Gunman, hostage dead after high school siege

I wonder will the parents will run to lawyers and Sue the state of colorado and sue the board of education cause of lack of security.

That is just plain sick and evil to come into a school then rape at gunpoint then kill her and then turn the gun on himself.

CNN.com - Colorado sheriff:*High school assault of 'sexual nature' - Sep 28, 2006

Colorado sheriff: High school assault of 'sexual nature'
POSTED: 12:42 p.m. EDT, September 28, 2006

Story Highlights
• NEW: Police search gunman's car, where he appeared to be living
• Slain hostage Emily Keyes, 16, used as "human shield," shot in back of head
• Suspect identified as Duane Morrison, 53
• Witness: Gunman forced males out of Bailey, Colorado, classroom

BAILEY, Colorado (CNN) -- A gunman who killed a student hostage and then himself during a high school standoff in Colorado "traumatized and assaulted" his hostages and the attack "was of a sexual nature," police said Thursday.

Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener identified the gunman as Duane Morrison, 53.

After police stormed the classroom and Morrison's body was removed, Wegener said authorities found a semi-automatic pistol and a revolver. (Watch sheriff reveal what made him order the raid -- 3:05)

A witness to the standoff said the gunman wanted to take only girls hostage.

Cassidy Grigg, 16, told NBC's "Today" that the man first forced the male students to leave the classroom when he took a class hostage Wednesday afternoon at Platte Canyon High School, in Bailey, southwest of Denver.

Grigg said the man fired a warning shot while entering the classroom and told students to line up facing the chalkboard. (Watch what questions remain about the gunman -- 0:56)

"He was going from right to left and he tapped me on the shoulder and he told me to leave the room," Grigg told "Today."

"I couldn't turn around and I told him, you know, I said, 'I don't want to leave,'" Grigg said.

"It was apparent to me that he wanted the females in the class. He turned me around and he pointed the gun in my face and told me that it would be a good idea if I just left."

As he left the classroom, Grigg said, another female student was just coming in the door. He pushed her out of the doorway and they left the building together, he said.

Grigg said his initial reaction was to stay in the room with the female students.

"I wanted the girls to have some support in the room," he said.

The man held as many as six girls hostage and had released four, one at a time, before police stormed the classroom. The gunman fatally shot 16-year-old Emily Keyes, who Grigg said "was one of my first friends." (Read how Keyes will be remembered as a 'great kid')

"She was always sweet, she always welcomed people," he said. "She was just friendly, she was a good person in general."

Grigg said no one recognized the man, who he said was trying to look like a student by carrying a backpack and wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

"He was just an old guy that came on a mission and I think he got what he wanted," he said.

The man, who was holding two hostages when SWAT police stormed the room, shot Keyes in the back of the head, officials said. The gunman then shot himself. Keyes was pronounced dead at a hospital in Denver.

Joe Morales, executive director of Colorado's Department of Public Safety, told reporters the man was using Keyes as a shield, and she was shot as she tried to escape.

Morales said police heard the two hostages screaming before they entered the classroom, something that "moved up the tempo of the operation a bit."

Negotiations with the gunman broke down when he began relaying demands through the hostages and then threatened that something would happen at 4 p.m., Wegener said Wednesday.

"It was then decided that a tactical solution needed to be done in an effort to save the two hostages that were in the room," Wegener said.

'Scared to death'
Authorities have searched Morrison's car, in which he appeared to be living, the sheriff said.

Wegener said the suspect did not have much of a criminal history and only minor things were on his record.

Bailey is not far from Columbine, where two students killed 12 classmates and a teacher before killing themselves in 1999.

"I know we talk about the Columbine connection," Wegener said. "This is something that has changed my school, changed my community.

"My small county is gone," he added.

"I've gone from upset to angry that this man has done this to our community, has done this to our children," Wegener said.

On Wednesday, Wegener said he was "scared to death" as he was deciding whether to order police to storm the classroom.

"Nobody wants anything to happen like this at their school," said Wegener. He said his own son was in the building. Asked whether he was second-guessing his decision, Wegener said, "I have to go and eventually I have to face a family about the fact their daughter is dead. So what would you do?"

When police arrived, the gunman told them he had a bomb in his backpack, Wegener said, but after it was over, he said, "It looks like there was nothing in the backpack."

Yeah i saw both of your posts ..Jolie it was right on news yesterday... Oh BOY nowadays World gets worse... No one are safer anymore...

I wonder will the parents will run to lawyers and Sue the state of colorado and sue the board of education cause of lack of security.

Buck.. Liberalism has nothing to do with this crimes... dont need your rantings... discuss with us reasonable PLEASE...Do I have to kneel and beg you to discuss with us reasonable instead of your famous rantings???

Its the Truth porkie.Its Liberalsim and Violance on TV and at the movies cause people get like this.If the FCC would go back to strict rules on programming maybe those good old days would come back.

Its the Truth porkie.Its Liberalsim and Violance on TV and at the movies cause people get like this.If the FCC would go back to strict rules on programming maybe those good old days would come back.

Buckdodgers actually does bring up alots of good points if you really stop to think about it.

Well, I don't think security is going to help but make the students feel more restricted.

We didn't have a metal detector at the school I used to attend and yet we never had such a situation.

It's a social problem and security being increased isn't going to solve these problems. Far too many people resort to using guns to "solve" their problems.

Ugh.

It just to prove the Liberal Democratic Partys GUN LAWS DONT WORK!!!! Those laws make the decent ordinary person cant protect himself with a 30 waiting period to buy a gun.Criminals dont walk in a gun store to buy a gun.THEY STEAL GUNS!!! And the GOP ANTI GUN LAWSUIT DOESNT WORK NETHER!!! The republicans made a law you cant sue Gun companies or Gun store owners for wrongful death.Rush Limbaugh has the Solution to crime. CHANGE CRIMINAL BEHAVOR.... MAKE THE CRIMINALS THINK!!!! Show them what happens when you murder someone Like the DEATH PENALTY!!!! Look at the State of Florida and Texas.Both of those states have the lower crime rates.Both Florida and Texas you can shoot someone whos tresspassing on your property and shoot em without question.Its called "" MAKE MY DAY LAWS"" And The Cops will arrest the guy who try to break in your home or try to rob or rape you but you wont be arrested cause the new make my day laws TAKE THE POWERS AWAY FROM THE POLICE But Other states the Police will arrest the guy who violated you and they will arrest you with ""Illegall possesion of a firearm""In Floruda has a very tough law against criminals.Its called..The 10-20-death Law

10-20-DEATH

10 YEARS IF YOU USE A GUN
20 YEARS IF YOU PULL THE TRIGGER
DEATH IF THE VICTIM DIES

THATS HOW YOU SOLVE CRIME!!!

The shamans have been having a lot of visions like this lately in the past few months.

Its a sign that Americans are going mad, real mad, and something has to be done in the field of psychology to detect and contain people's personal problems that lead up to these tragedies.

Richard

The shamans have been having a lot of visions like this lately in the past few months.

Its a sign that Americans are going mad, real mad, and something has to be done in the field of psychology to detect and contain people's personal problems that lead up to these tragedies.

Richard

Again,Its because of TELEVISON & MOVIES why people are like this.Politicans use the power of the media to brainwash you with your votes.Before Televison was invented you didnt see a campaign ad that bashed up his opponment.You didnt have liberal reporters go and make BIG HEADLINES how the republican made a racist statement.I gurantee you a lot of politicans used the N word from 1780s-1930s and the media didnt make a big deal over it.

Buckdodgers I understand your point of views
which made a lot of sense there were too much
"influence by television and movies" having
some liberal impacts toward these children who
grew up & became adults Thats why I noticed
some Christian families began to turn off these
TVs and Radios away from their kids

People apparently did NOT understand the
power influence controlled by Media

Yeah I recalled Charles Bronson's movie
"Death Wish" did you ever see that one ?

People apparently did NOT understand the
power influence controlled by Media

Yeah I recalled Charles Bronson's movie
"Death Wish" did you ever see that one ?

Yeah i saw it,,,Thats how Bernard Goetz got the idea from cause the police wont do their jobs to protect you.

Banning "violent movies and TV" is not the answer. Parents need to teach the difference between right and wrong, reality and make believe. Banning all the TV, music, and movies in the world will do NOTHING when you still have peers, family, and society with violent tendencies.

Teach everyone from a young age to respect reality and understand the consequences of violent actions will accomplish what Buckdodgers thinks, "Ban ban ban" will do. Banning does NOTHING.

Back