm not here they leave it on. My sister used to leave the captions on as well- I think she did so that her hubby could watch and maybe to help my (very smart) niece learn reading- bonus was the volume could be turned down or off while sis slept in the morning (night shift worker).

All of my friends don't mind captions when I ask (I always ask first) if I could turn the captions on. Well the hearing friends I have.. the deaf already have it on anyway lol.

Over the years we've adapted... my family knows to never call me via voice phone anymore as I hate it and now I am having a harder time hearing. So they text (working on getting my aunt comfortable enough to lol) or email.

My parents refuse to leave the cc on for me, I even get yelled out for turningthem on. My tv has cc on 24/7. My parents also yell at me, like when I am listening to music, they will sit there and yell and yell and yell. When I finally hear them or look over or what not they are super angry. I do have my phone 24/7 and my smart watch which vibrant when I get a text so they could text me. When my husband can't hear me I go and tap his shoulder or make sure he can see my lips or just sign to him. When some one losses their hearing but was born and raise and started their own hearing family it is hard for everyone else to adapt. Remember deafness is invisible.

We didn't have CC when my parents were alive but when the phones came out with volume control I told my mom if she brought one for when I visited her I would put a safety bar in my bathtub for her . I kept my part of the deal but when I flew 3,000 miles to visit mom she didn't buy the phone for me ! My older was upset too so at least I got support from her.
I had a small child and if she got hurt or sick , I would had a hard time making a phone to a doctor. You would think your parents would be more supported and put the CC back on for you.

If there is a deaf around, the CC must stay on. No if or /and buts.
I always ask my friends while visiting to please turn the CC/sub on. and they oblige. otherwise how am I supposed to join in the fun?

re: getting attnt. - would buying a cheap small laser pointer be considered impolite?
it has a strong light. and it would be seen from afar. just don't point it at the eyes, face.
And remember to NEVER EVER point a laser pointer at the aircraft. of any kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPtyDFTObg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C_jgjOuNrg

It is really dangerous to do so. and it can be you sitting in a plane flown by a pilot blinded by a LP which some idiot down there decided to 'greet him' with.

Fuzzy

I noticed non-signing HOH often married to hearing people. I rarely see two HOH married.

I noticed non-signing HOH often married to hearing people. I rarely see two HOH married.

My husband and I are both hoh, I more so than him but he still has his limits and no ha like I do. But yea I don't see a lot either, unless 2 older people loss hearing around the same time.

My husband is hoh/deaf but like many was raised Hearing. He doesn't sign. He wasn't aware of Deaf culture or deaf as more as a group til he met me - I was working in Summers at that time for a public school recreational program for deaf elementary school students; the program included Deaf staff and the on-site supervisor was CODA/native signer. So I think that's part of it, mikemike.
I don't -think- I was hoh when I met him in college back in '89. We got married in '95. I was aware of hearing changes for me maybe about 6-7 years ago and ID as hoh. I sign some, but poorly.

If there is a deaf around, the CC must stay on. No if or /and buts.
I always ask my friends while visiting to please turn the CC/sub on. and they oblige. otherwise how am I supposed to join in the fun?

re: getting attnt. - would buying a cheap small laser pointer be considered impolite?
it has a strong light. and it would be seen from afar. just don't point it at the eyes, face.
And remember to NEVER EVER point a laser pointer at the aircraft. of any kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJPtyDFTObg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C_jgjOuNrg

It is really dangerous to do so. and it can be you sitting in a plane flown by a pilot blinded by a LP which some idiot down there decided to 'greet him' with.

Fuzzy

My daughter and granddaughter stayed over night and my granddaughter
was watching one of her movie and she put on the CC so I could watch it too if I wanted to . She talk loud to me too so I can hear her better .
:D

My daughter and granddaughter stayed over night and my granddaughter
was watching one of her movie and she put on the CC so I could watch it too if I wanted to . She talk loud to me too so I can hear her better .
:D

Reminds me of my little sisters. Every time I'm at my mother's house and sit to watch the television, my sisters are always yelling, "put the words on Mommy, It's a cartoon he can't read their lips."

They're pretty awesome.:D

Reminds me of my little sisters. Every time I'm at my mother's house and sit to watch the television, my sisters are always yelling, "put the words on Mommy, It's a cartoon he can't read their lips."

They're pretty awesome.:D

My granddaughter was watching a cartoon called ' The Tick '. :giggle:

WDYS and otherwise that's cool about the experiences with some family members and the captions.

we always have the captions on for some time now. My hub can't use them as he doesn't see well enough or read fast enough but I use them all the time. he always makes sure they're there for me

I like that. Please never be afraid to demand the CC are put for you.
I always ask for CC to be put on in dr's office, etc.
If somebody says " I don't know how to.." I say calmly "You know, I have a right to watch TV, too. all you have to do is find a menu and put them on. You may have other deaf people in future who'll ask for CC, too".
sometimes I offer to do that myself. and teach them, too.
The thing is to make them understand we won't let it slide without making a fuss. A loud fuss lol
If they say - because sometimes they have audacity to - say "it bothers other pple" - I say "that's too bad. how about me, how am I supposed to understand what is begin said? You can not discriminate against disabled".

You know the weirdest ****up about the CC I ever saw? a TV with no CC in hearing dispenser/ audiologist office. talk about being thoughtless.

Fuzzy

I like that. Please never be afraid to demand the CC are put for you.
I always ask for CC to be put on in dr's office, etc.
If somebody says " I don't know how to.." I say calmly "You know, I have a right to watch TV, too. all you have to do is find a menu and put them on. You may have other deaf people in future who'll ask for CC, too".
sometimes I offer to do that myself. and teach them, too.
The thing is to make them understand we won't let it slide without making a fuss. A loud fuss lol
If they say - because sometimes they have audacity to - say "it bothers other pple" - I say "that's too bad. how about me, how am I supposed to understand what is begin said? You can not discriminate against disabled".

You know the weirdest ****up about the CC I ever saw? a TV with no CC in hearing dispenser/ audiologist office. talk about being thoughtless.

Fuzzy

I will do this too at doctors offices , I will ask for someone to put the CC on for . Sometime another person in the waiting room will try to do it for me. I asked people if they can really hear the TV and they'll say the volume not on. LOL!

I never bother with doctor's offices or anywhere else for CC because 95% of the time the tv is too far away for me to even be able to see it. Even ones hung on the wall at about eye level-ish...no matter where I sit wouldn't be able to read the captions anyway. I always wondered why there were TVs there- and almost always muted (unless the volume level is at a level I can't detect...).

I never bother with doctor's offices or anywhere else for CC because 95% of the time the tv is too far away for me to even be able to see it. Even ones hung on the wall at about eye level-ish...no matter where I sit wouldn't be able to read the captions anyway. I always wondered why there were TVs there- and almost always muted (unless the volume level is at a level I can't detect...).

Same here. I've never been able to understand why the TV's are so high. Just have them on the ground somewhere or don't have them at all? It's not like anyone can see them anyways..

Even when they are (on the rare occasion) on the ground, I'm way too shy to even ask for the staff to put on the CC :aw:

Back