H.S. Student Needs Help with ALS class to take

rjfar

Reaction score
:wave: Am in High School,(Public) and I am deaf, I have an I.E.P but due to my Beta club status I don't use much assistance. I found it dam near impossible to take the REQUIRED Foreign language requirements to graduate, tried Latin but the teacher insisted to speak the dead language so that did not work out well I dropped it with a B but only 9 weeks and no credit - hated it could understand to speak it, idiots,so my parents pulled me and wrote off that with a wavier> I want to graduate with a full High School itinerary so want to take ASL as my language. Got it approved...However... the High School doesn't teach it, and I want to get the credits for a foreign language. So am looking for an accredited class that will give me 2 credits in ASL. Please help, I am in East TN were there is nothing but cow poop around and no schools offer it or college near here. I sign already but not ASL which is a bit different so I need just to go though and relearn some of this. Please help with any info you may have, did the research and saw several sites but I knew you folk coukld guide me to the correct one to do. Thank you all and Please get back to me ASAP I will need to work on this ASAP. Thanks all.:laugh2:

You need to get it written into your IEP that your school foreign language requirements get waived, and not have it affect your graduation requirements. I was also waived from any music requirements as well. I took study hall or IEP teacher meetings as an alternative.

It's awesome that you want to take ASL -- please pursue it. But don't let the fact your school doesn't offer it, and lack of availability anywhere else, from affecting your graduation requirements.

:wave: Am in High School,(Public) and I am deaf, I have an I.E.P but due to my Beta club status I don't use much assistance. I found it dam near impossible to take the REQUIRED Foreign language requirements to graduate, tried Latin but the teacher insisted to speak the dead language so that did not work out well I dropped it with a B but only 9 weeks and no credit - hated it could understand to speak it, idiots,so my parents pulled me and wrote off that with a wavier> I want to graduate with a full High School itinerary so want to take ASL as my language. Got it approved...However... the High School doesn't teach it, and I want to get the credits for a foreign language. So am looking for an accredited class that will give me 2 credits in ASL. Please help, I am in East TN were there is nothing but cow poop around and no schools offer it or college near here. I sign already but not ASL which is a bit different so I need just to go though and relearn some of this. Please help with any info you may have, did the research and saw several sites but I knew you folk coukld guide me to the correct one to do. Thank you all and Please get back to me ASAP I will need to work on this ASAP. Thanks all.:laugh2:

What's Beta Club Status? I am wondering........could you maybe take an ASL course over the summer somewhere? Maybe contact TSD and see if they might have any suggestions? Tennessee School for the Deaf Contact the Outreach...Our School - Outreach Services - Tennessee School for the Deaf
Your question isn't directly answered, but maybe they could help you.
You know......Maybe an option might be going to camp at NTID or Gally, and then also taking an ASL class through them. Or maybe you could go to camp at TSD, and then take an ASL class locally.

Back