Guy with voice disorder

Traveller

Reaction score
Hey,

I got a voice disorder for a few years already. You can not call me mute. I can speak but not much.

On the one hand that makes things easier. I can communicate in daily life and use my voice sometimes for important conversations. On the other hand, I feel like I'm stuck between two places as I do not completely belong to any community. I often have the feeling if I would be completely unable to speak, people would be better able to work with that. Because I talk a little, I often make a rude impression on people as I do as little conversation as possible.

I already learned a bit of sign language two years back. I did not continue because I simply did not have people around to practice with. Also, there is still a good chance to recover my voice in the long term. So I always hoped this happened and did not learn more sign language because of that.

Are people with voice disorder part of the extended deaf community? Or where would you sort them in?

Welcome, there are a lot of hearing mutes/'mutes' that use asl. I wouldn't say they are a part of the Deaf community per say. It would be like saying a non verbal autistic person that signs is part of the Deaf community. It is an open community but some find other communities they also fit into.

You could be a NERDA (Not Even Related to a Deaf Adult)* ^.^

*humorous post.

Welcome, there are a lot of hearing mutes/'mutes' that use asl. I wouldn't say they are a part of the Deaf community per say. It would be like saying a non verbal autistic person that signs is part of the Deaf community. It is an open community but some find other communities they also fit into.
I think it depends on what you mean by nonverbal austistic. Profoundly autistic and uses very basic sign for basic communication needs? No, but there are high functioning nonspeaking austistic people who use sign as an expressive language due to apraxia. There's even an apraxia program at St Rita's School for the Deaf, as well as a Communcation Center at Beverely school for the Deaf (for hearing kids who use sign as an expressive langugae)

I think it depends on what you mean by nonverbal austistic. Profoundly autistic and uses very basic sign for basic communication needs? No, but there are high functioning nonspeaking austistic people who use sign as an expressive language due to apraxia. There's even an apraxia program at St Rita's School for the Deaf, as well as a Communcation Center at Beverely school for the Deaf (for hearing kids who use sign as an expressive langugae)
That is very interesting but I am talking about high functioning auststic that use asl but don't know deaf culture or pride, just the language. That is very cool that there is a deaf school that helps other people other than deaf

Back