Hard Decision...

BrainDork

Reaction score
I've thought about doing away with my hearing aid.

I can hear quite well with them but too many times people think that I can hear because of my lip-reading and hearing aid.

I think sometime it is a matter of torn identity because I never was involved in the Deaf Community and just now am finding myself as a deaf person. It's been a long journey but the confusion is still there.

When I move, I plan on joining the local Deaf Club and go from there.

Has anyone been in this situation before and how did/do you handle it?

I can hear quite well with them but too many times people think that I can hear because of my lip-reading and hearing aid.

I think sometime it is a matter of torn identity because I never was involved in the Deaf Community and just now am finding myself as a deaf person. It's been a long journey but the confusion is still there.

Many people have been in the same situations like you, like myself. I get the same thing all the time when people think that I not deaf. As for torn identity, yes, i feel the same way...I feel like I'm in between worlds. I have the ability to communicate with deaf people and hearing people with sign language and speaking skills.

So, you're already taking the first step by joining a Deaf Club. Scope out people who are more well known in the deaf community and open about accepting someone like you. Get involved by volunteering to do something for them. That's what I did. I joined my state's pageant and I met more deaf people and got more involved with the community through fundraisers and stuff like that. Over time, you will find yourself whether you like it or not.

My father always thought I was safer wearing hearing aids because it alerted other people before interaction that I was deaf.

Maybe if you are only going to associate with the deaf community it will work out ok without aids.

Many people have been in the same situations like you, like myself. I get the same thing all the time when people think that I not deaf. As for torn identity, yes, i feel the same way...I feel like I'm in between worlds. I have the ability to communicate with deaf people and hearing people with sign language and speaking skills.

So, you're already taking the first step by joining a Deaf Club. Scope out people who are more well known in the deaf community and open about accepting someone like you. Get involved by volunteering to do something for them. That's what I did. I joined my state's pageant and I met more deaf people and got more involved with the community through fundraisers and stuff like that. Over time, you will find yourself whether you like it or not.

Although I know it's tough... I'm glad that someone knows how it feels and that I'm not the only one...

I'm also trying with the college (public, state-funded university) to get more deaf students in and to hire more transcribers and interpreters as more deaf students come.

So I'm starting out little... but we'll see where it goes from there.

I'm also trying with the college (public, state-funded university) to get more deaf students in and to hire more transcribers and interpreters as more deaf students come.
Maybe it might be better to go to Gally or to NITID. Public colleges SUCK so badly at accomondations for dhh/ tradtionally disabled kids.

Maybe it might be better to go to Gally or to NITID. Public colleges SUCK so badly at accomondations for dhh/ tradtionally disabled kids.

I beg to differ. I've been to community college and 2 state colleges. They were very accommodating to my needs. maybe it varies state to state?? :dunno:

I agree with jiro123.

I'm fairly accomodated considering I'm the first deaf student who is demanding these resources.

Some public colleges suck. Some provide excellent accommodations.

BrianDork, it doesn't matter if you are still wear hearing aids in deaf community. I saw many people wear hearing aids and some don't wear. That's their choice to wear or not. If you're used with hearing aids in your whole life. If you like to hear. Deaf community can't do anything with hearing aids or not wear. It's doesn't matter to them. I am still wearing them. I like to hear. Deaf community don't mean you need to stop wear hearing aids. If you're comfort to wear or not. It's your decide. :)

I hesitated to answer this at first as I am hearing, and therefore, can only give you experience second hand.

My son decided at the age of 12 that he no longer wanted to wear his HAs. Now, 10 years later, he will wear one HA on the right side in some situations, but refuses to wear the left one because the sound is so distorted on that side that it interferes with his discrimination from the right side. About 90% of the time, he chooses to be HA free.

I beg to differ. I've been to community college and 2 state colleges. They were very accommodating to my needs. maybe it varies state to state?? :dunno:

I agree with jiro123.

I'm fairly accomodated considering I'm the first deaf student who is demanding these resources.

I'm sure you're both right, that accommodations may not only vary state to state, but even college to college.

Another telling factor may (or may not) depend on the individual's degree of deafness. When I was hard-of-hearing but could hear some with two hearing aids turned up full, administration and faculty seemed more willing to agree with and follow through on accommodations than after I became totally deaf.

The same is now proving true with medical facilities. It's a huge crap-shoot.

I'm sure you're both right, that accommodations may not only vary state to state, but even college to college.

Another telling factor may (or may not) depend on the individual's degree of deafness. When I was hard-of-hearing but could hear some with two hearing aids turned up full, administration and faculty seemed more willing to agree with and follow through on accommodations than after I became totally deaf.

The same is now proving true with medical facilities. It's a huge crap-shoot.

unfortunately true... depending on available resources and budgets they have

Does your pendulum swing?

I find that the key to happiness (for someone who is "satisfactorily" hard of hearing) is to find the balance.

You've lived your life with hearing aids all your life. Now, the pendulum swings to the extreme opposite after having been on the previous extreme opposite.

My gut feeling says that you'll let it swing and, shortly, you'll start finding out what you like and dislike about being hard of hearing. Hopefully, when it swings back, you'll know your balance.

Go ahead and take them out. Find out more about yourself. Nobody will be on the sidelines to criticize you. Mind you, when you meet with family, you'll probably be inclined to put them in. (They're family, enough said.)

From here on out, it's all about finding the balance that works for you. There are no deadlines and no penalties. Do it and learn.

Us, here, at AllDeaf will marvel at how much territory you've covered - and some of us might fully relate.

Back