Greetings From South Carolina

Turtley

Reaction score
Hi all! :wave:

Interesting and lively forum you have here. I've been lurking for a little while to see if I would fit in before finally joining.

I was born with sensorineural (SNHL) hearing loss and with a low birth weight of just under 3 lbs. I got my first hearing aid at age 7 which was a Zenith body aid like the one pictured elsewhere on this forum but I kept breaking the cord going to the receiver while playing. My parents finally just put it up as they couldn't afford to keep having it repaired.

I didn't get another hearing aid until age 15 which I wore in my right ear. I wore a single BTE aid for several years before I got a complete set for both ears. I've worn Beltone brand BTE aids for years before going with Siemens BTE aids for my last two sets. My current aids are Siemens digitals but programmed as analog which are now 5 years old. It's time for new aids!

Now I'm going total digital with my recent order last week for a pair of the Phonak Brio P-UP from Costco at $2600. I was told by the audiologist at my ENT office that I would be difficult to fit but not impossible and would require a top of the line set of aids.

I have severe to profound SNHL hearing loss along with some conductive loss as well.

Last edited:
Hi! I posted that Zenith body HA and I had one just like it. I tried to take it apart to see how it worked . My dad was always taking things apart to see how it work , I was very lucky I was not able to take it apart ,my dad would had taken me apart .

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@whatdidyousay,
Yea, I got the same model body aid that you posted about in 1960. The spring clip would be clipped to my shirt pocket with the cord going under my collar to the receiver in my right ear. I wished I knew how much it cost back then but I'm sure it was expensive.

I used to take things apart too to see how they work. My first job was repairing telephones on a military base. Later I was a machine shop mechanic and later still repairing computes. I never did take any of my hearing aids apart as I depended on them. Lol!

ahh the Zenith body aid! I had one between the ages of 2 to 12 (same one.. I don't think it was ever replaced- the cords were replaced multiple times and molds). If I ever find it again (Last I looked I know my mother kept the thing), I'll have to snap a pic. I used a harness though- I can't remember if they were purchased or if Mom made them...

Welcome aboard :)

I still have one of those old Zenith aids. I put a picture once, but not sure where it is in my house now.

I also wore the body aid til I was in 7th grade til I kicked a boy for bullying me in school.. that changed pretty fast over night with my parents..

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

@whatdidyousay,
Yea, I got the same model body aid that you posted about in 1960. The spring clip would be clipped to my shirt pocket with the cord going under my collar to the receiver in my right ear. I wished I knew how much it cost back then but I'm sure it was expensive.

I used to take things apart too to see how they work. My first job was repairing telephones on a military base. Later I was a machine shop mechanic and later still repairing computes. I never did take any of my hearing aids apart as I depended on them. Lol!

I got mine in 1954 and had to wear it under my dresses in a harness that went on like a bra. My dad owned a buckle factory with a brother and dad took thing apart to see how they worked so he would know to fix it if it broke.
Dad was fix his own watch , he open the backed study the way it worked and I would watch him and wanted to do that too . I was 8 yo and I don't think I really realize how my HA was helping when I first got it.

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

I still haven't found where I can put my signature in yet. Maybe I don't have enough posts yet.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

I still haven't found where I can put my signature in yet. Maybe I don't have enough posts yet.

Go to your account and click on 'User CP' it's in the left hand corner at the top then go to 'Setting and Option ' and see if 'Edit signature ' is there , if not you'll need to made more comments , I am not sure how many you need.

I checked several times for it today and its not there so I thought it may be a post limit that I need to meet first.

Thanks!

Welcome and good luck.

心头影事幻重重,化作佳人绝代容。
跨鹤高飞亦壮哉,云霞一羽雪皑皑。

I checked several times for it today and its not there so I thought it may be a post limit that I need to meet first.

Thanks!

You could ask a mod how many posts you need to have , I forget what it's. You could start a thread about something you want to talk about .

Back